Are You A Patriot?

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #253667 by Br. John
Are You A Patriot? was created by Br. John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Edan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #254044 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Are You A Patriot?
Clever I suppose.

To answer the question? (Was there a question, or was this clickbait?)

Yes and no (I would zealously support, serve and defend my country. The people on it? Not necessarily - I have the benefit that the borders of my country are well defined - which is to say "if you cross the border, you get wet" - It's not as nebulous as European, American or other regions that have the definition of their country more or less arbitrarily defined.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254045 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Are You A Patriot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

Yes.

And this is the patriotism I ascribe to.

Link if I'm linkfully challenged:

Patriotism

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Reacher. Reason: Thanks Adder! My personal Additor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254051 by
Replied by on topic Are You A Patriot?
I love this country and the people who make it up. I used to be one of those people mentioned in the video, but all of that has changed over the years. It has not even been that many years since my way of thought on the matter has changed. I was not a fan of President Obama when he first took office. Now I respect the man, I have come to the knowledge that I can disagree with his decisions in office, and his views, with out degrading the person, or his office. I think he is doing the best he knows how to do. It is a hard job, one that I would not wish to take.

I love the message in the video Reacher shared. That is the person I want to be, and I work at it everyday.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254054 by
Replied by on topic Are You A Patriot?
I deeply and utterly love the Netherlands , should we however become a state of selfish little bastards that have no time or money for other people and we become unwelcoming and bias , i will leave in a heartbeat , what i am saying is , the people make your country :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #254062 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Are You A Patriot?

Reacher wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

Yes.

Patriotism

Here here!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reacher

More
7 years 7 months ago #254100 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Are You A Patriot?

Reacher wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

Yes.

Patriotism

I would appreciate it if John Cena stopped trying to make me cry.

More
7 years 7 months ago #254122 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Are You A Patriot?
A patriot is someone who "vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors." If my country is defined as the people within the borders of the US (though I don't necessarily support a bordered system of government), then I'm a patriot. If my country is defined as the government, laws, and culture of my country, then no, I don't particularly care for those things. The most ideal system, in my opinion, would be one without countries (and as a result, without patriotism). A global community of human beings under one (just) set of laws (which also defend personal freedom and liberty) would be wonderful. I think John Lennon was pretty spot on when he said:

"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one."

More
7 years 7 months ago #254126 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Are You A Patriot?
Coming from the UK, I find the word 'patriot' odd.. because we just don't use it here. The British do love their country (for the most part), but we don't really wave it around. People get their flags out for sports, but then at the end of the season they go back away. The word patriot for me conjures up an image of a person being overly loud and overbearing about their country, and it reminds me a lot of 'jingoism'.
So... no I'm not a patriot.. I love my country, I love being here, but I'm not in the image that I have of a patriot.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 7 months ago #254135 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Are You A Patriot?
What Edan said above is something I realized over time, especially since visiting the UK. For most of my life (like a lot of Americans), being "patriotic" seemed like something almost inherent to being anybody, and had no awareness that it was just a thing Americans developed due to its national culture. Because of that, the word "patriot" sounded only positive and virtuous. After my awareness of the world expanded beyond the borders of the country (which began happening even years before I visited the UK), I began getting a more accurate picture of the general attitude of the "American way" when realizing that much of that "way" was driven by patriotism, and is present in most of the nation's foreign affairs and its flaws, not to mention its attitude against its own citizens on many levels. Once I realized how there are other countries that are perfectly happy without having things such as patriotism and rigorous striving for "freedom", "liberty", and "jesus to save our soul", my view of the country began to change. Not exactly to a negative one, but just in a sense that I have a better grasp of what's really going on. And I think that is something very important for a person to encounter, but just as important is for them to know how to interpret it, so that they don't get too overwhelmed by the discovery of flaws that they didn't realize were there, and end up turning radical and against their own people.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi