Additional holiday

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241798 by
Additional holiday was created by
I would like to recommend an additional holidsy for consideration: Master's Day, to coincide with Thanksgiving on the last Thursday in November. We should show our appreciation for our mentores and all they've done for us.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241799 by
Replied by on topic Additional holiday

Joda Sett wrote: I would like to recommend an additional holidsy for consideration: Master's Day, to coincide with Thanksgiving on the last Thursday in November. We should show our appreciation for our mentores and all they've done for us.

I agree with some sort of Teacher's Day. They do a lot more for us than most realize.

More
7 years 11 months ago #241804 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Additional holiday

Joda Sett wrote: I would like to recommend an additional holidsy for consideration: Master's Day, to coincide with Thanksgiving on the last Thursday in November. We should show our appreciation for our mentores and all they've done for us.

You mean "American Thanksgiving"? Ours is in October... ;)

I think it's a great idea though, whatever day it's on!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241806 by
Yes, American. We already have an October holiday, or that would another to consider.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241811 by
I also like this idea of Jedi holidays. There are four times of the year that I find to be spiritually significant, possibly because of the effect these times of year have on cultures and rituals such as planting or reaping. These appointed times are the equinoxes and solstices that were celebrated by pagan rituals and subsequently adopted by Christianity and altered slightly.

I would love to see this happen with Jediism. Each significant holiday season has aspects that align with the Jedi Way. This is already taking place in this thread , but I think there is always room for expansion.

The only one I do not see represented is the Summer solstice in late June.
Guru Purnima is celebrated on the full moon of the summer solstice. That would be my vote for a time to honor our teachers and give thanks. If we must have a Gregorian date, then let it be June 20 (international surfing day).

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #241814 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Additional holiday
I'm not saying that it isn't necessarily a good idea, but, to provide a bit of historical context, newer members may not be aware - a few years back TOTJO used to have quite a few more Holidays/Feast Days (or whatever you want to call them) celebrating all sorts of different things but it was decided to reduce them to the six at the link that CableSteele mentioned.

The original calendar was as follows, with some really old descriptions found here (I believe that we updated the descriptions to something a bit more concise, but I think the updated versions have been archived...)

3rd Sunday of January – WORLD RELIGION DAY/JEDI RITE DAY
January 6th – JEDI KNIGHT MASTER’S DAY
March 21st – INTERNATIONAL EARTH DAY/JEDI CREED DAY
April 13th – JEDIISM RITE RECOLLECTION DAY
May 25th – INTERNATIONAL JEDI DAY
June 4th - FOUNDER'S DAY
September 11th – JEDI REMEMBRANCE DAY
October 25th – JEDI MEMORIAL DAY
October 31st – JEDI YOUNGLING DAY/VOCATIONS DAY
December 25th – TOTJO ANNIVERSARY DAY
December 31st – JEDI DAY OF REFLECTION

One of the primary reasons why we decided to slim down the calendar was because many of the Days went by unremembered and unobserved - however, we seem to be even worse at observing them now despite there being fewer to remember!

As you can see from the list, we actually had a 'Jedi Knight Master's Day' which was sort of a celebration of teaching - the date being Alan Watts birthday as, via the material of his that we study here in the IP or elsewhere, he is a pretty awesome teacher (well, if you like him I guess... :laugh: )

But, we did deliberately do away with that one, along with most of the others.

That's not to say that we couldn't expand the calendar again if people want to (after all, times change... :) ), but our track record of actually, well...bothering with the Days is, um...not great :laugh:

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #241817 by
V-Tog said:

One of the primary reasons why we decided to slim down the calendar was because many of the Days went by unremembered and unobserved - however, we seem to be even worse at observing them now despite there being fewer to remember!

Weeeeeeeeeell...

if what you're looking for is an official Party Pony to remind people of our holidays... I nominate me (or yunno, if someone with some kind of longstanding membership or rank or something wants to do it, I'll still show up with dip).

I will totally be the one to start reminding everyone of upcoming holidays/fun in the forum if that's the main issue.

Attachment h2eb35ed.png not found

All I need is the go ahead :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241818 by

V-Tog wrote: One of the primary reasons why we decided to slim down the calendar was because many of the Days went by unremembered and unobserved - however, we seem to be even worse at observing them now despite there being fewer to remember!

It seems to me that it would take no more than one or two people with a particular affinity for one of the dates on the calendar to make something really wonderful happen. I was inspired by the Day of Recognition to write a "practice" sermon for my seminary journal (though it wound up being a month late, because there's nothing worse than a perfectionist procrastinator :D Still, there's always next year). I'm certain with enough lead time Ros could put the appropriate days on the sermon / live service schedule.

Also, Snowy for party pony? I'm starting the superPAC now. :laugh:

More
7 years 11 months ago #241828 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Additional holiday

Snowy Aftermath wrote: V-Tog said:

Weeeeeeeeeell...

if what you're looking for is an official Party Pony to remind people of our holidays... I nominate me (or yunno, if someone with some kind of longstanding membership or rank or something wants to do it, I'll still show up with dip).

I will totally be the one to start reminding everyone of upcoming holidays/fun in the forum if that's the main issue.

Attachment h2eb35ed.png not found

All I need is the go ahead :)

I am willing to work with you on this one. I think it would be a good thing for some of the newer people here to start up to help bring some esprit de corps here.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben,

More
7 years 11 months ago #241829 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Additional holiday

Snowy Aftermath wrote: if what you're looking for is an official Party Pony to remind people of our holidays... I nominate me...

You gotta bring the cannon, too.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi