If you had one week left to live...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249593 by
If I would realize that I would have one week left.. :ohmy: As soon as I would calm down, I would isolate myself and write a death poem. I would allow people to be with me for a wile, till it is time. Followed up with the small wish to die in my sleep, and to just for them to carry on with their own lives.

Certainly I would not like to spend my last 168 hours doing weird 'always-wanted-to-do-that' things. Some people may like it though.. but it would only distract me from the fact that I will be gone, that would just push it in front of me.. and it would not allow people to process it as good I guess. :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249594 by Zenchi
I'm what is technically known as a "starving artist," so I'm not entirely sure I would or could do anything different as far as the spending of money is concerned. Work on one last piece and finally getting around to doing that vlog I suppose. I caught this last night and fell asleep before posting it on the wall, pretty good stuff. In it Kevin Smith talks about how his dad died, a good reminder to approach every day like it's your last...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1Rn1X2oSI

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

More
7 years 8 months ago #249596 by Rosalyn J

Alexandre Orion wrote: This was quite a topic of conversation at breakfast this morning ... My first thought about this was "I would panic and then lapse into an eerily despondent existential crisis" (like I really feel that just about all of us would really do).

Then again, although we don't think much about anything leading up to the moment of our demise generally - only harbouring some gruesomely imaginary moments of the 'demise' itself -, we tend to forget that at some unbeknownst time (perhaps already having begun), we enter that one-week countdown period. If one has things that we should like to do, behaviours that one feels one ought to cultivate, 'tis wise to do it now, rather than under the menace of imminent death ...

... for "imminent death" is our human condition anyway. 'Tis better to be living accordingly in every moment no matter how long - or not long - one thinks - or doesn't think - that time is going to be. For all I know, I could drop dead this afternoon : does what I have done this week correspond to the way I might dreamily answer the question posed ?

B)

THAT is what I was getting at.

Pondering this question unlocks how one really wants to spend their time, it unlocks (in my case) one of the deepest regrets I would have as a human passing on if it were to remain hidden or incomplete. A lot of what we allow ourselves to get caught up in is distraction and we confront those things in the eminence of death. Its a wonder how we could let so much go starring at the grim reaper, especially fear.

I've been thinking about this question, but not living like it was true. It may take a while.

But
BUT!

I started writing my autobiography again :D

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3, Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249616 by
I'd provide for the financial security for my loved ones the best I could.

I'd have a big party!

I'd meditate and attempt to strengthen (hold together) my spirit in the hopes my spirit (my energy being) will go on in some capacity and not disperse when my physical shell stops working.

I think/believe some part of me will live on if I have the resolve to hold my unique spirit together rather than let it go willingly, or unwillingly, and dissolve/evaporate.

It's tough putting something mystical an totally internalized into words.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago #249618 by Amaya
I already prepared as much as possible for death, have funeral plan, will.
So I would live as I am doing anyway, making each moment count.
After all, could drop dead tomorrow, or tonight nothing is guaranteed so, do what you desire now, you may not got another chance.
Why wait? Really why wait, countdown has already begun

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249626 by
When I was 21 (maybe 20...I don't quite remember) I took spring break off for the first time in my life (tells you how much of a party-er I am lol). I figured that I hadn't before and I was going to graduate soon and as such spring break would be no different to me than the weeks before or after so that was the time to do it.

I dedicated each day that I would've been at work to one other specific thing that I loved. I spent one day with my fiance (then girlfriend), one day on my motorcycle, just hopped on and rode until I couldn't ride any more, one day training/working out, one day just playing video games, and one day marathoning the extended edition Lord of the Rings on Bluray. That was a pretty great week, and not all that expensive.

If I knew I was dying in a week I'd probably relive that week with some minor upgrades. Plus I'd eat pizza, tacos, chinese buffet, steak, and Red Lobster as much as my already limited bank account would let me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249637 by
If I were enlightened, I'd probably do nothing and keep going on as usual.

Too bad... lol. Realistically, I'd freak the #### out! And, I'd probably do all sorts of rationalizing. Eventually, after maybe a day of doing this, I'd be so tired of worrying that I'd just try and enjoy myself. Surround myself with people I love. Family. See great art. I mean, there's free and cheap stuff to do, always. One thing I think is interesting... In contemplating this, I find that I will share this news with everybody. I think I will tell my family and friends that I am dying. I wouldn't keep it to myself only to be a surprise for my loved ones a week later.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249649 by
Given my medical experience, people with a week to live, or even longer, spend so in bed.

Usually losing independence in stages, first mobility, then little things you take for granted, like bowel, and bladder continence.

Probably wont be going anywhere, or doing a whole lot. T.V. will be on, but you wont be interested. Food and drink will be offered, and you may wet your mouth, but food will not be of any interest. If there is pain, you will want meds, despite what you may, or may not think about opiates now, they are a comfort in regards to the pain of say cancer, or such.

Friends and family will visit, and will comfort where, and if they can. If you have any, anyway.

The most you can hope for is going in your sleep.

I saw a man once take about a week( It was a little longer than five days) to die of "natural causes".

Writing,no, seeing great works of art, no, what he did was lay in bed, and breathe. Eventually his breathing slowed, his skin began to mottle, and his eyes glazed over. Toward the end, he was gasping for each breath. I held his hand at the end, because his family wasnt going to be there in time and I am of the mind that no one should die alone.

Dont wait for a week left to do the stuff you think is important.

Do it now.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago #249651 by Lykeios Little Raven
If I found out I had one week to live...well, first I'd panic like Alexandre suggested. Then I'd probably say goodbye to all my friends and family. After that I'd book the first flight to Pennsylvania to be with the woman I love until the end. I'd like to think I'd eventually get over my panic and face the end with a sense of peace and tranquility, but that doesn't seem very likely.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
7 years 8 months ago #249654 by Carlos.Martinez3
I think every one has a list of things mentally they would like to do before we pass, mine is no different. A lot of them are accomplishments more so I wouldn't have time for feeding on whole country for a year or rid a city of the current power grid... but if I were given a week ...
That's Easy, I wouldn't tell any one and I would...do what...im ... doing now. I wouldn't change a thing, for me its the come home late and im tired so....foot rub heaven or shoulders sore touch of love or that days' wake up and its 6 30...and im tired... my focus is way different but those are my heavens, my daily heavens, the time when I get to release and connect. If I had a week to live I wouldn't waist it, ide continue to make more time...with my choice of people, the ones currently here! I would live in what I have built. Its a hard thing to pen and an even bolder statement but it is totally possible. if I had a week I would turn to those present and ...be with them . Thanks for the idea Rosalyn J!

ps. I have been ready for death for quite a many years now. This idea rarely frightens me and only the Terms are in question and, if I do it right I won't have to worry about that part its pretty much a 50 50 shot I can or wont be in control of it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi