A Restructure of the FAQ's

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #230570 by Rosalyn J
Good Morning,

The Knights of the Temple are discussing a potential restructure of the FAQs located here: https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq , to make it easier for new members to navigate. In order to do this well, we need your assistance.

Please recall what it was like being a new member here. What were some of the questions you needed/wanted answered as a new member? Is there anything that we can do to improve how those questions are answered? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Ros

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230587 by
Replied by on topic A Restructure of the FAQ's
I think the biggest thing for me was that I was kind of confused which to read first. Also, I don't know if this is true of the FAQ anymore, but a lot of the links for answers led to forum posts and that was always a little weird. It took me a while to figure out what needed to happen first and what to do next.

But I may be a bad person to reference since I tried to read every little thing and practically memorize it before I joined. I'm the kind of person who reads the Terms of Service agreements and doesn't like signing up for stuff unless I know what I'm consenting to.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago #230596 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic A Restructure of the FAQ's
I've gone to council with ideas of my own, it is tough to discuss this in a multi-person co versation...

Recommendations are always welcome, and my proposal does remove a few items from the FAQ...

I (Council) am interested in what others think (there is also s thread in the knight forum I think?, which means there are two locations to follow, :huh:)

so, please keep ideas coming, but realize not all will be used...

But, thank you all for your ideas, and desire to make TOTJO better...

:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230646 by
The FAQ itself is okay for me, but maybe put a link to it on the homepage? It seemed we spend time directing people to it a lot even though it is in the Nav Bar.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #230647 by steamboat28
The order of answers in the FAQ is still weird to me. I think it should probably be structured in order a new person would need them answered. Life the "Under 18?" section seems to get completely overlooked by some of the folks that need it, and should probably go higher on the list. Things like that.

Also, anything that will get people to read it. To paraphrase a recent newbie: "oh. I don't ever expect FAQs to every have actual information; I didn't know it was important."
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley,

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #230710 by Rosalyn J
Here is a list of all the questions For Reference:
Warning: Spoiler!

How should we reorder them?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Rosalyn J.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #230713 by
As I've said elsewhere the current FAQ is a great and useful resource. But it's not really an FAQ which should be short, snappy, and an actual list of answers and links to resources for the questions which are actually asked. As such I'd rename our current page and add an additional FAQ page with a short, simple list of the questions we are actually frequently asked and brief answers or links.

We get a lot of people posting on the wall or in the confused section who say "I read the FAQ but it was confusing" or "I'm still not sure what to do". I can't help but feel they're the exact people who would benefit from an FAQ on top of the info dump we currently provide.

Rule #1: FAQs should be short and limited

I managed a support center that yielded some interesting results when we started recording clicks and interactions. From these results we realized we had two options for the beginning of the FAQ, one yielding much better results than the other.

1. When we had a very prominent search box plus a few select links beneath it (like the Mailchimp example below), search went way up. The design led users to instinctively search for their question first before clicking the FAQs.

2. When a page had an equally prominent search box and a long list of FAQs (15+ lines), there was a significant drop in search box usage. Customers clicked around on the FAQs first.

Option A allowed customers to see top issues first and then use the search for the questions instead of browsing and yielding more relevant results.

Option B had the FAQs dominating the page, forcing the customers to browse 15+ questions. After all that reading, they simply felt exhausted and would look for another channel for an answer.

http://blog.kayako.com/design-rules-faq-page/
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #230718 by
I actually really like the FAQ that currently stands. When I go to look for specific info (I was recently looking up clergy qualifications), I just CMD+F to find it.

Edit: That's a viewpoint of someone who's been here a short while. I also appreciated the FAQ's thoroughness when I was a brand new member.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230719 by
A separate Minor Faq would be great ...

Attachment h25706ee.png not found

Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago #230720 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:A Restructure of the FAQ's
I have already asked for that...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi