Religious clothes and coverings

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258642 by
Replied by on topic Religious clothes and coverings

rugadd wrote: I think kinetic energy is a positive, but it most certainly can be inappropriately channeled. Like with bullets.

kinetic yea, but it's very negative to my chi (qi).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258648 by Edan

Sven One wrote: Apparently, he belongs to church of jediism.org/UK and they believe in their heads being covered at all times to block out bad emotions and energies..

Google them.... they have got themselves negative press because of this 'belief'... in my personal opinion, for no reason (the hood thing that is)...

And alas, nothing can block out the bad emotions coming from within...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Tarran, Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259498 by Tarran
I seem to remember a certain part of the greeting page of this, Our Temple, which had at one time read, "We are not a community of Star Wars role players" - a more than valid point to the general public, to be certain... but I suspect it was omitted in order not to be misconstrued as excluding cosplayers, who, like many of us do, like to have a bit of harmless fun from time to time. I think the main point being made to the public eye however, was that we are a serious lot, who aren't fuzzy about what is reality and what isn't - that we are not people who "want to live in Star Wars'', but rather are very serious about our philosophy/spirituality, about our focus on the Force, and it's studies. The we are not wrapped up in fantasy, but rather in the realities which certain stories/parables/legends may allegorically touch upon.

Having said that, in times of quiet, meditational solitude, or in attending a group ceremony in some functional capacity, it certainly isn't inappropriate to don a robe and/or hood. It's not out of place.

It's basically like seeing how, say, the Pope would go through llife, for instance; yeah, sure, we'll see him at some sort of Vatican function or other, or perhaps some peace talk with a political figure, etc., and he'll be all bedecked in all his fancy robe splendour, gold and jewel-encrusted Crozier in hand, yeah... but not if he's just headed to the corner mini-mart to pick up a roll of toilet paper, bag of chips, and a six-pack of brewskis.

Things have their time and place... appropriately...

A lot of people see different things in Jediism, and unfortunately, some get caught up in the entrapments of showiness, and start to believe that "the clothes make the being" - and some on the other hand, acually, do want to merely identify as Jedi... and this latter thing, there is nothing wrong with that. But we needn't live under hoods - we can very easily identify as the Jedi we are without costuming. A TotJO T-shirt, a TotJO keyfob, a mug, a sticker on our vehicle...

"Hey, what's that symbol?"
"Oh, that? It's a religious thing."
"Oh? Which?"
"Jediism."
"What?? Ha! Where's your robe, Obi-Wan?"
"No, man - not the movie thing, silly... the REAL Jediism."
"Huh? Tell me more... "

Deeds make us Jedi more than robes... how we carry ourselves among the rest of humanity... the examples of humane-ity we might find opportunity to humbly set. Let our distinctive clothing be our capacity to promote the siblinghood of Mankind, yes? ;)

MTFBWUA

- Tarran ^_^

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Tarran.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259502 by

Tarran wrote: I seem to remember a certain part of the greeting page of this, Our Temple, which had at one time read, "We are not a community of Star Wars role players" - a more than valid point to the general public, to be certain... but I suspect it was omitted in order not to be misconstrued as excluding cosplayers, who, like many of us do, like to have a bit of harmless fun from time to time.

I was one of the one's that spoke against the line. ;) I know a great many cosplayers who are also Jediists. They cosplay for a living, bringing happiness to children in hospitals and have a firm belief in Jediism aspects. It was not fair to single cosplayers out in order to make some "Point" or "Stance" our actions do that. A good example of wearing Jedi Robes for good causes

I also recently had a little banter with A Jedi in another group concerning Padawan Braids. He made it appear as if the braid was the most important symbology to receiving his Knighthood since it had reached a certain length, arguing length meant time and experience (Dunno about ya'all but my hair grows real fast ;) ) Anyways....he proved to be less than knight material in my eyes and is very very attached to Materialism which is a great example of wearing Jedi Robes for personal gratification and self worship. Bad Reason.

In the fictional Jedi beliefs, Jedi Behaviors, it teaches:

Conquer Materialism
"I wear my robe so that I am warm; I carry my lightsaber so that I am safe; and I keep enough credits for my next meal, so that I am not hungry. If the Force wants me to have more, it finds a way of letting me know."
―Kagoro[src]

Jedi were forbidden from keeping more than a few essential belongings. There were two reasons for this; first because they distracted a Jedi from the Force, and second because, as they emerged through the ranks, Jedi were required to leave for missions with extremely short notice, and so having many objects was a burden. It was rare for a Jedi to possess more than they could carry on their person at one time. wiki

At the end of the day I believe that people should decide for themselves what is acceptable and what isn't dependent on one's own personal practice and sittuation. Who is any of us to say their life and beliefs are not up to standard if we don't have any true standards to live up to? It is very commonly said that being "Jedi" is up to each individual person should decide for themselves what they wear.

"Oh but it will make the rest of us look non serious!"

Really? As long as you cling onto the name's "Jedi" and "The Force" You will always have people out there that scoff and say we are not serious. Just how it goes. The only way to change public opinion is not by our modern clothes...but our actions offline. Outside of this screen. And practicing out there...on the streets for all to see.

Just my thoughts ^_^

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259508 by Tarran

Trisskar wrote: I was one of the one's that spoke against the line. ;) I know a great many cosplayers who are also Jediists. They cosplay for a living, bringing happiness to children in hospitals and have a firm belief in Jediism aspects. It was not fair to single cosplayers out in order to make some "Point" or "Stance" our actions do that. A good example of wearing Jedi Robes for good causes

Yeah, I like that :) that rocks!

Trisskar wrote: I also recently had a little banter with A Jedi in another group concerning Padawan Braids. He made it appear as if the braid was the most important symbology to receiving his Knighthood since it had reached a certain length, arguing length meant time and experience (Dunno about ya'all but my hair grows real fast ;) ) Anyways....he proved to be less than knight material in my eyes and is very very attached to Materialism which is a great example of wearing Jedi Robes for personal gratification and self worship. Bad Reason.

Precisely my point.

Trisskar wrote: At the end of the day I believe that people should decide for themselves what is acceptable and what isn't dependent on one's own personal practice and sittuation. Who is any of us to say their life and beliefs are not up to standard if we don't have any true standards to live up to? It is very commonly said that being "Jedi" is up to each individual person should decide for themselves what they wear.

I think our standards to uphold ourselves to are pretty much everything on the doctrine page (I'm thinking I might've misunderstood something here), but beyond that, I don't see anything to disagree with you in that bit ;)

Trisskar wrote: "Oh but it will make the rest of us look non serious!"

Really? As long as you cling onto the name's "Jedi" and "The Force" You will always have people out there that scoff and say we are not serious. Just how it goes.

Kind of a little defeatist, those words, don't you think? After all, it isn't necessarily true. I've explained (without much trouble at all) to quite a few, about how this is real and serious, pointing out that the term "the Force" can be (and by many, is) seen as just a sort of "Esperanto term" for Qi/Jing, Prana, Akasha, etc. - "the Force" simply being a unifying term for all peoples and cultures who speak of the same thing, as they have for thousands of years. It's really grounding for them to understand it that way, in my experience so far. Nothing's impossible if you put your mind to it ;)

Trisskar wrote: The only way to change public opinion is not by our modern clothes...but our actions offline. Outside of this screen. And practicing out there...on the streets for all to see.

Just my thoughts ^_^

Yeah, I think that's pretty much what I was saying - though I'd replace "modern" with "any".

But yes, of course I'd want to be conscious (not overly hyper-conscious) of whether or not I appear ridiculous, considering what I hope to represent, so obviously I wouldn't be trying to go to a job interview with a robe and refuse to take off my hood - see, I was mentioning that type of extreme behaviour... the kind which might make anyone uncomfortable. The bit you mention above, the very appropriate and charitable deeds you point out, that is noble (in my sight anways).

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Tarran.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259519 by

Tarran wrote: Kind of a little defeatist, those words, don't you think?

Not at all :) I never said we should give in to other peoples beliefs of us (I personally could care less) Just that they are out there. In fact just yesterday my family and I went out to eat, ended up in line with a family of extremely religious individuals. They saw my husbands Star Wars shirt and said:

"Oh! I like star wars too."

My huband smiled politely and nodded saying he just liked the shirt. They responded however by saying

"You know what I like more?" They then held up a cross and waved it smugly at him before stating "You like him too, I can tell."

I answered by saying "No Ma'am. I Believe in The Force."

Should of seen all the huffing, puffing and rolling of eyes that came from them after that haha :laugh:

My point was simply that they are out there. Tis a statment of fact not one of Defeatism :)

"the Force" can be (and by many, is) seen as just a sort of "Esperanto term" for Qi/Jing, Prana, Akasha, etc. - "the Force" simply being a unifying term for all peoples and cultures who speak of the same thing, as they have for thousands of years. It's really grounding for them to understand it that way, in my experience so far. Nothing's impossible if you put your mind to it ;)

I was practicing Jediism long into Highschool and had a great many conversations with my classmates, teachers and even principle :) There were many who listend :) There were also many who used it as a reason to bully me ;) so....

But yes, of course I'd want to be conscious (not overly hyper-conscious) of whether or not I appear ridiculous, considering what I hope to represent, so obviously I wouldn't be trying to go to a job interview with a robe and refuse to take off my hood.

A little time back another group was dealing with a guy who was summoned to court. He refused to go to court without his robes despite being asked by the courts to not appear in them... Tisk Tisk....Time and place. Respect. Responsibility. A Jedi must be able to follow all parts of the "Doctrine" (Or codes, behaviors, ect ect) Robes are not the important part of ones life.

see, I was mentioning that type of extreme behaviour... the kind which might make anyone uncomfortable. The bit you mention above, the very appropriate and charitable deeds you point out, that is noble (in my sight anways).

I know :) I was speaking in general mostly. Buffering some of your words with my own. :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #259521 by Tarran

Trisskar wrote: Not at all :) I never said we should give in to other peoples beliefs of us (I personally could care less) Just that they are out there. In fact just yesterday my family and I went out to eat, ended up in line with a family of extremely religious individuals. They saw my husbands Star Wars shirt and said:

My huband smiled politely and nodded saying he just liked the shirt. They responded however by saying

"You know what I like more?" They then held up a cross and waved it smugly at him before stating "You like him too, I can tell."

Should of seen all the huffing, puffing and rolling of eyes that came from them after that haha :laugh:

THAT MUST'VE BEEN **SO** AWESOME!! LOL!!

Trisskar wrote: My point was simply that they are out there. Tis a statment of fact not one of Defeatism :)

My bad - I can see where I goofed now... I think I read that as "no-one will ever take us seriously, ever - just get over it" LOL It's a bit late here in Nagoya... I should be sleeping lol

Trisskar wrote: I was practicing Jediism long into Highschool and had a great many conversations with my classmates, teachers and even principle :) There were many who listend :) There were also many who used it as a reason to bully me ;) so....

I know the feeling. My inner 9-year-old, by the way, has been calling myself "Jedi" since 1977 - I totally feel for ya ^_^

Trisskar wrote: A little time back another group was dealing with a guy who was summoned to court. He refused to go to court without his robes despite being asked by the courts to not appear in them... Tisk Tisk....Time and place. Respect. Responsibility. A Jedi must be able to follow all parts of the "Doctrine" (Or codes, behaviors, ect ect) Robes are not the important part of ones life.

Right? lol

Trisskar wrote:

see, I was mentioning that type of extreme behaviour... the kind which might make anyone uncomfortable. The bit you mention above, the very appropriate and charitable deeds you point out, that is noble (in my sight anways).

I know :) I was speaking in general mostly. Buffering some of your words with my own. :)

*^_^*

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259523 by

Tarran wrote:

Trisskar wrote: Not at all :) I never said we should give in to other peoples beliefs of us (I personally could care less) Just that they are out there. In fact just yesterday my family and I went out to eat, ended up in line with a family of extremely religious individuals. They saw my husbands Star Wars shirt and said:

THAT MUST'VE BEEN **SO** AWESOME!! LOL!!

It was! :laugh: Later after they finished eatting they left out the door we were sitting by. My husband gave them a huge smile and waved at them politely XD it was great :silly: I know its prolly not polite to take humor in other peoples discomforts concerning beliefs but gosh....they soooooooo walked into it XD

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi