Should driverless cars be programmed to kill you?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #246383 by

Adi wrote: This clickbait-headline-as-thread-title makes it sound more like the question is about whether driverless cars will be programmed to immediately kill their inhabitant, as if we live in some bizarre dystopia where that is the sensible solution for population control. I realize it's taken from the linked clickbait article, but c'mon, surely you could have done better than that, given the question is really far more nuanced than that.

Sorry you jumped to this conclusion. Patience is something to strive for as well as not judging a book by its color.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #246386 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Sorry you jumped to this conclusion. Patience is something to strive for as well as not judging a book by its color.

I agree. But I will never have patience for sensationalism or fear-mongering.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #246389 by OB1Shinobi
i agree (at least in principle) with not promoting sensationalism
but, when opening a new thread based on an article, its pretty common to use the title of the article as the title of the thread

i do it, and i learned it from watching other members

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #246395 by

Adi wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Sorry you jumped to this conclusion. Patience is something to strive for as well as not judging a book by its color.

I agree. But I will never have patience for sensationalism or fear-mongering.

Im not sure what you are trying to say. Are you accusing me of something? Why have you taken such great exception to this simple thread and its opening title?
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #246461 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: In a few very rare scenarios, a driverless car may have to make a choice between protecting its occupants and protecting pedestrians. For example, if it's driving down a road at speed and someone runs out into the road, should it swerve into other traffic to avoid them, potentially injuring or killing the driver and passengers? Or should it make every attempt to stop, even though it knows it won’t be able to, killing the pedestrian?

We are taught the emergency stop when learning to drive a car, not the emergency swerve out the way. Why exacerbate the risk by endangering other lives?

I would trust the operating of a car to a machine over a human any day. Don't judge a machine by perfection, judge it by how it compares to human imperfection.

There is a case for driverless cars still allowing a human to take over manual control. You never know when you might get attacked by robots afterall...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UTaSMYK4gs

RyuJin wrote: i didn't read all the posts...but driverless cars come with a major risk...hackers can access them....it was already proven with a new jeep grand cherokee, a hacker accessed the jeep's computer through it's onstar thingy or whatever chrysler uses, and the hacker was able to control the radio/ac/electronics and was even able to shut the vehicle down while it was being driven...the driver had no control over the vehicle once it was shut down...

If hacking is already a problem for normal cars, does a driverless car mean all that much difference?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi