Mentor-Protégé Relationships/Traits

More
7 years 6 months ago #260320 by Kit
The Temple's training relies heavily on the Mentor-Protégé relationship at all levels even beyond the Master-Apprentice roles. I have found that having a mentor is vastly important when I'm working on improving myself. They act as my compass when I find mine's spinning. And because I rely on them so much there are a few big things I look for in my mentors.

I need to become better in this to become a better mentor for my daughter, my Apprentices, my Airmen, and possibly anyone else I meet. So I'm wondering, what it is you look for in a mentor/training master? What are your requirements? Your necessities and your niceties? What are your turn-offs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Zenchi, Breeze el Tierno

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260321 by Amaya
I think this Temple is more self journey than reliance on any mentor.
Trust and honesty is all I look for in any companion on this path.
I think for myself words and actions should match.

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260335 by
This is a very broad questions as I feel the things I look for differ depending on what my Mentor is for.

Here at this temple I quite enjoy the hands off relationship I have with my Mentor. I know that if i have questions or a need to chat (or vent) to someone. He is there....And if he feels like there is something he needs to address with me or 'poke the bush of knowledge' from time to time, I listen and communicate back as needed. Otherwise, I am self motivated and run my own show. I love and respect that because thats the kind of person I am....I like to figure things out on my own.

As a mother I try and do the same thing with my daughters. I let them run their own show. The only difference is that I poke and address things far more often with them to keep them on track of rules, behavior, learning ect ect. Even with homework I try and let them come home and start it on their own, hovering in the background until they require help. They do really well this way and they love doing their homework as a result ^_^ So proud! I even found my youngest daughter doing her homework while i was out mowing the lawn. I was going to help her after the fact but she was already halfway done with no misstakes before I even put the mower away XD

Airman I will relate to my local Chapter Group - Fireteam... This is where it changes. We are there for a purpose. We are there to get into the dirt, drill, and train. I expect strict, firm, focused and directive teaching. I expect ducks to be in a row and a plan effortlessly executed. When i run a class i don't want to see lolligagging, swaying, and lackadaisy attitudes. I expect my class to fall in line and put all 101% focus onto the task at hand. With a free discussion afterwards which is just as focused but more open to the suggestions and coordination of team effort.

It really just depends on the scenario which can play anywhere on the scale of "Hand Free" to "Hard Core" XD haha
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by .

More
7 years 6 months ago #260338 by Edan
I have no requirements... It either evolves naturally or it doesn't. Successful mentor-mentee relationships aren't forced, they just happen.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260339 by Kit

Edan wrote: I have no requirements... It either evolves naturally or it doesn't. Successful mentor-mentee relationships aren't forced, they just happen.

It evolves naturally. Forced mentor-protégé "relationships" cause resentment often on both sides. Seen that enough *blah*.
Let me expand a bit. I want to make myself available to my people as a mentor if that's what they need and want from me. Basically all I know right now is to build trust, listen, and give them my time and interest.

My requirements in a mentor are: I have to trust them. They give me the time I need from them. They know how to listen. I know they genuinely care about me as a person, beyond what they can get out of me (work or otherwise). Their advice is good (mostly) or they have the balls to tell me they don't know and maybe how we can find out. They also will give me the hard answers I don't want to hear, but in a way that I know they care.

But I know that's what *I* need in a mentor and everyone works differently. So if I'm going to make myself available, I need to find out what other people are looking for too. These things "just click" but if you look, there's usually reasons they do.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
7 years 6 months ago #260340 by steamboat28
Those of you who think that you don't have a mentor are either completely alone in your lives without any other human contact, or aren't recognizing their influence for what it is.

I, personally, prefer a mentor who is willing to learn as well as willing to teach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kit

More
7 years 6 months ago #260410 by Amaya

steamboat28 wrote: Those of you who think that you don't have a mentor are either completely alone in your lives without any other human contact, or aren't recognizing their influence for what it is.

I, personally, prefer a mentor who is willing to learn as well as willing to teach.

No one has said they dont have a mentor.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 6 months ago #260426 by JamesSand

No one has said they dont have a mentor.

No one has said that no one has said they don't have a Mentor :laugh:

Some people might think it (here, or elsewhere, someone, somewhere has thought it) and Steamboat is addressing the concept,
"If you think you don't have a Mentor/s, you're not paying attention"

ie: I might think I don't have a mentor, but the local guy who runs a small bike repair business inspires me to start my own business
- Thus, I have a mentor of sorts. Even if we never sit and chat, even if I never tell him how I feel inspired by his ratty little business. His actions have driven and directed, mentored if you will, my own.

And, if I have not quite interpreted Steamboats meaning in this case, then I put it forward as my own thoughts :D

More
7 years 6 months ago #260427 by Amaya
A mentoring relationship is different than being inspired by a random person

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 6 months ago #260428 by Amaya
A mentoring relationship is different than being inspired by a random person

Everything is belief