Are Hispanic People White? (MTV's Decoded)

More
7 years 7 months ago #254618 by Alethea Thompson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aosT6Kecj24

In light of Senan's point that he is closer to the Hispanic culture, I'm curious just how some people will end up identifying. Something that isn't quite well known is that the US census does happen to have a way of looking to see who is Asian Hispanic, Native American Hispanic, Black Hispanic, etc. But for the most part it does list the majority as white.

Kind of gives you something to think about when you take the next census.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #254622 by Carlos.Martinez3
I LOVE it when labels are placed or tried to be placed. I a glad I am not a part of all the "hype" Its funny , but when people see me I am usualy asked what ethnicity i am, I look very mixed. My reply is the same. I am from here I was born here and ill probly die here. so I am from here. People are so ready to fit things in their own boxes and labels, I don't bother. Race is about as important to me as the color of your socks. What color are they? Are they thin? thick? length? handmade store bought? I think these questions are ore relevant than most of the qerys out there.
Some questions in my mind, this is my own idea now Carlos ology! Some questions just keep some in loops. Im good. I m not the type to ask race questions but heart questions. Are you black are you white are you brown are you red...to me Carlos ology ...these types of questions make a bigger net and its not information or greatness most catch with it. Hope this hleps some Jedi wondering if they are alone, cuz your not! We as Jedi are never alone. Not in this Temple! May the Living Force be with you friend and thanks for the video. I didn't watch it but, as I said, I am about the build up not the tare down.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254641 by
In response to Carlos (because he was the one to voice an opinion I've heard from many), I think your views come down to the progression from "color-blind" to true "acceptance", to use cultural sensitivity terms. No one should be treated better, worse, or even (in some cases) differently just because of their race. However, sometimes when we start being colorblind, we accidentally white-wash everyone, as white is often seen as the default.

One has to keep in mind that there is a difference between black and Black (just using this one as an example, as this part applies to other races/ethnicities). Some people may have "black" skin but not identify with Black culture, so to treat them as if they identify as being part of Black culture just because they're black isn't really fair. However, there IS a high correlation between skin color and culture identification. And to disregard someone's culture because you "don't see skin color" is also denying a part of who someone is. Just because some black people don't identify as Black doesn't mean that's the same for all.

Interestingly, this also occurs in the Deaf community. Some deaf individuals don't really participate in or identify with the Deaf community. And there are many who are not hearing impaired in any way that identify and participate heavily in the Deaf community. However, most (and/or many) deaf individuals consider themselves Deaf and are proud to be so.

As to this particular thread, there IS a difference in definition between Hispanic, Mexican, Spanish, etc. Legally, there are "white Hispanics" and "non-Hispanic Mexicans". I'm not 100% sure how all that works myself, so I won't comment further about that. I'm interested in a good explanation if anyone else has one though!

More
7 years 7 months ago #254649 by Carlos.Martinez3
Some differences are ment not to mesh but to keep separate. Organizations and sects as well as govnmts can keep order when opposition is present, yet they have no idea what to do when we unite. What if we all figured it out? Big request, I know, but what if we just all stopped labeling things and treated every one like... individuals, beautiful and full of as much potential as myself.. ( bang!!) that would break something I wouldn't miss. I'm doing my part, are you? ( rhetorical, not directed at any one in particular) I'm erasing a lot of lines. It possible, every day. I have met individuals doing the same. Everyday. Most times the Chink in thas crazy silly armor is a yes sir or mam. You would be amazed at the individuals who have never been spoken to with no mam or are sir I can try. That's a great difference, who really cares what MTV says... I know I don't revolve around a screen and it's comments about things they have no idea about. That glow from a TV screen has dulled me far to long. Let's build and erase a few lines. I'm down

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254650 by Alethea Thompson
Although some see it as you do, Carlos, there are many who believe that even a colorblind view is in fact racist. The idea goes to taking away from their cultural identity when you sdontnrecognize them as (insert race/ethnicity here).

Thoughts?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Alethea Thompson.

More
7 years 7 months ago #254660 by Carlos.Martinez3
Those and them. These are it. Syncritism is allowing my potatoes AND cabbage And purslane and cucumbers to be all called GARDEN.ps purslane is a weed. What does it yeald? Some colorblind individuals still create lines and labels. The difference is in the actions. What are they doing? Acting the same and arguing? Most just like to sit and grumble. Those and them. All potentials waiting to be released or... just arguing? I understand about cultural differences...trust me I can spout off a list of check boxes as could we all. I always identify in the present. The now. So what some one s parents or family is from has nothing to do with in my book who they can be. When in this light, things look way different, not even argumentative any more.

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254667 by OB1Shinobi
sorry, ive seen enough of franchesca ramsey already and i dont want to risk brain infection by watching more of her videos

is the short version of this one that she hates hispanic people too?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254670 by Carlos.Martinez3
I didn't watch the video

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago #254680 by Alethea Thompson
lol, I've not been fond of much of her work. But this one is an exception. No, she is basically saying that the Census doesn't accurately reflect what the "white" population is. She goes on to say that it's not suppose to be an issue in the next census, that the US Census is moving away from "White/Black/etc- Hispanic" and instead just having listed "Hispanic".

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254687 by OB1Shinobi
ah ok, well thats good

we wouldnt want to confuse who we're supposed to hate because of their skin color with who we're not supposed to hate because of their skin color now do we?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi