A word to Initiates

More
6 years 10 months ago #287792 by Breeze el Tierno
I am writing to those who have completed, or will soon complete, the IP. Ideally, the next step is to find a teaching master, and I wish you all the luck with that. I will also offer a bit if practical advice.

Do not sit idly and wait to be approached.

Please have a look around the forum and find a Knight who is involved in the sort of thing you want to do. Find a Knight who embodies the principles and ideas you want to incorporate into your life. If you find a knight who's posts speak to you, contact them.

Please don't ask for an apprenticeship right off the bat. It's a big commitment and you both should know what you're getting into. Start a dialogue. Ask some questions. Form a relationship. Create an opportunity for people to get to know each other.

If a Knight contacts you, great! You should still take your time. If not, don't collect dust. Look around. Take some initiative.

Good luck out there!

P.S.

I don't speak for the Temple at large. It's just good advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Wescli Wardest, Ben, Zenchi, Cyan Sarden and 5 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #287794 by
Replied by on topic A word to Initiates
Well said - so often an unsolicited message begins "I have been told by [insert name of Knight] to speak to prospective Masters, so I am messaging you". For me, that's something of a turn-off... how about getting to know me personally before deciding whether or not to shortlist me for a lifelong commitment...?

Not a big thing, but a pet peeve... messages like that reveal a lack of consideration and thoughtfulness I would seek in an(y) Apprentice. How about speaking to Masters personally (without sucking up!) and seeing whether a friendship can be struck up? Because if not, that's not the right Master for you anyway.

Thanks for the post, Cabur.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287797 by
Yes! Please reach out and get to know me. I'm an open book.

While I do check on journals from time to time, I can't read every post. It helps Knights get to know you when you take the initiative to ask questions. Most of us don't bite :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287798 by
And for others, biting is a speciality... :evil:

More
6 years 10 months ago #287800 by Carlos.Martinez3
Once done I took some time to think. I took time to meditate and actually made it a point. Real time. At the end of the ip we , some of us share a hope, not that you act like joseph c. watts or Jiddu but to see that they are there and fully avalible to use for every the every day man. It's a big thing I think after that time to stop and look at what was presented and choose a direction, your own, a few if we like! We are fans here first, I'll be the first to drop but now the opertunity to dig a bit deeper and grow a bit more can be a very possible thing every day or as often as we choose. To choose a TM here is a great thing . Every one here is capable and willing . We have many roads. Many paths and none are in competition. That's one of many ideas we share! If it's more than a patch you want , seek and you will find my friends!
May the Living Force be with y'all!
Still in your wake with gladness my brother Cabur ! Lead the way!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287803 by
This is very helpful for us newbies! I'm actually a bit terrified to finish my IP for the reason of not knowing who I may get. I know that there is a thread that has an introduction for the knights but out of all those, how do we truly know who is active or not? I know some knights (like all of us here) are busy and not online on a regular basis so is there any other way we can find who is?

It seems like a lot of knights keep to themselves so it's, to me anyways, going to be like finding a puppy in a bathtub full of treats, haha.

Thanks for the advice!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #287804 by
Many Knights have duties here that keep them busy in other areas of the Temple, but they are still here. We need to do a better job of popping into other parts of the Temple now and then.

As to whom you may "get", it is a mutual decision. The Knight and Initiate both need to agree to the relationship. Often it comes after establishing a relationship in chat and the forums, or even on other media like Skype or Facebook. An Apprenticeship is a big deal, and it is a lasting commitment on both sides, so it is important to give due consideration to whom you consider a good potential Teaching Master.

Don't be afraid to reach out to any Knight with questions. You'll get an honest and sincere answer.

EDIT: Also, you can reach out to Knights at any time. Don't feel like you have to wait until you are finished with the IP. Often the bond is formed over conversations about the IP assignments and other forum topics long before the IP is done.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by . Reason: One more thought

More
6 years 10 months ago #287805 by Carlos.Martinez3
There will never be a activity bar I don't think. One person may log in every day one may log in every week or on a monthly basis. Not a label that helps . What does help is your .... Definition of active . Find it out and actually see by your ... Definition ...what's active . That's not the easy answer but hey Jedi, welcome !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287817 by
I guess 'get' was the wrong word, haha, my apologies. I guess it's to the knight's introduction thread we go! thanks for all your advice guys!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi