Rick & Morty: The Search For Meaning

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #288297 by
This is an interview with Dan Harmon, the co-creator of the animated series on Comedy Central's Adult Swim "Rick and Morty". Dan shares his thoughts about the meaning of life as presented on the show. Through the characters, we get a glimpse of the struggle to find meaning in a chaotic and meaningless universe. If you've never watched the show, it is a lot deeper philosophically than most give it credit for, and it is worth exploring as a Jedi.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/the-search-for-meaning/#qNQXI85rvaqE - remove the "s" from the "https" in the link if it gets added automatically

Would you agree with his assertion that the universe is devoid of meaning? If so, do you agree with the premise that in an otherwise meaningless world, it is important to find meaning in every passing moment, or put more simply, to live in the NOW?
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by . Reason: Grammar, fixed link

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #288304 by MadHatter
I do agree that the universe has not inherent meaning and the only inherent purpose of life is the reproduction of the species. However, the meaning we give things is very important and something on can spend a lifetime refining. So living in the how is important but being aware of the impact of your actions on the future is just as important.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #288317 by
Wow, I didn't realize how deep this show was. Ever since I finished lesson 1 of the IP, I have tended to see it as "living on the now" rather than worrying about what's going to happen. Don't get me wrong, it's good to THINK about the future but I don't worry about it as much as I used to. Living in the now helps us focus on what is truly important.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #288323 by

Senan wrote: Would you agree with his assertion that the universe is devoid of meaning? If so, do you agree with the premise that in an otherwise meaningless world, it is important to find meaning in every passing moment, or put more simply, to live in the NOW?

I love this show to death, and have watched every episode several times. (I know, I need help. :p) But I have pondered and debated with fellow R&M fans about the meaning of the show, the meaningless of life within this fictional universe, and what is the purpose of all this?

From living within a microverse (miniverse, teenieverse, ECT), or perhaps being trapped within the most complex of computer programs such as the popular game Roy (where one lives out a life as a character named Roy, where you are free to make all your own decisions and the game only ends when you die (however that is)), how can we tell anything is real?

Truth is, we can't. We could be a brain in a jar, being zapped with electric pulses to simulate reality in all it's glory while we are studied by aliens. We could be the result of a reality TV show (as seen in South Park)... so in the end, what is the meaning of all this?

Unfortunalty, I am stil relativly young, and am by no means a wise guru that can give out the knowledge of the world. But I have found one constant.

Life is what you make of it.

In the words of Jospeh Campbell, "Follow your Bliss". My bliss right now is this place. It's a safe haven. I also am back at pursuing my passions (my writing, my love of Star Wars, my career). Be the best you you can be, and hope for the best in the end.

I don't agree that there is no meaning. But if there truly is no meaning, then to live in the now is the only logical answer.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #288347 by OB1Shinobi
Ive never seen Rick and Morty. I didnt know it was a show about the search for meaning... to be honest i thought it was about the search for romance lol

Anyway
Declaring that the universe is devoid of meaning seems to me to be just as presumptuous as picking a meaning that you like and declaring that this must be THE MEANING... actually i think its the same thing: the "no meaning" meaning is itself a declaration of meaning. Know what i mean?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 8 months ago #288733 by Adder

MadHatter wrote: I do agree that the universe has not inherent meaning and the only inherent purpose of life is the reproduction of the species. However, the meaning we give things is very important and something on can spend a lifetime refining. So living in the how is important but being aware of the impact of your actions on the future is just as important.

Living in the 'how' versus living in the 'now'? :D
I like it!!! Or was it a typo??

My thoughts on the OP are if one considers themselves part of something larger, then it makes more sense that the experience of 'being' is going to be less resolved then simply ones point of view (unless one was omnipotent), and then so require some effort to define both the structure of any relationships and their flows. So yea while time is an illusion to some extent, is change an illusion? Probably not, but understanding things for how they change, and seeing ourselves as part of might be what allows the endeavor of refinement. Change is possible, but not all change is possible.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #288748 by
I believe the most any of us can say is "I don't know."

But, even in that sense, we should try and create meaning in the face of nothingness. It's only our nature.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi