Sith

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #272323 by
Sith was created by
Alright, first off...
I am thoroughly enjoying my time here at Totjo, it is quite a friendly place and I enjoy talking with people. However I have already come across a few people who have the opinion that Sith are all self centred and that their teachings are all about power and being powerhungry and being on the "Dark Side" of the force.

Now, as a Sith this genuinely kind of offends me. Because instead of asking or having a discussion on the topic, that one line of thought is said and suddenly that's the end of the discussion. There are many ways the Sith code and teachings can be used, and the amount of situations where it could be used for good, outweight the situations where it could(And is) used for evil. I made an example of this on a comment on my stream a few minutes ago, which was "For example, I could use the sith code to pursue my passion of helping people and being kind, however a jedi could easily use their code to ignore the pain of others, and be deluded into thinking that peace and serenity is all that exists, causing pain to others." Now this is an extreme example and was written to show that neither the Jedi way or Sith way were inherently dark, and I think it does a good job of this. Most of us here lie on the neutral or grey side of the force. But this opinion that something that "Opposes" the Jedi way is on the dark side(even though an extremely uncommon opinion), is simply just incorrect and should be addressed so that we can dispel theses misconceptions for the good of all Jedi and Sith.

I'm open to hearing other peoples opinions/praise/shunning on this, as this is meant to be a discussion and I am interested to hear the opinion of others.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #272324 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Sith
Wise man once said, "Sith aren't sinners, and Jedi ain't saints," something like that anyways...

For the most part, the Sith philosophy is more self centered, in contrast to the Jedi philosophy. That doesn't necessarily make them dark, or evil. Perhaps a bit pragmatic...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #272325 by
Replied by on topic Sith
@Zenchi

It was a response to quite a few things similar to that I've heard, but I still do not agree. I often use the sith code to guide my actions to make people happy.
Example:

Peace is a lie, There is only passion = If I don't do anything(Peace) I can't help others(Passion)
Through Passion I gain Strength = Through helping others(Passion) I will be trusted more by people(Strength)
Through Strength I gain Power = Being trusted by more people(Strength) I can reach even more people and help them!(Power)
Through Power I gain Victory = Through my ability to reach anybody who needs help(Power) I have achieved my passion of helping people whenever I can(Victory)

The force has now freed me to pursue another passion.

More
7 years 3 months ago #272326 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Sith

Peace is a lie, There is only passion = If I don't do anything(Peace) I can't help others(Passion)
Through Passion I gain Strength = Through helping others(Passion) I will be trusted more by people(Strength)
Through Strength I gain Power = Being trusted by more people(Strength) I can reach even more people and help them!(Power)
Through Power I gain Victory = Through my ability to reach anybody who needs help(Power) I have achieved my passion of helping people whenever I can(Victory)

That is an interesting way or looking at it. Not sure I would agree with it, but we are all capable of holding our own interpretations of things. ;)

From all the self-proclaimed Sith I have spoken with, and I say self-proclaimed as others may not agree they follow the Sith path or that they are Sith, the major difference I can conclude between the two paths is the focus. One tends to focus more on the journey and the individual moment and the other tends to focus more on the outcome or end result and the drive.

I will not say that one is better than the other. Nor do I see any proof that would suggest so. I will say that depending on where people are in life that I believe one path may be more attractive than the other. Again, this has nothing to do with maturity, intellect or which is perceived to be better. Merely what one is looking for, one path may suit that need over another.

Monastic Order of Knights

More
7 years 3 months ago #272328 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Sith

Lexi Reklaw wrote: @Zenchi

It was a response to quite a few things similar to that I've heard, but I still do not agree. I often use the sith code to guide my actions to make people happy.
Example:

The force has now freed me to pursue another passion.

You have a unique perspective, nothing wrong with that. Just understand it doesn't match what most people interpret as being Sith philosophy, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Word of advice from a former Sith; care less what others think and say...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #272329 by
Replied by on topic Sith
Something else to bear in mind... you are not the first person identifying as "Sith" to visit the Temple, and many others have a very different perspective to you. This creates a communal understanding of what it is to be Sith, to call yourself Sith, to "act like a Sith" which varies wildly from your own personal application of that philosophy.

Good for you for walking your own path - just understand that the baggage which comes with the label is likely to be a persistent problem (as it is with those who label themselves Jedi, to be fair).

More
7 years 3 months ago #272331 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Sith
Were I a Sith, I wouldn't announce it.(Preconceived notions can be harming too my character, ie a social deficit before real interaction even begins)

Were I a Sith, I would go out of my way to help people( It is extremely useful, personally and professionally, to have people like me or have a sense of gratitude concerning my person)

Were I a Sith, I wouldn't focus on points of contention publicly. (This not only associates them publicly with my character, but draws unwanted attention to my agendas.)

But I am not a Sith, so don't take any of that to heart.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #272342 by
Replied by on topic Sith
Now, I am sure you are a good person, Lexi, so please couch whatever way you decide to interpret what I have to say further in this primary premise.

Ultimately, the lesson of the Star Wars mythos, per George Lucas, is that those who embrace the Dark Side of the Force ultimately wind up miserable because they inevitably become selfish in their desires; whereas those who embrace the Light Side ultimately find peace in the connections they make with others through their selfless actions. That's the "word of God", if you will, on the subject. However, that is not really satisfying to me, or to most people (I would imagine) who thirst for a more complete and rounded answer. So let's go ahead and look deeper.

Your interpretation of the code is extreme, and it comes across as biased because you have interpreted it uncharitably with the agenda of finding a way to make it come across as negative. In essence, what your Thinker has thought (The Jedi Code can be bad too) has been supported by your Prover (If I interpret it in *this exact way* it gives with my bias). This Thinker-Prover Complex is a psychological structure that many have used to talk about such issues, and I learned of it from Robert Anton Wilson's "Prometheus Rising" (great book, I seriously recommend it to everyone). Of course, you acknowledge that it was interpreted extremely, but you seem to give no room to negotiate the point that extremist views are a minority view in all cases (the majority is typically a Silent one).

Now, I understand perfectly well that you use the Sith Code to make other people happy. Certainly it reminds me of myself at a young age - I spent many years professing the Sith Code. What you seem to hold is a very Light Side interpretation of the Sith Code, and it runs contrary to how the Dark Side has ever worked in the mythos. A desire to help others runs contrary to the entire point of the Sith Code, as it is all about personal empowerment. Pride and self-aggrandizement are the core motivators of the Dark Side, and it's rooted in the use of emotions like anger and hatred to feel empowered. My own personal experience with those motivations and sources of empowerment have not been healthy, and most people I know who feed on anger or hatred as sources of strength only wind up suffering. The fact that it remains a constant in not just the Star Wars mythos but in practically all other myths across various cultures seems to indicate it is a sound piece of wisdom.

Let's go ahead and take a look at the Sith Code here:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Notice something very interesting - the word "I" is used four times, "my" is used once, and "me" is used once as well. Six out of the Seven lines in the entire code are about the Self. In the Jedi Code, either of the two versions, contains zero self-references. Things like Trust are not a form of strength or power - they're not supposed to be a currency or means to an end, but an end in themselves. If you're using people's trust, then ultimately you're using people. People will only stand to be used for so long before that trust is broken. Let's go ahead and take a quick look at the Jedi Code to compare fairly. I prefer the version of the Code that is older from the narrative perspective of the Star Wars Legends:

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

The "There is no...there is..." version of the Code gets a lot of crap because a lot of people are very literal. That particular version of the Code is misunderstood because it is rooted in traditional Eastern Philosophies which, if you don't know a lot about to provide the context, can be very misleading. What the Code is trying to say is that there is a relationship between Illusion and Actual Reality. Emotion, yet peace - Emotions exist, obviously, we experience them and must deal with them. However, there is also Peace - and Peace is the state of actual reality because it's what we return to between emotions. The first half of each line is, therefore, illusory - ultimately ephemeral in nature and fleeting. Ignorance can be erased with education, and knowledge is out there just waiting to be discovered. Passion gives way to Serenity, we cannot always be in an emotional state because our brains simply cannot handle it. We might perceive chaos in nature, but it ultimately is the agent of Harmony on a vast cosmic scale we might not perceive (imagine a cosmos with no Supernovas or galactic collisions or Super Massive Black Holes). At the end of the day the Jedi Code is about acknowledging reality as it is, rather than how we experience it from moment-to-moment, in an attempt to better cope with those experiences.

To wrap it all up, I think it is great that you are a passionate person, and that your passion seems to be helping others. I wonder a bit about your self-assignment as Sith, and where your personal hang-ups are about the Jedi. My opinions are really my own, and not to be taken as dogma - they come from years of self reflection and reading. While I do think I've reached a satisfactory truth for myself, you may not feel the same way - I am open to a respectful dialogue on the subject.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #272343 by
Replied by on topic Sith
You do you, I'll do me ^_^

Attachment download.png not found

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #272345 by
Replied by on topic Sith
So a question comes out of this discussion. Do you think there can be balance in ones life that encompasses both the Jedi and Sith Philosophy. That balance being one of having both a more self centered, focus on personal outcome in areas that drive one personally as well as focus on the journey and how it affects the all in the individual moment?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi