Meditation: Incense

More
6 years 11 months ago #282521 by Kit
Meditation: Incense was created by Kit
If you meditate with incense, do you prefer something that is a kind of backnote, sets you in the mood but is easy to ignore in favor of the meditation, or something prominent to use as a focus itself?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282522 by
Replied by on topic Meditation: Incense
Depends on the meditation and mood. I love both :)

More
6 years 11 months ago #282523 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Meditation: Incense
Backnote for me. I usually light it, let it burn for 10 seconds or so and then put it out. I wouldn't mind it being stronger, but I think the smoke isn't too healthy in a closed room.

Function-wise, I'd say it helps me concentrate on the breath during formalised vipassana sessions. It just adds a tad more "tactility" to the breath (not sure how to describe it, but I think those who are using incense will know what I mean).

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
6 years 11 months ago #282524 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Meditation: Incense

Cyan Sarden wrote: Backnote for me. I usually light it, let it burn for 10 seconds or so and then put it out. I wouldn't mind it being stronger, but I think the smoke isn't too healthy in a closed room.

Function-wise, I'd say it helps me concentrate on the breath during formalised vipassana sessions. It just adds a tad more "tactility" to the breath (not sure how to describe it, but I think those who are using incense will know what I mean).

Have you considered using oils instead? No smoke and still adds substance to the air I feel :) (probably depending on the kind of scents hehe) Tends to be more expensive but with the quality stuff, a little goes a long way.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #282525 by Cyan Sarden

Kit wrote:

Cyan Sarden wrote: Backnote for me. I usually light it, let it burn for 10 seconds or so and then put it out. I wouldn't mind it being stronger, but I think the smoke isn't too healthy in a closed room.

Have you considered using oils instead? No smoke and still adds substance to the air I feel :) (probably depending on the kind of scents hehe) Tends to be more expensive but with the quality stuff, a little goes a long way.

That's true - I've tried that but my choice of oil was unfortunate (tasted a lot like the perfume my grandmother used to wear :-) and so didn't do it again. But it's actually been on my shopping list for a while, will definitely give that another try.

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Cyan Sarden.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #282526 by Kit
Oh and here's more good questions:

what scents do you like to meditate to and do you prefer resins (or dried flowers/leaves), cones, sticks, or oil?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 11 months ago #282531 by Cyan Sarden
At the moment I use sticks (called "Magnificents (sic) Diamond").They're made by a Japanese company called Shoyeido. They're also available in the US (they have a subsidiary in Boulder, CO). It contains sandalwood, frankincense, cinnamon and ginger lily. The sandalwood is the most dominant note, I'd say.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
6 years 11 months ago #282533 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Meditation: Incense
I have quite a bit of incense which I have never thought to use in this way. What type of oils would you recommend?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
6 years 11 months ago #282539 by Kit

Rosalyn J wrote: I have quite a bit of incense which I have never thought to use in this way. What type of oils would you recommend?

Short lesson on oils:
When talking about incense oils there are two kinds:

Essential Oils are derived from the plant or resin. They can be quite expensive, but tend to have a more accurate scent and sometimes are believed to be more powerful. (example: Lavender, amber, frankincense, myrrh)

Fragrance Oils: Oils that are blended to mimic the scent of what they're named for. If you don't go through a good company, it can be iffy on how they turn out. Some scents can NOT be essential oils based off of what they're made of or perhaps the expense of producing wouldn't be worthwhile. Dragonsblood and vanilla will always fall in this category.

Be careful when choosing Essential Oils, they're very very popular and so many companies are selling under the name without them actually being essential oils. You'll tend to end up with a poor product. (learned that the hard way...)

As far as scents go, it depends on how I want to feel. When I want to feel protected, safe, and secure it's Dragon's Blood (also empowering for me) and Frankincense and Myrrh. Calming is lavender or gardenia. Honeysuckle for childhood. Anything labeled with rain when I want to feel....light.

The way I tend to pick them out is I'll sniff them then notice how they make me feel. Then use that when I feel like I need a boost in that area XD Overall, anything musky and earthy tends to be my favorite.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282541 by
Replied by on topic Meditation: Incense

Kit wrote: Oh and here's more good questions:

what scents do you like to meditate to and do you prefer resins, cones, sticks, or oil?

Sticks & Oil :)

Opium, Sandlewood, Nag Champa, Strawberry and our local oriental store sells one called "Pussy" yes..yes...I know....but it smells delightful! Its always empty from high demand XD

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi