Weighing Up Charitable Causes

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254924 by Ben
So, this is something that I was thinking about whilst walking around Waitrose the other day (Waitrose being a supermarket chain in the UK). When you buy something at Waitrose, you get given a little green token, which you then put into one of three transparent boxes, each of which is allocated to a monthly local charity. At the end of the month, the store splits £1,000 across the three charities in accordance with the ratio of tokens each charity received. It looks like this, if you're wondering:

Attachment h7ebb8c7.jpg not found

I don't ever actually read the names or descriptions of the charities - I just put my token in the box with the least tokens. I'm not being lazy - it's a conscious choice that I made years ago because it feels to me that my token is much more valuable to a charity that is receiving less. I don't like to think that a charity that deserves money, regardless of whether or not it is a cause that happens to be close to my heart, is being overlooked. (Not that my choice, my one little token, has any real effect - especially considering that there's often a second collection box somewhere and the weightings could be totally different in that one! :pinch: )

But, uncomfortable as it may sometimes be to think about, it's natural that charities compete with each other - none of us have enough money to give to every charitable cause out there, so we have to prioritize in a way that our consciences can level with.

So, the question is - are some charitable causes inherently more deserving, or more important than others? What motivates you to choose one charity over another? Is it possible to be fair in the charity arena?

B.Div | OCP
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Loudzoo, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254928 by
Replied by on topic Weighing Up Charitable Causes
I am affraid there is no way to be fair , some causes get more attention than others , i used to give my money to a few big ones , now i donate to the cat shelter next door , the foodbank around the corner and the commitee that wants to safe the castle , thats all i have , i hope it matters and gets spend well B)

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254932 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Weighing Up Charitable Causes
Obviously, in an ideal world I'd give to everyone. But I clearly can't afford that. :(

I, like Marta, tend to support local charities more and charities that don't receive additional funding from the Government. This is because A: I can easily see how that money is being put to use, and B: the big multi-national charities already make a great deal without my contribution. I am a registered volunteer fundraiser for the Great North Air Ambulance Service for example (both local to me and gets sod all from the Government)

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 8 months ago #254934 by Rosalyn J
That's the problem with choice. Its a bit of a paradox and it shows in several ways, including this one. I wrote a bit about it in my journal recently, which you can read below

Warning: Spoiler!

We want to know which is the "right" choice or "more right", so we ask "is this fair?"

But so long as there is choice there will be no choice but to choose.

I rarely donate to long standing charities. I donate to individuals and I provide money during natural disasters. There is some hesitation as to whether the money will be spent correctly (read: As I like), but that hesitation must be abdicated along with the money.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254944 by

but that hesitation must be abdicated along with the money.

Yess i am with you on that , i was just thinking of that , next to the difficult choice of picking a good cause and then to have to check where the money is going can get a bit much , but i usually am not dissapointed with these little charities , as Brick said its local and easy to trace back . Not that i am overly attached to the idea that every penny has to be well spend , i know the cat charity took their volunteers for a nice dinner and there was an outrage , which then got another outrage of people saying the volunteers put in so many hours and resources why should not they have something , now we collect money for the meal once a year next to the normal contribution loll , what is left over goes back into the shelter fund

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254948 by
V, I always read the description cards at waitrose :D

For me choosing to give money, time or publicity to a charity is mostly about where my personal interests lie. I'm moved by homelessness, so volunteer at a shelter. I care about families being provided for, so donate to the food bank. I'm passionate about woodland, so donate to the Woodland Trust. And I am a parent and affected by the plight of children, so I donate to UNICEF. Realistically I could do more good for any one cause by focusing all my energies on it, but I feel trying to do a little good for those things we are most passionate about doesn't harm anything... who knows, my £5 a month might be all that's needed to complete an aid run, my bag of pasta might feed a family.

Like my approach to life as a Jedi I do not do any one thing with a single-minded focus, but instead try and cultivate a portfolio of "good things". I try and spread the love around, basically, because I feel that is likely to do the most good to the most people. Totally unscientific but it feels like the right thing to do, for me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254983 by
Like tzb I tend to go more towards charities that touch me more. I've lost several members of my family to cancer so I like cancer charities. I am particularly moved by children in bad situations so I donate to charities aimed at helping children more often than adults. Etc.

Then I try to find out what exactly the charity does with the money. How much do the people in charge of it make? What percentage goes to them for operating costs? Have they recently had a scandal regarding improperly allocated funds? I don't want my donations going in to a millionaire's pocket while his "charity" doesn't actually do any good. The sad truth is that there are those charities out there that rip people off.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago #254986 by steamboat28

V-Tog wrote: So, the question is - are some charitable causes inherently more deserving, or more important than others? What motivates you to choose one charity over another? Is it possible to be fair in the charity arena?

I think everyone should start by judging charities on their honesty and faithfulness to their cause. For example, here in the States, PeTA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) kills a ****-ton of animals in their shelters each year that nobody wants to talk about on top of their increasingly terroristic marketing campaigns. Additionally, one of the more popular hair-donation charities (to make wigs for cancer victims) has been scrutinized once it was discovered that many donations of hair were being sold to pay for organizational costs rather than being directly donated. While both of these organizations are doing what they feel is best in the circumstances, it may be that we (as individuals) see their actions as hurting their cause rather than helping it. Our first criteria should be to determine if we feel the charities are doing what they said they would do.

After that, it's all up to our own agendas. My personal pet causes are currently cancer research, literacy, alzheimer's and dementia research, medical marijuana legalization, aid to the homeless and hungry, and underprivileged children's medical care, in no particular order. And when I can, I support those charities with what little time, effort, or money I can donate. I feel these causes are important enough to me that I need to take a stand to help them in whatever ways I can. Everyone's choices are different, but these are where my heart is because these are the ones that have touched my life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben,

More
7 years 8 months ago #254989 by Alethea Thompson
If I have the money, I tend to just donate to the one that is available at the counter. Or when a huge disaster happens, I'll try to give to that (my degree is in Homeland Security and Emergency Management, so disasters are kind of close to my heart).

When I was in the military, I had a regular donation to a foundation that did research into Marfan Syndrome because it runs in my family (my sister has it). The reason isn't so much that she has it, as it is that because she has it I know how difficult it is to diagnose, and that sometimes families wouldn't find out until their kids were well into their teens. My father died from it at 32, my grandmother only survived to her 50s by virtue of being a Nurse, so any heart attacks she had, she had doctors readily available to assist her. Thing is, neither of these two (my father or grandmother) were diagnosed with Marfan, my sister was the first one. So I think families could benefit from knowing as early as possible. That's why I donated to that particular charity, and one day might be able to do so again.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #255113 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Weighing Up Charitable Causes

So, the question is - are some charitable causes inherently more deserving, or more important than others? What motivates you to choose one charity over another? Is it possible to be fair in the charity arena?

I give to the charities whose causes I feel most strongly about.

I give money to multiple animal charities because I have homed a lot of rescue animals, a cancer charity because my godmother died of breast cancer, and the local ambulance service because it gets no funding but it's important to my area. I have also raised money for the MS society, because my friend has MS and the only options he has is one treatment with horrible side effects after another.

I tend not to put money in donation boxes/buckets ever since I found out that some people collecting get some of the cash (husband knows someone first hand who did this), so I try to give direct to the charities.

I don't shop at Waitrose, but if I was faced with such an option I'd probably just do the same as you, put the token in the least full pot.

Truth is, I don't know what constitutes 'fair' in charity. Though I can't say which charities are most important, I can think of a few causes which are definitely deserve more than they currently get (I'm thinking along the lines of prostate cancer charities here).

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi