AMA: (Really) River

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #290759 by
Replied by on topic AMA: (Really) River
Why do you have such trouble with discipline around physical things like eating well and exercise?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #290762 by
Hmm, that's tough. Let me float some answers here, and I'll see which feel(s) right:

1 Maybe being outside of beauty norms keeps me safe from unwanted sexual interest and advances.

2 Maybe if I can't do things, things won't be expected of me and I won't let people down.

3 Maybe I'm embarrassed / ashamed to demonstrate how much I struggle doing physical activity, so I avoid it.

4 Maybe I'm addicted to the endorphins of sugar, because I don't get consistent feel-good brain chemistry anywhere else.

Interesting, those all seem at least partially right. But the two that kinda stopped my breath for a moment were 2 and 4.

More
6 years 9 months ago #290770 by Leah Starspectre

ReallyRiver wrote: Hmm, that's tough. Let me float some answers here, and I'll see which feel(s) right:

1 Maybe being outside of beauty norms keeps me safe from unwanted sexual interest and advances.

2 Maybe if I can't do things, things won't be expected of me and I won't let people down.

3 Maybe I'm embarrassed / ashamed to demonstrate how much I struggle doing physical activity, so I avoid it.

4 Maybe I'm addicted to the endorphins of sugar, because I don't get consistent feel-good brain chemistry anywhere else.

Interesting, those all seem at least partially right. But the two that kinda stopped my breath for a moment were 2 and 4.

GET OUT OFF MY BRAIN. I have the exact same issues, and from one Jedi to another, you may find that as you progress through your studies, you might get better at this. As of now, I have short bursts of time when I'm able to, with much help, do better by myself as far as discipline goes. And I'm working at making those bursts longer. :) And if I can do it, I'm sure you will be able to, too!

And for good measure, here's my question:

What do you feel was the most defining moment of your life so far?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #290775 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:
GET OUT OFF MY BRAIN. I have the exact same issues, and from one Jedi to another, you may find that as you progress through your studies, you might get better at this. As of now, I have short bursts of time when I'm able to, with much help, do better by myself as far as discipline goes. And I'm working at making those bursts longer. :) And if I can do it, I'm sure you will be able to, too!

And for good measure, here's my question:

What do you feel was the most defining moment of your life so far?

I'm really relieved to hear that someone I look up to, who to me seems so put together and Jedi, has some of the same struggles I do. Gives me hope! Thank you :)

As for the question, that one's easy :)
The most defining moment is when I first held my son. He had a chromosome deletion and I knew he would not live beyond a few minutes. He lasted ten. Can you imagine, getting to spend your entire life in your mother's arms, no one ever being angry or disappointed in you, able to make your intended mark on the world in just 10 minutes?
I'm so blessed, and so proud, to be Kahlil Israel Nuri's mother, whether his essence is with me or in the next phase of this crazy journey.

And personally, my labor with him was the first time in my life I'd exerted control about how I wanted things to go. I knew I'd have such a short time with him and I needed things to go exactly right. I was completely present in the moment, completely in my body, and.... the world didn't end, lol! Not even close. That's when I realized I didn't have to live in dissociation any more, and could become a "real person." Kahlil taught me so much :)

Attachment FB_IMG_1481152749356.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #290777 by Leah Starspectre
*sniff* I'm not crying! You're crying!

Thank you so much for sharing such a personal and inspiring story. <3
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Avalon,

More
6 years 9 months ago #292441 by Lykeios Little Raven
Ummm, not sure how to follow that last question and answer...

What are your...oh, make it top three...greatest strengths? (Goodness, I sound like a hiring manager in an interview...)

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #292512 by
My top three greatest strengths...Hmm...

My experience. I've been really lucky to have experienced a ton in my life: loads of challenges, tons of travel, met so many diverse people and cultures.... I have a lot of experience to draw on, whether it's for meeting new challenges or story telling.

My imagination. It's great for arts and crafts, hanging out with kids, keeping myself entertained, et cetera... But I love having a huge imagination the most because I think it increases my empathy. I find it pretty easy to imagine myself in someone else's shoes.

And finally, probably my generosity. I really like giving presents, big tips for good service, helping out people in a tight spot, paying for the table next to mine at restaurants.... One if my favorite is to put paper money in the pages of my favorite books at bookstores and libraries, for the next person who reads or buys the book to find.

More
6 years 9 months ago #292530 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic AMA: (Really) River
Because this is the easiest question for me to come up with and the one I'm most curious about:

If you could live anywhere for a year - baring the country which you currently live, were born, and any additional countries you've already lived in - where would you live, why would you live there, and what would you do while you were there (doesn't necessarily mean job)?

And if I've already asked you this, I'm sorry!! :unsure: :whistle:

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #292557 by
You haven't :)

If I could live anywhere other than countries I've already lived in...?

Finland. Totally. I've loved Finland since I was a kid, but never quite made it there. I'd love to live in the lakes district there. So beautiful! I love the culture as well. While there I would just spend time exploring, soaking up the culture; definitely do a few trips up into the Saami territories. Love me some Lapland! I'd love to volunteer at some of the amazing Finnish schools, too.

I can already say "thank you" in Finnish so hey, half way there, right? ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #292558 by
How are you feeling today ?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi