AMA: Leah Starspectre

More
6 years 9 months ago #288697 by Leah Starspectre
I discussed these AMAs with another Jedi, and told myself that I wouldn't do one. Especially since I'm basically an open book....

BUT despite my reticence, my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I am an open book, but are there things that I've not shared with my community that they'd benefit from knowing?

I'll leave that for you to decide. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288699 by
Replied by on topic AMA: Leah Starspectre
I know you pretty well now, sister, but I've always been curious...

What first inspired you to actually create your own costumes for cosplay and other performance arts?

And, if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? If I go to your neck of the woods in Canada, where should I visit?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288701 by
Yasmin and i where wondering how old you are :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288703 by
Heads or tails? XD

Also, why Jediism?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #288704 by
Who is your favorite Apprentice and why is it Atticus because of the tree frogs?

More
6 years 9 months ago #288706 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic AMA: Leah Starspectre
Are you the same person all the time, or do you have different faces for different situations, like I do?
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 9 months ago #288711 by Leah Starspectre

Senan wrote: I know you pretty well now, sister, but I've always been curious...

What first inspired you to actually create your own costumes for cosplay and other performance arts?

And, if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? If I go to your neck of the woods in Canada, where should I visit?

It started with my Dad telling me, at about age 12 that he wouldn't be buying my halloween costumes anymore. So I started making my own! That grew into historical costuming, half because I wanted to look like a princess, and half because I was inspired by characters/historical figures. My earliest true costumes were based on Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Boudica, Danielle from "Ever After", Arwen from "Lord of the Rings", and Scarlett O'Hara from "Gone with the Wind" (make of those choices what you will, haha!).

When I learned cosplay was a thing, I took to it straight away, having a background in costumery already. Again, my cosplay choices are pretty tell-tale: Brienne of Tarth *Game of Thrones), Ronon Dex (Stargate: Atlantis), Elsa (Frozen), Samurai Jack (Samurai Jack), and Commander Shepard (Mass Effect) being the notable ones.

By the time I got to burlesque, it just made sense to make my own costumes. :P

If I could travel anywhere, I'd probably go somewhere I generally can't afford to go. So, I'd say either Seoul, South Korea (to visit the people I haven't seen since I left 9 years ago), or Dharamsala, India (to see the Dalai Lama teach)

If you were to visit my neck of the woods, I'd say to come to Ottawa either in February for Winterlude, or in May for the tulip festival. Or in the fall for hiking in the glorious autumn colours. I'd also suggest you stop by Montreal, because it's close to Ottawa and Quebec is like another planet, ha ha!

Amyntas wrote: Yasmin and i where wondering how old you are :laugh:

LOL! I'm thirty-two and a quarter!

Arisaig wrote: Heads or tails? XD

Also, why Jediism?

Definitely tails. It just seems like more fun.

And Jediism appealed to me because it seemed to be the marriage of western culture and eastern philosophy. This, for me, is ideal. It also tickles me in all the right nerdy places. :P

Atticus wrote: Who is your favorite Apprentice and why is it Atticus because of the tree frogs?

You might as well ask me who my favourite child is - you know, if I had children...

I'm gonna give the cop-out answer that all the Apprentices I'm close to are my favourite for different reasons, but I CAN tell you that Atticus is my favourite for his good-natured humour, of course! And tree frogs - but that's just a given.

steamboat28 wrote: Are you the same person all the time, or do you have different faces for different situations, like I do?

I would say I'm variations on a theme rather than different faces per se. I am a social chameleon, so unless I'm with people who know me quite well, I'll shift my vocabulary, attitude and body language quite a bit. It's always just a tweak of who I am at my core, though, just slightly different versions of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , ,

More
6 years 9 months ago #288720 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic AMA: Leah Starspectre
Question: when will you be coming to Ecuador to visit me?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #288724 by Leah Starspectre

Manu wrote: Question: when will you be coming to Ecuador to visit me?

Funny you should bring that up... I JUST had a friend tell me I needed to take a trip to South America. SO I guess my next big trip will include visiting you. And I think I remember chatting with someone who was in Brazil that I have to visit too, but I can't remember who it was :P

Also, when I can speak Spanish better :P
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

More
6 years 9 months ago #288728 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic AMA: Leah Starspectre

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Manu wrote: Question: when will you be coming to Ecuador to visit me?

Funny you should bring that up... I JUST had a friend tell me I needed to take a trip to South America. SO I guess my next big trip will include visiting you. And I think I remember chatting with someone who was in Brazil that I have to visit too, but I can't remember who it was :P

Also, when I can speak Spanish better :P

Well, Kyber is in Brazil, I'm sure he'd be muito obrigado to receive you ;)

Also, you don't need much Spanish here, pretty much everyone is taught English since elementary school, because we are tourist friendly and obsessed with North American culture.

So, see you soon :laugh:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi