Any pipe smokers here?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233318 by
Any pipe smokers here? was created by
Somehow I suspect I'll get flack about the health concerns of pipe smoking or smoking in general, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Have we got any pipe smokers? If so, pictures of your pipes appreciated! What was your last bowl?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #233319 by Lykeios Little Raven
I used to smoke pipe. It's been a while though. Don't remember what kind of tobacco I last smoked. It was tasty though, I remember that.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
8 years 1 month ago #233351 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Any pipe smokers here?
I have a few, but I haven't had a decent smoke in a while, because I'm normally confined to the indoors.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233360 by
Replied by on topic Any pipe smokers here?
I have a functional replica of Gandalf's, from Noble Collection, but "functional" is a loose term, I've found. I don't use it often, but it can be used, but it's pretty small, and it's prone to clogging; the stem doesn't detach from the bowl, so unclogging can be a nightmare (it had a clog for months that kept me from using it, and I only just recently got it going again). As a life-long Tolkien fan, it's very much the look I was wanting, and I feel wizardly when I use it, but in hindsight, I would have been better-off getting a look-alike from a real pipe maker rather than an official replica.

The only thing I've had in it so far is vanilla cavendish (Admiral's Choice is the brand), which tastes really good. I will most likely get a new, more functional pipe at some point, and when I do I'll get a sampler of other tobaccos, to see what else is good. Possibly the best thing about having flavored tobacco (at least, with this vanilla stuff) is that the smoke doesn't smell bad. I grew up in a house where there were always cigarettes, and I hated it; but my pipe smoke so far has smelled like vanilla, and a little bit of bonfire.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233363 by
Yeah, apparently the Lord of the Rings films really boosted an interest in pipe smoking, particularly in churchwardens. If you're not too particular about how screen accurate it is, you could take a look at some clay churchwardens (don't believe any of the rubbish they write about breaking off the tip).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233364 by
I no longer smoke. I do however use a vaporizer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233366 by

Jamie Stick wrote: Yeah, apparently the Lord of the Rings films really boosted an interest in pipe smoking, particularly in churchwardens. If you're not too particular about how screen accurate it is, you could take a look at some clay churchwardens (don't believe any of the rubbish they write about breaking off the tip).

How could it not? :laugh: I've been watching those for 15 years... It's just imprinted on my brain now, it's not going anywhere. :P Those clay ones do look really good!
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #233369 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Any pipe smokers here?

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, TheDude

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233384 by
My pipe smoking began when I went away to college at seventeen and continued for twenty years or more. Now, I smoke only while on vacation.

Preferred mix: Burley/Virginia.

While I have a couple of dozen pipes of a variety of shapes and sizes my favorite is a half bend: technically called the Bent Billiard and Brandy.

The best pipe shop in Chicago is Iwan Ries (iwanries.com).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233386 by
I smoked one for a while in the past but never really got into it. I never figured out how to keep the damn thing lit...

I had a nice Algerian estate pipe... in fact I still must have it, somewhere. Beautiful to look at and hold, and I'm sure a good smoke when you manage to work the damn thing. But these days I stick to vaping... and, for my sins, cigarettes... and the occasional shisha :D

Oh... and I have a vape pipe, like a pipe-looking thing for vaping. I never really use it but I liked the idea :)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi