Religious clothes and coverings

More
7 years 6 months ago #257839 by Eleven
I was curious earlier this afternoon I ran into another believer in jediism named Zeebee. After first when I was checking while my cashier was on lunch I noticed he never took off his hood and found him to be rather odd at first. Then I begun to observe him and realized he was a Jedi. I called him out and he couldn't help but smile hiding most of his face under the hood. I took a break once my cashier got back and spoke with him. It was after all the first time I had encountered someone who believed in my area. Apparently, he belongs to church of jediism.org/UK and they believe in their heads being covered at all times to block out bad emotions and energies...

It got to thinking...is this something I should believe? Is he right? Hmmm...is this something as totjo believe? Not, that I aware of...

What are your thoughts?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, MadHatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #257841 by Tellahane
As far as my experience here on totjo, and one of the differences between here and church of jediism is that here it's not necessarily as important as what we tell you to believe as it is for you to know and decide on what you believe in yourself. If you feel that this is something that works for you that you believe has the same effect on you as far as blocking negative emotions and energies then go for it. If it's something that your not sure about or don't agree with then don't. No one here will look down on you either way as long as its something that you yourself believe, not necessarily something that we tell you to believe.

Here we teach you about doors you can walk through, it's your choice to walk through which ever doors you please, or not at all.

More
7 years 6 months ago #257842 by Adder
If a hood had shielding from electromagnetic energy it might be groovy to keep everyones wifi out, but the flipside is anything below and within it would be a parabolic reflector focusing it all internally into my brain!!!!!!!!!!!

So if he thinks its actually blocking other peoples energies, then it might be amplifying his own.... but I"m not sure how the material could possibly do that............... besides blocking vision - as a form of detachment from ones environment. While being a bit like sticking ones head in the sand it could be really useful for sleeping, or meditation if your susceptible to distraction. But being susceptible to distraction is one of the things which can be overcome with meditation practice, and since being detached from ones environment is never a particularly good thing I wouldn't be too keen personally to base an ongoing practice on what appears to be an elementary phase of meditative training, IMO.

But yea, I love a hoody to keep the sun out, wind out and warmth in, and I've often used one to meditate to sleep in winter for that blocking of light and retaining of heat effect (while laying down with my eyes shut).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 6 months ago #257843 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Religious clothes and coverings
To answer one of your questions - no, the TOTJO does not have any rules or recommendations regarding clothing...

Let me ask you then, Sven - if you're wondering whether this is might be something worth doing - do you think that a hood might be able to block out bad emotions and energies? And if so, how?

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 6 months ago #257844 by MadHatter
Well, emotions emanate from within so I would doubt the ability of any article of clothing to block negative emotions. Unless it makes you feel good that is :P

As far as if it something you should look into or do well that is up to you. There is nothing within the Temple that encourages or discourages that practice. So it is for you to look into and decide if it is of benefit to you. With that in mind, here are some questions I think might help you look into the matter:

Will it help your practice as a Jedi?

Will it make you feel more like a Jedi?

Could it hinder you in life in any way?

What do you feel are the negatives or positives to the practice?

Are there more negatives than positives?

Consider those questions and it might well help you form your own opinion. As far as my thoughts: I do not see any benefit to doing it all the time. I have my own items that act as a personal reminder of my path but I do not much such a clear display of it as I see not benefit in doing so.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

More
7 years 6 months ago #257852 by JamesSand
I would not wear a hood (Outside of climate considerations)

I see little gain, I feel Jedi should be open and up front with the community, and unless there is a good reason for anonymity there is no need to appear mysterious.

If I may asked, what was it that you observed that told you he was a Jedi?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #257857 by
Replied by on topic Religious clothes and coverings
special clothes are not necessary to be a jedi, there are also no clothes properties to repel negative energy, at least not that way. Surely such a person likes to externalize something that should come within

More
7 years 6 months ago #257869 by Carlos.Martinez3
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/mormon/underwear/

Sounds familiar...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 6 months ago #257875 by rugadd
I like sublimating my life with things that add fun...and that includes occasionally dressing up, wearing a piece of jewelry or a t-shirt a friend gave me. I was known for wearing my light saber belt clip(though I did that as a reminder of who I am ) If its fun and it isn't really harming anyone, go for it. Not a requirement, though. At least, not here.

As far as "blocking" anything, the material might muffle sound, temperature change, reduce vision, block rain...Emotions? Well, if its fun your kind of blocking bad ones? I dunno about that...frankly I'm going to leave it here!

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 6 months ago #257877 by Manu
Wearing a hood in rainy London does not seem like a bad idea. But if it was mandatory for me to wear one in the scortching hot Ecuadorian weather, I would have to find a new religion. :laugh:

I do think a TOTJO T-Shirt, or a hoodie (for cooler weathers) would be cool though. IF someone finds it necessary to advertize their faith, that is. Extravagant clothing, in my experience, attracts the wrong kind of people, and most people I know prefer to show their faith by their actions, not what they wear.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, rugadd, Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi