Book Club?

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255148 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Book Club?

Jamie Kay wrote:

Edan wrote: Whose 2pm we talking about here? ;)

Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out! 2pm EST --> 18:00 UTC.

That might be fine for me... it's quite difficult to say what I'll be doing any weekend, but I'd do my best to be there.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Edan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #255151 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Book Club?
I could make that work :)

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
7 years 8 months ago #255154 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Book Club?
Well that makes a difference thanks :)
Will be here

Everything is belief

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255157 by Rosalyn J
Event added to the calendar on a Repeat basis for the first Saturday of the month at 18:00 UTC. beginning in October. If any one event needs to be changed, please PM me

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255158 by
Replied by on topic Book Club?
Thank you so much!! :laugh:

Okay, now to pick a book. Kit, do you have any particular one to start off with? Or would everyone prefer the library?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255165 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Book Club?

Jamie Kay wrote: Thank you so much!! :laugh:

Okay, now to pick a book. Kit, do you have any particular one to start off with? Or would everyone prefer the library?

I don't like the ones in the library haha (they're not something I'd typically read for fun, but rather for learning.) But let me show you a few off of my list.

The book I really want to recommend is called the Outstretched Shadow. Wonderful fantasy story covering the Hero's Journey in a really good way as well as a Coming of Age story. It has a very thought-provoking magic system that has influenced the way I look at the world. A touch long to read in a month for some of the more casual readers though. If I remember right it has three 'books' within it, we can stretch it out across a few sessions maybe.

Warning: Spoiler!

The shortest book I have on my list is this one:

A Wizard of Earthsea
Another Hero's Journey/Coming of Age story written in an easy-reader style but beautifully written. Another interesting look at a magic system and I believe it was the start of the idea of True Names. This story is why names are so important to me, both the ones I name for my characters when I write, and the ones I wear. It's magic system also had an influence with the way I choose to act (or not).

I would recommend this one if we wanted to start out shorter. Usually readily available through public libraries.
Warning: Spoiler!

Edit: these are the first in a series but they both are wonderful stand-alone stories by themselves :)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #255166 by
I love both of those. For our first month, let's start with A Wizard of Earthsea if everyone else likes it. We can then do Outstretched Shadow for the next three sessions. I agree that it might be a bit much all at once for one month, so we can take one 'book' a month, spanning three sessions.

What does everyone else think?

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255167 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Book Club?

Jamie Kay wrote: I love both of those. For our first month, let's start with A Wizard of Earthsea if everyone else likes it. We can then do Outstretched Shadow for the next three sessions. I agree that it might be a bit much all at once for one month, so we can take one 'book' a month, spanning three sessions.

What does everyone else think?

It might be difficult to do one book in three sessions if some people can only join in inconsistently.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255168 by Rosalyn J
I'd like to bring our attention to the following thread:

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/110517-what-are-you-reading-right-now

It has many potential suggestions

I'd agree with Edan about a book in 3 sessions. I'd prefer a book each session :)

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #255171 by
Oh, that's certainly true. Thank you for pointing that out, Edan. We might just need to make it an optional read that can be done outside of regular sessions--maybe between two people or so.

And thank you, Rosalyn, for the link! We can certainly draw upon that thread for suggestions. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi