Globalism vs. Nationalism as a Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275187 by
I guess my comment was more cultural than biological - sure, keeping up walls is a great policy in terms of quarantining us (and our genes). I guess I'm just less interested in survival in such a quarantined, sterile, pessimistic world...

I also have tremendous faith in our capacity as a species to tackle whatever challenges we face, assuming we are able to come together. Country 1 is wiped out. Country 2 is wiped out. Country 3 doesn't see it coming... whereas the global community hears of the issue in Country 1 and tackles it head on before it can a) spread and b) utterly destroy the country.

Crude analogy but perhaps you get my idea :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275188 by Brick

tzb wrote: Crude analogy but perhaps you get my idea :)

I like the analogy. I must admit I'm guilty of having an often pessimistic outlook.

The great think about being a pessimist though is that I'm either always proven right or pleasantly surprised ;) :laugh:

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275235 by
I am very pleased with the discourse this thread provided, as I further my studies into Jediism I struggle with Nationalism more and more.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275239 by Brick

Nicholasos wrote: I am very pleased with the discourse this thread provided, as I further my studies into Jediism I struggle with Nationalism more and more.

For me, a great deal of Jediism is the 'balance', just look at the code and creed. Whilst we all have our leanings in support of one thing or another, I always try to remember that whatever it is i favour, can often not exist without the presence of whatever it is I'm not so keen on ;)

Everything has its pro's and cons. It is, to quote Stu's words (though perhaps not in the same context), about letting it all 'flow of this into that into the other'

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
7 years 2 months ago #275240 by Carlos.Martinez3
My personal balance is not and never will align with those who do not share my ideas view and concerns. Kinna, to me it's my session to be what I am and how I do. That bein said , I love here in the real world. Laws rules ... They are there as well as millions p definitions for our own persuite of our own idea of happiness. What ever the land I will be me. It is to me to find the way , ways , to do so if I want so. I remember when I first began to see other gongs around me and it's EASY to place blame. It's even easier to get stuck there with the blame and never get past it. When each individual take their own ideas and build rather than ... Conform ... Things change . To the ones to the left of me ... Hi to those on the right ... Hello . To those in front of me hi and those behind me hi!
It was one thing to see these things finally , it was the change when I began to goose for myself and not take the common or the normal into account .
The ability to not be too some times is all we need to see then, watch out world!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 2 months ago #275243 by Manu
Globalism and Nationalism are big words with a myriad of associated meanings, so to begin taking a look at the two, we have to separate, as many have here, the sentiment of "one humanity" from the possibility of "one leadership".

One humanity, which corresponds with humanistic (and Jedi) values, entails recognizing the inherent worth of all people, regardless of borders.

One leadership, on the other hand, has to do with how a global world might be politically structured, and is what I believe many perceive as the "dark side" of globalism: an elite implementing policies without feeling we are properly represented by said elite (not that such a thing does not happen now within our countries anyway).

In other words, yes, Jedi look at the neighbors next door and think "they are also people, and they deserve the same rights as I enjoy". But that doesn't mean we are ready to demolish our individual homes, build a single gigantic dwelling for all of us to live there, and then give up our leadership of this place to someone else.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
7 years 2 months ago #275250 by rugadd
As a Jedi, I feel global fits.

As far as national, as a Jedi, I don't think it really concerns me.

My interest is to limit myself as little as possible and names are just boxes for keeping ideas in.

Obviously there is way more here than anything so simple could so casually explain, but I am not a scholar in this area and believe an in depth look into these things on my part, here, would be a disservice to the reader.

rugadd

More
7 years 2 months ago #275260 by Proteus
Both are necessary for their respective reasons. The issue is becoming too enchrenched in one over another.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 2 months ago #275262 by ren
Neither. Nationalism is outdated and globalism not workable at this time.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, TheDude

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275764 by
I guess I will be the odd man out in this topic. I happen to think Nationalism is very important. To start off though, I am a retired Military man and thus have some deep exposure to nationalism. I find nationalism to be both important as a form of identity as well as a form of cultural balance. I have been to places in this world where Jediism would never be an acceptable practice, and would easily lead to death... and no, it is not only restricted to the Middle East. Our national walls provide a cultural protectorate which I find is vital towards the betterment of the overall world as we transition slowly and painfully through to a more globalized view. I do NOT think Jediism has a place currently as a Global phenomenon, it just has too little of a place in intolerant societies.

Sense of identity when it comes to nationalism was not always important, but before it was important identifying as a religious society was, and humanity was regulated to pockets of religious groups rather than nations with many faiths even if one dominated. I see Nationalism as part of the process of us transitioning into a global society, but one that will take time and effort from us as a species for quite some time. Identity when it comes to a nation/people has always been important to us as a people as well....we take pride in our sports teams for instance and feel a form of pride when our chosen teams do well (this being a lesser extent of the phenomenon). It is a bit fluid but I find as an American Military Veteran that Nationalism is very important stepping block, one that is necessary at this time. Do I know how we go from point A (now) to point B (global society?), no; but I also know that we cannot operate as a unified people at this time.

One thing I find true of many open societies, is that they are intolerant of closed societies and feel they must break those closed societies to "free" their people. This goes against the globalism goals of a generally unified people. I do think that over time as ideas spread and we become less centralized around massive government structures and more decentralized in ideas and acceptance of differences that borders will dissolve, but only time will tell. Right now I think for the preservation of open societies that nationalism in some form or another is necessary.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi