Professor J Peterson Against Political Correctness

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262761 by OB1Shinobi
far, far away, in a magical place called "CANADA", theres a bill called c16 which is meant to alter the Canadian Bill of Human Rights in such a way that if you do not address a person by the pronoun which they desire, then you are guilty of a hate crime

now this bill isnt saying that you have to use "him" or "her" in accordance with the way a person present his or herself, it is saying that a person can claim to be a zog or a libbellobbel, or some other made up and nonsensical word, and if you do not address them as such then you are guilty of hate-speech

a similar bill has been passed in New York, to those who are interested

a Toronto professor named Jordan Peterson learned of this bill right around the same time that his university decided that the faculty must all receive anti-discrimination and "unconscious bias" training

this professor does not believe that his university is especially discriminatory; he seems to believe that U of T is one of the most inclusive and well integrated campuses in the world

he also doesnt believe that "unconscious bias" is something that anyone is qualified to identify and "train"

he released 3 videos in response to this, each of them pretty long, and in the first one he says “I don’t recognize another person’s right to determine what pronouns I use to address them. I won’t do it.”

he has several points in the video and he doesnt elaborate much on the pronoun issue but since the first vid he has explained that we will use traditional pronouns based on how the individual presents his or herself

his objection is to the made up words

here is the first vid, its worth watching but its like an hour long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPgjg201w0

this stirred up a hornets nest!

the campus has had a free speech rally which was quite interesting

here is Prof Peterson having a pretty decent discussion with a young black woman, apparently associated with Black Lives Matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gakoqQz6aUc

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262762 by OB1Shinobi
and of course, a bunch of SJW's showed up and acted like fools

they used "white noise" to drown out people who tried to speak, they interfered with the sound system, and some of them even assaulted people

basically, they showed themselves to be a bunch of slimy little monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-IFcCY0m3E

the second one starts off a bit silly but it adds to the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4dc_rjD1GE

People are complicated.

More
7 years 5 months ago #262763 by OB1Shinobi
then the U of T asked Professor P to basically stfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S31Jf2WFTNU

here is his response, in which he suggests that the campus hold a series of public debates to discuss number of issues including but not limited to gender and pronoun usage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmNKPL1Y4g0

and apparently the U of T thought this might be a decent idea, and they agreed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19nihGC2NVc

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262765 by
Disclaimer: I haven't watched the videos. I'm at work and they won't play.

All I have to say is that calling someone by their preferred pronoun is simple courtesy. It's the same as calling them by their preferred name. If your name was Steve but I insisted on calling you Mitch all the time I'll bet you wouldn't like it much. How is the pronoun different?

I know that I prefer the long form of my name. I don't get mad if you use the short version once or twice but if I've corrected you and you insist on calling me by a name I don't prefer I will be upset. It is likely to cause us to not be friends. The same would go for pronouns since they too are descriptive of who we are.

That said, I do think that use of incorrect pronouns is enough to charge someone with a hate crime.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by . Reason: grammar problem

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262766 by OB1Shinobi
what if i wanted everyone i speak with in any context to call me "grandmaster funktastic, YEAH BIDGES"

or even better, "A Pimp Named Slickback"

yes the whole thing, even the "YEAH BIDGES" and "a pimp named" parts

??

i agree to the extent of calling someone by "him" or "her"according to how they identify

but can someone can make up some [strike]nonsense[/strike] totally new and probably arbitrary word that doesnt actually mean anything, and then have you punished with hate speech for failing to use it?

then what about those who identify as"furry" and believe that they are really girraffes or ardvarks or some other animal?

if people want to be addressed a particular way then fine, im ok with addressing people how they wish

the problem thats being called out here isnt that people want to be identified in different ways, but, as you mentioned, making it a crime not to

if people agree to call you zilbog or nanu-nanu or something then thats very kind of them, but its not a legal obligation and shouldnt be

a pimp named Slickback origin story (language)

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262767 by
I'm not sure exactly where I stand on this actual issue yet, but I know that some of the best professors I had in college were the ones who spoke freely and openly about what they believed, even if it wasn't necessarily in line with the university or politically correct. I learned more by disagreeing with them and being forced to defend my stance against them than I ever would by having my feelings coddled by a teacher who was afraid of offending me.

The best part about this whole debacle is that there will be a public debate organized by the university. I really hope both sides are represented by intelligent and articulate people who are well prepared to support their side of the issue. As much as this is a conversation about pronouns, it is also an amazing opportunity to get away from the keyboard warriors on social media and show how actual discourse should take place. I know I'll be watching.

More
7 years 5 months ago #262833 by JamesSand

the problem thats being called out here isnt that people want to be identified in different ways, but, as you mentioned, making it a crime not to

Somewhat off topic - I do find it curious that so many people oppressed by the stick are turning to the stick to essentially, do the same thing.

Swings and roundabouts hehe.

More laws is very rarely the answer.

(For anyone wondering, I have not had a chance to watch the videos yet- I'm going off the "vibe" of the discussion here)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262896 by

Goken wrote: That said, I do think that use of incorrect pronouns is enough to charge someone with a hate crime.

I misread my original post when I edited this. It originally said "That said, I do think that use of incorrect pronouns isn't enough to charge someone with a hate crime." But I thought it said "That said, I do not think that use of incorrect pronouns isn't enough to charge someone with a hate crime." So I edited it to it's current state by removing what I thought was the second of a double negative when in fact I was right the first time.

To avoid confusion I will restate that I do not think it should count as a hate crime to use the incorrect pronoun.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262904 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93NCyV5Hws

heres a transcript of the video

Warning: Spoiler!

im posting this because not everyone can watch the videos and plenty who can just arent going to, but if its printed for you maybe that will make the difference to just read it and get an idea of the direction

peterson made his original video because he interpreted the language of the bill to make it a crime of hate speech to even talk about gender identity and pronoun usage in a way that migh ofeend someone or "make them feel uncomfortable"

and he explains that in detail in the first video iirc
so his position is that
1) its stupid to make it a crime to have differing opinions, even on issues that are personally important
and
2) its problematic for university professors (for example) to be restricted by "feelings" when talking about issues as fundamental to life as gender
a person might not like what they hear but that doesnt mean it is wrong and in the business of (life) education, people need to be able to speak honestly about facts and issues even if some of that seems offensive to our feelings sometimes
and most importan
3) he has some expertise on totalitarianism and it often begins with laws which restrict speech, but these laws dont simply restrict speech, they require you to speak using only government approved language, which is a very dangerous direction for society to take

he said from the begining of his veides on this topic that he did believe that what he was saying was against the law, and that bothered him a lot

so basically he broke the law and posted it to the internet in order to call attention to the injustice of the law

thats pretty Jedi imo

People are complicated.

More
7 years 5 months ago #262935 by JamesSand
Welp, it turns out you're all guilty of thought crime.

I've notified the appropriate authorities.

Don't worry about answering the door, they won't knock :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi