[Split off] Jedi for political office?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251682 by
This Maxim is the one that I always think talks about Jedi in politics:

Discretion: To become invisible.

A Jedi knows there is a time and place for all things. They do not actively interfere in worldly affairs and refrain from overtly supporting or opposing other individuals or organizations.

That said, my interpretation of it limits Jedi as a group from becoming a political party or backing a candidate. It doesn't say that individuals can't. It also says to me that when we do these things it is not with the intent to be in the spotlight. It's more about the method of support than the actual supporting to me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251728 by

Goken wrote: It also says to me that when we do these things it is not with the intent to be in the spotlight. It's more about the method of support than the actual supporting to me.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've run for political office without mentioning that I was a Jedi. I've also outed myself as a Jedi while making a political statement -- although, to be fair, it was Halloween and I was going to wear my robes to pass out treats on Sixth Street anyway. :D So I guess I've been on both the right and the wrong side of that Maxim.

All that said, though, I do also believe that as Jedi, we have a responsibility to stand and speak out in the face of injustice. But as you said, I don't expect the Temple (or any other Jedi group) to take a political stance behind me when I do it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251729 by
If anything we need MORE Jedi running for office. Have you seen the latest US election contenders?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251735 by
Thanks a lot for your answers everyone! I'm happy that I had so much help from you my friends. I will join the temple as a member soon then, see you later! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251815 by

Jestor wrote:

Br. John wrote: I believe Jestor holds an elected office.

Yes, Im up for reelection in the spring... :)

There is at least one other I know of here...

Marta wrote: Ow i have never made a secret of being into politics , its a village party but still

Marta, et tu?

You on a village board?

Im on a small board for a village of 1700 people...

Silas" wrote: Defy the Stupid White Men who rule over us

For years, the 'old white men' have run the governments (in my country obviously, and yes, I am becoming an old white man, but I hope Im more like Sanders than any other, lol)...

And, thats how I refer to them... 'old white men'...

I voted for Obama, simply because it was a change from 'the old white guy regime'...

It is the pattern we refer to, not the actual people...

I considered Hillary, but now, I think she is 'an old white guy' in a skirt... :pinch:

Hehehehe. Shame that Sanders pulled out. And Jestor - your, what 46 ? That is not old. :cheer:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #251821 by Jestor

Silas Mercury wrote: And Jestor - your, what 46 ? That is not old. :cheer:

Flatter-er.. ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251823 by Alexandre Orion

Jestor wrote:

Flatter-er.. ;)

I certainly hope that 46/49 isn't old. As it were, under current circumstances we probably have four more decades of life left to us ... being condemned to "old-age" for half of one's life-span is a little cruel, wouldn't you think ?

On the topic however, I know a few people who are in elected office. We get together from time to time ; we talk ... I've never made any pretence as to just how content I am to stay well out on the periphery of political function. My position is only that of a philosopher -- not an activist and certainly not a militant. Plato's notion of the philosopher-king has never been realised insomuch as having political power tends to corrupt free judgement. The "smart" thing to do and the "right" thing to do are, from time to time, quite different things. People are not as rational and reasonable as we like to think, certainly in republics that are supposed to be democratic ; we give reason to how we feel about things and this socio-political viscéralgie aggravates political position-taking.

I just like to watch. Of course, I then talk about what I think I'm seeing (and what I think that no one is seeing), but that is what my rôle is. The principles of equality never let us go completely silent, but take on a solitary character. Ever since the Athenians killed off Socrates the first time, every generation has kept killing him. We avoid the press (both contributing to it and ingesting it) and just about the best we can hope for is to share something with the leadership of any given time or political situation that may provide some clarity. And we certainly cannot let ourselves get mixed up in public out-rage.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 8 months ago #251848 by Alethea Thompson
Politics could benefit from having more Jedi inside of them.

Local politics are a lot easier than larger arenas.

Go for it, you actually would not be the first- we have two Jedi that have done it. One succeeded in getting there, the other ran for a senate position, but I've not checked to see if he actually got it.

:)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251864 by

Jestor wrote:

Flatter-er.. ;)

Wait, your actually 46 ?? What a guess !! :laugh:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #251870 by Jestor

Silas Mercury wrote:

Jestor wrote:

Flatter-er.. ;)

Wait, your actually 46 ?? What a guess !! :laugh:

Yep.. ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi