Light and Dark

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #213414 by
Light and Dark was created by
It often seems that when people wish to define whether something is "good" or "bad," the pairs "light and dark" or "black and white" are the most commonly used terms. I find that I quite disagree with this usage, as it tends to denote "black"or "dark" as being "evil."

Even the labeling of certain things as "good" and "bad" I disagree with. Such as the Force.

How can any part of the Force be "evil?" What is "evil" on a level that would make it so?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #213417 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Light and Dark
Why the association of good and bad - probably just carried over from the days before electricity, when night was a slightly more scary place... perhaps!? I also agree the Force is not evil.

You'll probably find dark is not associated with bad, evil or such things here too much, if at all.

In regards to the Force its quite open to personal interpretation (entirely open perhaps!). If it worries you then one way though to think about it which avoid the association is to view it in terms of ones distraction from the Force; such that the Force is the light, and being distracted from a close relationship with it is a bit like being in the dark. This way perhaps certain behaviours can lead you to the dark side of the Force, by taking you further away from it
:lol:

But it's up to the individual interpretation as to what might be the best usage of those terms. the other way around might be more meaningful for some, instead of using the quantity of light to measure presence of something, light being full dark being empty, the reverse could be light is blinding and dark is calming.

For me though, acting evil would be leading to the dark side of the Force - noting its not any particular side to the Force, rather my distance from my idealized relationship with it, because compassion to me is related to my experience of the Force and evil to me is the opposite of compassion. If that is too nebulous an example, perhaps consider the Moon is not half covered in darker dirt then the other half, but it still has a dark side/half to it. It seems the most common way is to view the Force as positive and therefore a guiding light to walk in the dark, a beacon to navigate, warmth from fire etc.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #213419 by
Replied by on topic Light and Dark
I actually like to separate it into "constructive" and "destructive," seeing as what is called the dark side can be very self-destructive.

Sorry, but the concepts of "good" and "evil" are ones I love contemplating, especially their application in regards to objects or energies.

More
8 years 4 months ago #213424 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Light and Dark
My question is how can there be light without darkness? I think it's not so much "dark side of the force" moreless, its the choices people make or intentions. Hitler, Stalen, Hussein ring a bell. There is a dark side but, the force no, its beautiful, vast, mysterious...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226253 by
I enjoy thinking that true evil doesn't exist but in the minds of men and women who experience the dark side of "good" intention. Whilst it would be difficult to argue "evil" men such as Hitler and Hussein acted with compassion, it could be true that these people acted out of their own belief of what is "good" or more likely 'necessary', however corrupted that belief may be. Therefore I enjoy Adder's interpretation/analogy wherein "light" brings a closer understanding and relationship to the truth of The Force, being one fitting with the Jedi way, and "dark" being the void of the true understanding of such compassionate understanding. Although in saying that I guess the "dark side" may argue that the non compassionate way is the "good" truth...

The dualistic way of seeing light and dark is flawed, it must be far more complex than simple black and white to reach truth, however, if we saw neither light nor darkness in any act, would such objective truth be good or bad?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226257 by
This stuff is the topic of focus in TotJO's Initiate Programme... a large part of the second lesson. I recommend it highly :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226277 by

Wyllow wrote: The dualistic way of seeing light and dark is flawed, it must be far more complex than simple black and white to reach truth, however, if we saw neither light nor darkness in any act, would such objective truth be good or bad?

This is true and can be seen in Yin & Yang. There is a bit light in the darkness, and a bit of darkness in the light.
One is not without the other.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226281 by

Rahzai wrote: It often seems that when people wish to define whether something is "good" or "bad," the pairs "light and dark" or "black and white" are the most commonly used terms. I find that I quite disagree with this usage, as it tends to denote "black"or "dark" as being "evil."

Even the labeling of certain things as "good" and "bad" I disagree with. Such as the Force.

How can any part of the Force be "evil?" What is "evil" on a level that would make it so?

Well said, Rahzai :) Duality is a human invention. The sooner you get past it, the sooner your perspective will be broadened.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226286 by

Riyuma wrote: This is true and can be seen in Yin & Yang. There is a bit light in the darkness, and a bit of darkness in the light.
One is not without the other.

Not only that but within the context of the yin/yang there is no evil. Its the only oppositional pair that are not included. All others are there including good and bad. All the opposites are considered a positive thing though. While things may appear good or bad on the surface because things are experienced as such in our lives when looked at in the grander scheme of things, even "bad" things are good for us; they are not Evil.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226311 by
Also, different approaches to life. Different mentalities, different views. What about that middle line? Where does light meet dark? Where does one end and the other begin?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi