[Split off] Jedi for political office?

More
7 years 7 months ago #251595 by MadHatter

Silas Mercury wrote: AAAAAAAAHHHH !!!!!

This is exactly what I have been ranting about !! All of you !! PLEASE !! RUN FOR OFFICE !! To make the world a better place, for the Jedi to have a physical effect, we have to immerse in politics. We sit here on our computers talking of how we wish for world peace, how we can achieve it, but we don't actually do anything !! SO YES !! Take up arms and fight against Trump and the Capitalist machine !! Defy the Stupid White Men who rule over us !!

Ok first of all how do you know we do not do anything? I personally have worked as a volunteer for a few charity groups and a womens center, I have donated money/supplies to charities and directly to people in need, I keep a bag of supplies in my car to give to homeless people if I see someone in need. I guarantee there are people on here that do MUCH more then me. So tell me again how we do not do anything and you know that to be fact?

The rest of your response is bigoted and border line racist. Frankly I do not know how this sort of talk continues to go without being called out.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #251596 by Br. John
This is federal law and The Order follows it. The Order does not endorse or condemn or advocate any position concerning candidates for public office. Keep in mind that TOTJO is a legal person. A sermon praising or disparaging any candidate would subject us to loss of our tax exempt charitable status.

The Order certainly spends no money influencing any election.

We are discussing the current election in the forum and people are expressing personal opinions about candidates. This is not part of our teachings or training or services. I consider it that same as informal conversations people have when they bump into each other after church in the parking lot.

So Temple Of The Jedi Order is not political and it's illegal for it to attempt to be political. It's guests and Members certainly have their own opinions as individuals.

Complicated? Hell yeah! We follow this: http://bolderadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Rules-of-the-Game.pdf

Enjoy the read. And if anyone feels we are violating this in any way please speak up.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brick

More
7 years 7 months ago #251597 by Brick

This is exactly what I have been ranting about !! All of you !! PLEASE !! RUN FOR OFFICE !! To make the world a better place, for the Jedi to have a physical effect, we have to immerse in politics. We sit here on our computers talking of how we wish for world peace, how we can achieve it, but we don't actually do anything !! SO YES !! Take up arms and fight against Trump and the Capitalist machine !! Defy the Stupid White Men who rule over us !!

Silas, you do realise that if I ran for office and got elected, I would be just another 'Stupid White Man' ruling over people? :laugh:

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #251598 by

Brick wrote:

Silas, you do realise that if I ran for office and got elected, I would be just another 'Stupid White Man' ruling over people? :laugh:

I would so vote for you !!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #251601 by
By 'Stupid White Men' I mean people like Bush. Brick, you are a very intelligent white man. :laugh:

More
7 years 7 months ago #251603 by Yugen

Who says that Jedi "Don't actually do anything"?

And for "taking up arms" and "immersing in politics", i personally follow this maxim:

Discretion: To become invisible.

A Jedi knows there is a time and place for all things. They do not actively interfere in worldly affairs and refrain from overtly supporting or opposing other individuals or organizations.

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, MadHatter, , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #251604 by

MadHatter wrote:

Ok first of all how do you know we do not do anything? I personally have worked as a volunteer for a few charity groups and a womens center, I have donated money/supplies to charities and directly to people in need, I keep a bag of supplies in my car to give to homeless people if I see someone in need. I guarantee there are people on here that do MUCH more then me. So tell me again how we do not do anything and you know that to be fact?

The rest of your response is bigoted and border line racist. Frankly I do not know how this sort of talk continues to go without being called out.

Sorry if I offended. I am white, I didn't say all white men were stupid, it was a Michael Moore reference. I meant we do not do anything officially under the name and banner ;TotJO

More
7 years 7 months ago #251607 by MadHatter

Bareus wrote:

Who says that Jedi "Don't actually do anything"?

And for "taking up arms" and "immersing in politics", i personally follow this maxim:

Discretion: To become invisible.

A Jedi knows there is a time and place for all things. They do not actively interfere in worldly affairs and refrain from overtly supporting or opposing other individuals or organizations.

THANK YOU! That is the quote that made me think there was something in the Doctrine against politics. It was how I personally view that section. Oh man I thought I was going nuts.

Silas as I do not wish to derail this thread any more then it has been I will address this via PM.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Yugen, , Brick

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 7 months ago #251645 by Jestor

Br. John wrote: I believe Jestor holds an elected office.

Yes, Im up for reelection in the spring... :)

There is at least one other I know of here...

Marta wrote: Ow i have never made a secret of being into politics , its a village party but still

Marta, et tu?

You on a village board?

Im on a small board for a village of 1700 people...

Silas" wrote: Defy the Stupid White Men who rule over us

For years, the 'old white men' have run the governments (in my country obviously, and yes, I am becoming an old white man, but I hope Im more like Sanders than any other, lol)...

And, thats how I refer to them... 'old white men'...

I voted for Obama, simply because it was a change from 'the old white guy regime'...

It is the pattern we refer to, not the actual people...

I considered Hillary, but now, I think she is 'an old white guy' in a skirt... :pinch:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #251650 by
My village has 34.000 inhabitants , compared to other villages we are big and are considered a little town , but we refuse to pay the township rights because they are to high and we want to spend that money otherwise , we are a big pain in the butt to the government who is trying to interfere with our bussiness as we speak , we also set an example for other big villages , we will probably be bombed one day hehe , i am not only politicaly active but am going to join a commision aswell to keep ourselfves to ourselfes as we are greatly selfsufficient , we want to grow food and not food for the pigs , we have all our own food if we want but risk being sued by compagnies who say they are missing out because of this , our Albert Hein sells local and biological products which caused trouble with big Albert in Holland at first but now they are using our formula in the whole country , HAH dont nobody be saying you are to smalll to matter

Your voice matters , you matter !

Love Marta ( rebel in heart and kidneys , yep weird dutch saying ik know )

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi