Give this place some credit

More
7 years 8 months ago #254376 by Alethea Thompson
Hey! Don't doscount yourself, Comnor- you've come leaps and bounds since you came to the community. *hugs* ^^

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd, OB1Shinobi, MadHatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #254377 by Carlos.Martinez3

Manu wrote: I think in general we tend to build up an image of who Jedi are and how they should behave based on the movies, and thus when the behavior of a member here clashes with that stereotype, it can shock some.

But, the important thing to remember, and I'm sure it has been said before, is that more than Jedi, we are human. And humans make mistakes. If we were all the perfect Jedi we hoped we were, then we probably would have no use for this place.
Besides, what better way to practice our Jedi values than amidst conflict? :laugh:

I concur, my garden only yealds what I have planted. What is weeded is discarded. In my own personal view I saw let the weeds be weeds and the plants be watered. It makes my heart heavy to see many great individuals held by them selfs. Over time I hope I can influence, say, act or guide those who seek it. Some one did it for me, Some one lit the way for me. My hope is that I can assist some one like me searching, not complaining. You can tell. If you can read you can tell. My hope is not to run every one who isn't me off as well, but to be the the Difference. This place helps me to act what I learn. Even the hard parts of minimum attachment to things. ( one of my favorites, AND it yealds so much. There's a saying...
" as a man thinketh that shall he also do. " the ol Garbage in garbage out. Instill credit in this place by being the credit. By being the change. Tired of seeing things wonky... be the carpenter or creator and fix it, or complain. My Hope is that the Living Force that we seek lives in all of us where we are right now. RIGHT NOW, this present moment. That's a game changer, there are many in this place!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Jestor, MadHatter

More
7 years 8 months ago #254404 by Tellahane
Just for the sake of discussion, I've always said no jedi is fully infallible, even the ones who have been doing this since the get go. We all can be victim of heated passionate discussions from time to time, especially in chat.

That being said, at some point there probably still needs a line drawn. In my opinion(and for the rest of this post that being the case), If you get sucked into a heated discussion for a day, that's understandable, if you get stuck in a heated discussion over the course of a week with several posts in between of people asking you to take things private, to cool down, to check yourself, and you continue to ignore and continue to progress, at what point do you draw the line between oh they just got emotional and oh they are going over the line. That post started to derail on the 26th, and continue through the 29th.

Even using a different situation(this one being made up), at what point does an argument which transitions to yelling, which transitions to arm raising and throwing, which transitions to picking up a chair or stick or other object, which transitions to physical harm do we draw the line? Probably the question of the day for the knights and moderators I'm sure.

Heated discussions happen, emotions happen, passions happen, but I still don't think that should be an excuse to intentionally act/continue to act over the course of several days when we have trained and should know better to at least self check after the first post or two of someone telling you to take things private or to cool down.(and yes newer members as have been pointed out are still in that training so that should be understood as well).

If it was me, if I was blowing up on someone and I took it on for 4 days I would want someone to temporarily ban me(and thats an extreme), at the very least the last time I came close to doing that I had private messages from a knight I talked regularly with who was very politely guiding me and reminding me about training etc. Maybe that happened in that scenario, maybe it didn't, I don't know. However if it came down to it and the temp ban needed to get me to cool down before I continue to make a fool of myself, but that's my opinion, what does everyone else think?

As I said in chat later while we were having a discussion there about this very thing, the worst part about that was it was in open discussions forum, where any non-registered person can read it, where people who are considering joining the forums are reading it, and if they see that is how we act in here it's not saying hey give this place some credit its wow do I really want to be here? I really wish that we had a place where those discussions which are publicly available, when they do go off heated like that can be moved to where we can continue discussion as necessary without showing off the worst that we can be.(Of course you can start another thought process tangent of honesty in presenting ourselves but thats not a representation of the majority of us either).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254417 by
Replied by on topic Give this place some credit
I don't think anyone's suggesting that we don't try to keep ourselves in check. MadHatter's just saying that, much like in the "Are things getting worse" thread, things aren't always as bad as they seem. Plus, we need to remember that sometimes it is individuals causing problems rather than "the system" or "the man."

Personally, I don't spend a lot of time on other forums because I can't stand how they interact with each other. Having a Facebook account is bad enough most days. Also note, there's a difference between not being able to handle how other forums work and not liking it. Avoiding forums where bashing on each other is common practice is not a sign of weakness, it's just not wanting to be around that much negativity. The world is already pretty negative, why add to it?

I agree with MadHatter. I think that the Temple as a whole is a great place and I love being here.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254422 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Give this place some credit

Tellahane wrote: Just for the sake of discussion, I've always said no jedi is fully infallible, even the ones who have been doing this since the get go. We all can be victim of heated passionate discussions from time to time, especially in chat.

That being said, at some point there probably still needs a line drawn. In my opinion(and for the rest of this post that being the case), If you get sucked into a heated discussion for a day, that's understandable, if you get stuck in a heated discussion over the course of a week with several posts in between of people asking you to take things private, to cool down, to check yourself, and you continue to ignore and continue to progress, at what point do you draw the line between oh they just got emotional and oh they are going over the line. That post started to derail on the 26th, and continue through the 29th.

Heated discussions happen, emotions happen, passions happen, but I still don't think that should be an excuse to intentionally act/continue to act over the course of several days when we have trained and should know better to at least self check after the first post or two of someone telling you to take things private or to cool down.(and yes newer members as have been pointed out are still in that training so that should be understood as well).

I've stated it several times, and Carlos made a good point, you dont like what's being said in the forums, speak up please. Some would prefer we just sit back and wait for the moderators, and often times there out living their lives, patrolling other threads or don't personally feel its got to the point where moderation is needed, and let "the people's" sort things out on their own. I'm personally glad there are people here who speak up when they feel its needed, or shoot pms to whoever it is taking things a step too far. You have a voice, use it please...

As I said in chat later while we were having a discussion there about this very thing, the worst part about that was it was in open discussions forum, where any non-registered person can read it, where people who are considering joining the forums are reading it, and if they see that is how we act in here it's not saying hey give this place some credit its wow do I really want to be here? I really wish that we had a place where those discussions which are publicly available, when they do go off heated like that can be moved to where we can continue discussion as necessary without showing off the worst that we can be.(Of course you can start another thought process tangent of honesty in presenting ourselves but thats not a representation of the majority of us either).

Not sure if the rants thread is viewable to the public, think it might be. I've felt the same way for a very long time to the point it made me BITTER, lol. People should know we are human, and not at all like the characters in the movies. It's definitely something to think about when posting in these public threads, and if the reader's attitude doesnt care, what exactly are you doing here anyways? This recent behaviour is not a representation of who we are as a temple, the louder ones tend to get recognised faster. Again, perhaps more people should speak up and make their opinions heard when they spot instances such as this in THOSE threads. You want change, BE that change. Make it happen Jedi....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254427 by
Life might seem Serene when one stays away from the Forums and Discussions and Chat , but that is off course partly sticking your head in the sand , and that is something you cannot do in the outside world , here is a good place to learn when to speak up and when to shup up , learn from it. I know that some things are not considered "Jedi" and it gets a little rough sometimes , especially when people are new and think that all of us have to change to fit Their needs. What i really like here is the patience and guidance i get here , i have never , ever seen that anywhere else.

I come here for my rest , said no Jedi ever ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254450 by
I've actually experienced what most of you are talking about. Some of us don't even give credit to the other members or the founders of the Temple themselves. I've even seen some of the knights haven't accomplished this yet. If some of our members who are learning and training to be a knight here at Tojo, one of the things that will allow others to see you as a knight at the same time that you are being the example of a knight is to start acknowledging how much time, sweat and hard work some of our members have put into this community just so all of us can have a memorable, respectful and successful journey here. Throughout my apprenticeship, I have gave my gratitude here and there, but not as much as I should be, so here it goes:

Thank you knights for guiding all our members to understand new topics and themes that we all must understand, in addition to being the honest and honorable leaders you have become. Thank you to all the founders of this Temple for actually making such a site become reality. Finally, thank you to all our moderators who have dedicate their time and efforts to keep our community safe and protected. May the Force Be With you all.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 8 months ago #254467 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Give this place some credit
Thank you for starting this.

I would add, give it the credit that it is due.

Yes, it's a work in progress. Nothing is perfect. But there is an unsettling lack of respect for the incredible work and very long volunteer hours that goes into keeping the doors open and the lights on.

Even if you don't agree with the way things are done, you owe a level of respect for those that care enough to sacrifice their time to do it.

Something that each of us needs to remember. Even me...

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Manu, Ben, Zenchi, , MadHatter,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254488 by
I an new and I so far enjoy the temple, but what is annoying is when you have older members trying to police the temple and automatically assume new members are lairs and need to be watched and policed ... That will drive away a lot very fast.

More
7 years 8 months ago #254493 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Give this place some credit

Murasaki wrote: I an new and I so far enjoy the temple, but what is annoying is when you have older members trying to police the temple and automatically assume new members are lairs and need to be watched and policed ... That will drive away a lot very fast.

Murasaki, though I am not justifying the way in which the previous thread discussion went, I would like to clarify what Setanaoko was talking about... Jedi forums have been around for a while (at least 15 years), and during that time people have been cheated out of their money and their emotional health. There is a precedent for this sort of policing, though I completely agree that the manner in which this was communicated to you was mishandled. In any case, I hope you stay around to see us give you a better second impresion :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi