Compassion and Understanding

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #278987 by Proteus
I watched this on youtube, "I grew up in Westboro Baptist Church and this is why I left" and I felt it was something important to share here with all of you.

When I listened to her, I thought about what she was saying on a number of different levels, on a world scale of religiousy, politically, socially, but also of the smaller scales, like the way we communicate here in the temple toward anyone who we don't agree with and even find ourselves wanting to be repulsed or personally insulted by.

If I may... I would like to ask as many of you as possible to listen to this woman for what could be a very important 15 minutes of your day, and whether or not you respond in this thread, it would be nice if you simply reflected on what she says for yourself and your path as Jedi, and in the future both near and far, do whatever you can to be reminded of the points made here whenever you encounter anyone who rubs you the wrong way.

Thank you. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVV2Zk88beY

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Avalon, OB1Shinobi, Tellahane and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #279214 by Proteus
I suppose this might be a shameless bump since I'm not sure if many really got to see the thread. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #279230 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Compassion and Understanding
I love the 4 key points!! So very true. Almost like a mandatory viewing if we ever build a group dynamics or cult modules perhaps.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 weeks ago #279237 by
Replied by on topic Compassion and Understanding
The cure is care
Care leads to connection, which allows for the cure to our disease to happen.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 weeks ago #279239 by
Change begins with you, and its an inside job.
If you want to change the world - change yourself.
Create the world that you want to live in around yourself.
Do the work, because only you can.

Four steps:
assume open, clear intent.
Ask questions: Listen, ask, share, ask
Ease and calm. Hold your center, calm cool and collect. maintain the stance that you want to have in the conversation verse mirroring or matching.
Make the case, ask the questions, and engage.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #279382 by
Thanks you for sharing, I liked it very much. The message is very relates to the Temple philosophy.
Somehow the key points are reflected in the Doctrine but this give us tools to communicate in a different way, giving the other opportunity to make their point without judging , being empathic and trying to get where they come from, their framework and paradigms. Opening the conversation asking questions, not being afraid of discussing and exchanging opinions, to actually make our argument and being clear about it. This discussion doesn't mean a fight but an exchange of opinions, point of view and event the background that lead us tho reach those thoughts, then we can start a real conversation from the understanding of the other. Remaining calm and respect is a key factor and I continuously work on this, to think before answer, to cool down before giving my opinion, not to judge and if I must, to understand first.

I will be sharing this in and outside of the temple.

Thanks
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #279387 by OB1Shinobi
i enjoyed the video a lot.

what i took from it was that its ok to disagree with people, and its ok to talk about our disagreements honestly. we dont have to take it personally when someone sees things differently and we dont have to interpret it as waging war on each other. people can value each other even when they have different opinions.

the steps she suggests are pretty logical. not easy, but simple, like she said.
thanks for sharing this

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #279979 by Alethea Thompson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVV2Zk88beY

This is a powerful TED Talk. It's good to look at from just the prospective of life, even when it's not applied to the political. I recommend listening to the video. I believe this is pretty well sums up my views on Tolerance as it's described in the Jedi Compass.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #279980 by JamesSand
I think we had this already, quite recently?

Do they merge threads around here?

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #279981 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Compassion and Understanding
We did. Proteus shared it in this thread: https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/117831-compassion-and-understanding

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi