Misconceptions ? "Everything happens for a reason?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272792 by

Magnus Staar wrote: When you mention "reason", two separate things are included in that word:

1. Cause and consequence.

2. A hidden "will" or "meaning".

Cause and consequence is objective. You put your hand into fire, your hand burns.

A hidden "will" or "meaning" is subjective. You choose to see meaning or assign value/judgement to an event.

Excellent ! Now why would there be meaning to what happens to us ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272795 by Zenchi

MartaLina wrote:

Magnus Staar wrote: When you mention "reason", two separate things are included in that word:

Cause and consequence is objective. You put your hand into fire, your hand burns.

A hidden "will" or "meaning" is subjective. You choose to see meaning or assign value/judgement to an event.

Personal Interpretation? But that in of itself is subjective to the interpreter. It didn't "happen" to you, it was added after an event in your life, by yourself...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Zenchi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272796 by

Zenchi wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Personal Interpretation?

Ok but what is the meaning of that personal interpretation , does it help to know why things happen , do we want to know or do we comfort ourselfes with the quote that everything happens for a reason ?

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272798 by Leah Starspectre
I agree with Magnus.

Cause and effect is a real and understandable force in our universe. Meaning is what we ascribe to the effects we experince (especially if we're unaware of the cause).

I think it's human nature to want to assign meaning to our lives. Why? Because we can't possibly know if there is objective meaning to our existence (unless we're part of one big experiment done my hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional space mice?), so we create our own meaning.

If it helps you sleep at night and ward off your own existential dread, and isn't harming others, there is no reason why you can't find meaning/reasons for the things that happen in your life.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Breeze el Tierno,

More
7 years 2 months ago #272800 by Rex
To echo the common sentiment, everything natural has a cause. Sometimes you don't like that cause, and more often you don't know the cause.
From a purely existential viewpoint, you might as well not look both ways before crossing the street, since you have the radical freedom to do so. In terms of living in a way that creates meaning, I like Jean-Paul Sarte's idea of authenticity as a guideline of living the good life. You won't explain literally everything that happens, so finding contentment in what you do have is a small comfort. Some people live authentically by believing everything has a conscious purpose; if you disagree with that idea, who are you to tell them so, since they're living authentically.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 2 months ago #272805 by Amaya
I dont think everything happens for a reason
But I think in order to make sense of and live with events we find our own reasons for things.
It gives us a sense of some control and order.

Somethings just happen, there is no reason, explanations, chaos is as much a part of things as everything else.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 2 months ago #272809 by Manu

MartaLina wrote:

Zenchi wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Personal Interpretation?

Ok but what is the meaning of that personal interpretation , does it help to know why things happen , do we want to know or do we comfort ourselfes with the quote that everything happens for a reason ?

We comfort ourselves. But rather than being a lie, it is a willfull choice as to how we choose to perceive life.

Neo: "because I choose to".

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
7 years 2 months ago #272822 by Tellahane
I'm along the same philosophy as everything does happen for a reason, in terms of every effect has a cause, now what a lot of people tend to infer is that everything happens for a reason in that the reason is based entirely on intention, and that intention is managed by a single entity or even a group of entities.

The fact of the matter is I don't think humans can, or even in the near future, be able to comprehend all the possible events required or necessarily to lead up to any event happening to 100% accuracy. We can plan up to a certain point, and to a high probability, but there is never a guarantee. So I don't see the "reason" part of that quote as being intent as much the sum of several actions, or in actions reaching their conclusion.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272823 by

Gisteron wrote: In my opinion what to make of the phrase depends on - unsurprisingly - what is meant by it. If we mean to say that there is a thought somewhere at the root of everything that happens, I'd be very curious to see how anybody could possibly know any such thing. If this means that every effect has an identifiable cause, then that is as well something logicians have yet to prove using what ever colloquial meaning is typically used for cause, effect, and having, respectively. Nuclear physics would beg to differ with a statement like that, too.
But of course one might also take apart what it is we mean by "everything". Does that mean literally every event as a subset of a probability space? Does it only mean things that can happen, or perhaps only those that already did?
And in the same breath, what does happening mean? Are we talking about actions people take or just occurrences, instances of events from the aforementioned probability space?

So in the end, if someone says they do think that everything happens for a reason - or indeed if they say they do not - what have you learned about them from that statement? I say they would need to explain what they mean when they say it before I can take anything away from that conversation. Likewise, a simple yes or no, be it with or without explaining why, may just be that little bit too simple for a question phrased in a way that can be used to mean so many different things.

I understand what you are saying , i just wonder , does it have to be one or the other , does everything that happens have to have a reason , except from the fact that it seems comforting its not really adding anything to the things happening.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272830 by Zenchi

MartaLina wrote:

Gisteron wrote: In my opinion what to make of the phrase depends on - unsurprisingly - what is meant by it. If we mean to say that there is a thought somewhere at the root of everything that happens, I'd be very curious to see how anybody could possibly know any such thing. If this means that every effect has an identifiable cause, then that is as well something logicians have yet to prove using what ever colloquial meaning is typically used for cause, effect, and having, respectively. Nuclear physics would beg to differ with a statement like that, too.
But of course one might also take apart what it is we mean by "everything". Does that mean literally every event as a subset of a probability space? Does it only mean things that can happen, or perhaps only those that already did?
And in the same breath, what does happening mean? Are we talking about actions people take or just occurrences, instances of events from the aforementioned probability space?

So in the end, if someone says they do think that everything happens for a reason - or indeed if they say they do not - what have you learned about them from that statement? I say they would need to explain what they mean when they say it before I can take anything away from that conversation. Likewise, a simple yes or no, be it with or without explaining why, may just be that little bit too simple for a question phrased in a way that can be used to mean so many different things.

I understand what you are saying , i just wonder , does it have to be one or the other , does everything that happens have to have a reason , except from the fact that it seems comforting its not really adding anything to the things happening.

Does it need too? Again, individual interpretation. What's the purpose of searching for one answer that applies to everyone, when it ultimately comes down to the Individual in question. Unless we are only referring to cause and effect that begins outside of that individuals sphere of influence...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Zenchi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi