Responses to (and roots of) Terrorism

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209469 by Adder

OB1Shinobi wrote: "how the USA created ISIS"

im open to suggested reading

Sorry, I don't have any readings to share. Just my opinion from readings over the years... as such its just my opinion and will likely have its own mistakes.

Typically I disagree with how its presented since it doesn't agree with my own opinions about it... so it sort of felt like cherry picked facts lined up to present a convincing argument - which is I guess how we all present an argument. I don't have the time to do that as I am not writing a book, but am happy to share how I see things.

Talking about death is a tad saddening, but its only a reflection on what is actually happening to people in those areas. So I don't mean to dehumanize the actual events. Asserting blame and causality though does invite some analysis of these events, so I thought I'd drop a response anyway. It might be a bit heavy, or not ?
:S

Warning: Spoiler!

So yea, the US did create the IS as it is now, but not for those reasons in the vidz, IMO, rather because it created a huge problem in Syria which drove refugee's into the arms of a pre-established large Salafi jihadi group which took advantage of the circumstances to go down its present path.

Yes they would not have been there is if it was not for Iraq, but we would not have been in Iraq if it was not for them :blink: :pinch:

I should add though, that IMO the IS is not a 'terrorist group', but rather a group that uses terrorism. So their roots don't directly inform the question entirely. They conduct more conventional war fighting as well, but because their ideology is so divisive they seemingly have to incorporate terrorism to control and convert those of marginal or no faith in their particular belief - which means its the go to for them in foreign countries like in the West because it gives them a bigger bang for their buck.
:unsure:
Though that is just a distinction I make, and anyone using terrorism is usually called a terrorist group.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209475 by OB1Shinobi
thank you
that was detailed and thoughtful

im going to have to read it a couple more times before i comment, if i comment which i may not, but i am certainly grateful for your time and perspective

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209491 by
Blackdraco stated the blunt truth that we are at war, and she is right. We have, in my view, committed a grave error by declaring war on an intangible (i.e. terror); whenever we have done that in the past, such as with cancer, or drugs, or poverty, the war never ends, as the identified enemy does not know how to surrender (and never feels a need to).

A real war on terror would not involve guns, as terror lives within its host. The only way to overcome it is to foster courage, to not be afraid.

I share the sentiment expressed by many here that the expanding militarism of both East and West is not primarily about religion. Out of roughly 1 billion Muslims in the world, it seems over 990 million do not find in their faith a mandate to wage war, so something else is happening.

When a people experiences in life more reason for hope than despair, the possibility of a future that is brighter than the present, justification for trust in its neighbors, and a current state of reasonable well-being, the drive toward militarism tends to be extinguished. I hope such a way of life is something that becomes increasingly common among all people.

More
8 years 5 months ago #209506 by Loudzoo
As responses to Terrorism go I'd say this is right up there . . .

Antoine Leiris, whose wife was killed when gun-wielding militants invaded a crowded concert hall in Paris, has this message for the killers:

“You won’t have my hate. On Friday night you took the life of someone exceptional, the love of my life, the mother of my son, but I will not hate you. I do not know who you are and I do not want to know. You are dead inside. If the God for whom you blindly kill really made us in his image, then each bullet in my wife’s body is a wound to his heart.”

“So I will not give you the gift of hate. Even though it is what you were hoping for, responding to hatred with anger would be to fall to the same ignorance that made you the people that you are. You want me to be scared, to distrust my fellow citizens, and to sacrifice my liberty for security. I will play on.”

“Of course I am devastated by grief, I will concede you that small victory, but that will not last long. I know that she will watch over us always and that, one day, we will meet again in that paradise of free souls where you will never be admitted.”

“Now it’s just the two of us, my son and I, but we are stronger than all the armies of the world. In fact, I do not have any more time to waste on you, I need to go and get Melvil, who is waking up from his nap. He is only 17 months old, he will eat his afternoon tea as always and then we will go and play as always, and this little boy’s entire life will be an affront to you by being happy and free. For he will not hate you either.”

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210135 by OB1Shinobi
how much money does daesh have and where does it come from - according to the internetz

http://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2015/11/23/financing-terror-where-does-the-islamic-state-group-get-its-money

Matthew Levitt, the director of the Stein Program on Counterterrorism and Intelligence at the Washington Institute

"So their No. 1 source of funding are the taxes and the extortion rackets that they run in every different type of way, from taking your cattle and selling them back to you to taxing truck drivers on the road and minorities and farmers and people who want to take money out of their bank accounts and people who, even with permission, want to leave and then come back to the [region].

Their No. 2 source of funding is oil. We've had great success in curbing their ability to make as much money from oil as they were in the past, but that's little consolation, since they're still making tremendous amounts of money. Around September 2014, they were making about $3 million per day, we estimate. And then it went down to maybe $1 million, maybe even less – $750,000 per day. Now we assess it's somewhere between $40 to $50 million per month, which is a huge amount of money."

"We need to recognize, though, that in the macro-sense, our ability to constrict the Islamic State [group]'s financial capacity is largely limited by the fact that most of what they are doing is criminal activity domestic to Iraq. It's not crossing any borders.

In fact, as we were taking actions against their oil smuggling, one of the things they did was they started directing it internally to their areas in Iraq and Syria and using it for domestic consumption. Most of the tools we've developed since 9/11 have focused on moneys traveling around the world, through formal or informal financial systems but are crossing borders. Without that, many of the tools we have in our toolkit just aren't as applicable.

And there is neither in Iraq nor Syria a government that would be able to do what would normally be done under these circumstances, which is local law enforcement. And that creates a vacuum and a space in which criminal activity can be conducted writ large."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-19/why-u-s-efforts-to-cut-off-islamic-state-s-funds-have-failed

According to U.S. Department of the Treasury officials and data they released in the wake of the Paris mayhem, the terrorist group is actually taking in $500 million from oil a year. [originally estimated at 100 million]

http://www.rand.org/topics/terrorism-financing.html

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/19/world/middleeast/isis-finances.html?_r=0

"The Islamic State takes in more than $1 million per day in extortion and taxation"

http://anonhq.com/putin-exposes-40-countries-that-finance-isis/

Russian President Vladimir Putin claims that the ISIS terrorists are receiving funding from at least 40 countries, including G-20 members. After the just-concluded G-20 meet in Turkey, Putin told reporters that he shared Russian intelligence data on Islamic State financing with his G-20 colleagues:

“I provided examples based on our data on the financing of different Islamic State units by private individuals. This money, as we have established, comes from 40 countries and, there are some of the G20 members among them."

People are complicated.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210145 by OB1Shinobi
what i post is obviously a very abbreviated version of the info
ive done my best to highlight the key concepts but i am not a historian or sociologist or trained analyst - im just a guy on the internet

these seem important questions to me in understanding the situation

what is a caliphate?

what does the idea of a caliphate mean to muslims?

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/10/5884593/9-questions-about-the-caliphate-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask

"A caliphate is a an Islamic state — and then some. In theory, a caliphate is more than just a country that happens to be officially Muslim; it is supposed to encompass every Muslim on earth. The last time that sort of caliphate existed was many centuries ago. But the word caliphate still evokes the idea of a glorious and unified Islamic civilization, which is what the first caliphates were.

The idea of a unified community of all believers is important in Islam, so Mohammed and his followers organized a self-governing political system that included all Muslims — at the time, not so many people. In other words, Islam was founded as a religion and a state. "

What does a caliph do, exactly?

"Originally, the caliph was the person who took over Mohammed's two earthly responsibilities: (1) rule over the unified Islamic state and (2) responsibility for all Muslims.

Rule over a unified Islamic state and bear responsibility for the community of all Muslims, or the ummah."

7) Why are jihadists so obsessed with this stuff?

"Jihadists see the caliphates as the height of Islam's glory, as the banner of a sort of Islamic nationalism. It's more than that, though: many modern-day jihadists and Islamists also see the caliphates as the answer to the last two centuries of subjugation and humiliation at the hands of Western powers."

8) The caliphate was in fact a place of ultra-conservative Islam and anti-modern intolerance, right?

"Wrong! That's what jihadists, like today's ISIS leaders, want it to be, because they themselves wish to run an oppressive, intolerant, anti-modern, ultra-conservative state.

Abbasid society during its heyday thrived on multiculturalism, science, innovation, learning and culture - in sharp contrast to ISIS' violent puritanism. The irreverent court poet of the legendary Caliph Harun al-Rashid (circa 763-809), Abu Nuwas, not only penned odes to wine, but also wrote erotic gay verse that would make a modern imam blush.

Centered on the Bayt al-Hikma, Baghdad's "House of Wisdom," the Abbasid caliphate produced notable advances in the sciences and mathematics. The modern scientific method itself was invented in Baghdad by Ibn al-Haytham, who has been called "the first true scientist.""

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33291429

"The caliphate, especially of early Islam (632-1258), enjoys an almost mythical status in Islamic literature and school curriculum in many Muslim countries.

The same goes for its related military conquests that allowed Muslim rule and religion to extend far beyond Arabia to include the Middle East, North Africa, large parts of Asia, and Spain. School literature is often filtered to leave out any negative aspects of caliphate rule, hence producing a glossy image of that institution.
The era was marked by scientific and cultural prosperity, with Muslims making important contributions to mankind.
Many young Muslims grow up reading, studying and hearing tales about the "golden age" of caliphate rule with a sense that it was the only era of Muslim history to be proud of and aspire to return to."

"A crucial factor for the legitimacy of any caliphate - apart from wide Muslim acceptance and recognition - is to control sizeable territory and be able to provide protection and services to its constituents."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29761018

"The Arabic khalifa means a representative or successor, and in the Koran it is linked to the idea of just government - Adam, and then David and Solomon, are each said to be God's khalifa on earth.

"When people talk about a caliphate… they are talking about a leader who's accountable, about justice and accountability according to Islamic law,"

People are complicated.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #213269 by
Alexandre and I had a chat about this over in the TOTJO skype room today. For those who didn't catch it:

[10:04:58] Alexandre Orion: the political landscape here is getting a little scary
[10:05:07] tzb...: Indeed... MLP and her ilk
[10:06:18] Alexandre Orion: yes, the FN is gaining in popularity as people are feeling more and more desperate
[10:06:24] Alexandre Orion: it is to be understood
[10:06:41] tzb...: It's sad but I get where it comes from, after the Bataclan etc
[10:07:58] Alexandre Orion: and what led up to Bataclan
[10:08:12] Alexandre Orion: remember, lad, there is desperation on both sides of that coin
[10:08:21] tzb...: Yes
[10:09:14] Alexandre Orion: this isn't a new phenomenon
[10:10:18] tzb...: I remember when I was a student, attending a talk about Palestine
[10:10:29] tzb...: they had a Palestinian teen there, very eloquent guy
[10:10:43] tzb...: he put the "terrorism argument" very well
[10:11:40] tzb...: that if someone started flattening homes in your street, with a massive military force to back them up, and all you had was petrol and matches, wouldn't you try and cause as mcuh damage and disruption to the "flattener" as you could?
[10:11:55] tzb...: Of course, it's not right for civilians to be killed on either side
[10:12:22] tzb...: but yes, I definitely understand where the radicalisation comes from
[10:12:30] tzb...: and the xenophobia/racism
[10:12:37] Alexandre Orion: it isn't right for anyone to be killed for it
[10:12:54] tzb...: a lack of understanding of the fundamental fraternity of all people... our underlying "sameness"
[10:12:56] tzb...: no, of course not
[10:13:08] Alexandre Orion: after all, soldiers are also civilians under the uniform
[10:13:17] tzb...: soldiers are a special case, for me
[10:13:33] Alexandre Orion: they are indeed a special case
[10:13:36] tzb...: they volunteer for service in situations where they may have to take life
[10:13:44] tzb...: and as such, they risk having their lives taken
[10:13:54] Alexandre Orion: then explore how and why many of them volunteer
[10:14:06] tzb...: yes, I know where you're coming from there
[10:14:20] tzb...: I'm not saying certain people don't deserve empathy
[10:14:22] Alexandre Orion: isn't it basically in the same optic as people who volunteer to terrorist organisations ?
[10:14:30] tzb...: absolutely
[10:14:47] tzb...: and I am sadder to hear a bystander has been killed than a terrorist
[10:14:49] tzb...: or a soldier
[10:14:57] Alexandre Orion: why ?
[10:15:08] Alexandre Orion: under all the imagery, it was still someone
[10:15:18] Alexandre Orion: someone who was scared
[10:15:19] tzb...: because they did not volunteer their inolvement
[10:15:44] Alexandre Orion: the terrorist and the soldier did not do with very good motive ...
[10:16:00] Alexandre Orion: ... but how was their motive manipulated ?
[10:16:00] tzb...: but they held a weapon in their hands
[10:16:12] Alexandre Orion: yes ... but why ?
[10:16:14] tzb...: some of us refuse to hold the weapon, and suffer the consequences
[10:16:20] tzb...: and some hold it, and suffer other consequences
[10:16:29] Alexandre Orion: and they suffer the consequences of holding it
[10:16:35] tzb...: indeed
[10:16:40] tzb...: but that is their choice
[10:16:45] tzb...: so much as any of us choose anything
[10:17:03] tzb...: the circumstances of that decision are the key to ending the conflict, I agree
[10:17:04] Alexandre Orion: ah ! but what if holding the weapon (or not) is also a consequence ?
[10:17:15] tzb...: everything is a consequence
[10:17:20] tzb...: as you well know ;)
[10:17:38] Alexandre Orion: do I ? I might just be rambling .... :p
[10:17:42] Alexandre Orion: ;)
[10:19:02] Alexandre Orion: we just need to be especially careful of the Black-and-White box concerning this
[10:19:26] Alexandre Orion: it feels to me that everyone is suffering from terrorism -- especially the terrorists
[10:19:29] tzb...: I agree
[10:19:36] tzb...: It's absolutely a shade of grey
[10:19:51] tzb...: as I say, I have sympathy for the soldier, and to a degree for the terrorist
[10:20:01] tzb...: I just have more for the gig-goer at the Bataclan
[10:20:39] tzb...: I have sympathy for the fundamental humanity that is lost, or stripped back, to enable someone to kill another for... what?
[10:20:43] tzb...: a book?
[10:20:45] tzb...: some land?
[10:20:54] tzb...: there are other books, and plenty of land
[10:20:59] tzb...: but only one of each person
[10:21:08] Alexandre Orion: the land probably more than the book .... irrespective of what they say
[10:21:13] tzb...: indeed
[10:21:24] tzb...: but that doesn't let the books off the hook ;)
[10:21:30] Alexandre Orion: no
[10:21:32] Alexandre Orion: not at all
[10:22:34] Alexandre Orion: both the land and the book engender the fundamental(ist) desire for certainty and continuity
[10:22:45] Alexandre Orion: the book is about the land, after all
[10:22:48] tzb...: a fear of the "other"
[10:22:51] tzb...: the outsider
[10:22:58] Alexandre Orion: precisely
[10:23:12] tzb...: which is ironic
[10:23:15] Alexandre Orion: and that is why the cure for the problem is so distasteful
[10:23:18] Alexandre Orion: yep
[10:23:29] Alexandre Orion: you see where this is going .... ;)
[10:23:31] tzb...: ha ha
[10:23:38] tzb...: it all always boils down to the same thing
[10:23:49] tzb...: the only thing
[10:24:13] Alexandre Orion: when we see one another as 'brother' -- then that evil other that gives some sense of belonging fades away
[10:24:37] tzb...: and when we see one another as facets of the same whole.. well
[10:24:38] Alexandre Orion: yes, the only thing can't be fought for
[10:24:48] tzb...: the left hand fighting the right
[10:24:49] Alexandre Orion: there is nothing to fight against
[10:25:15] Alexandre Orion: and what do we call that when body parts fight one another ?
[10:25:24] Alexandre Orion: it is usually the organs that engage in it
[10:25:28] tzb...: disease
[10:25:31] Alexandre Orion: on a cellular level
[10:25:35] tzb...: cancer
[10:25:40] Alexandre Orion: precisely ...
[10:26:02] tzb...: "fear is the path to the dark side", indeed
[10:26:23] Alexandre Orion: now
[10:26:37] tzb...: when?
[10:26:51] Alexandre Orion: is my cancerous cell any less one of my cells than my right hand is one of my hands ?
[10:26:57] Alexandre Orion: oups
[10:27:04] Alexandre Orion: is my cancerous cell
[10:27:16] tzb...: No, it's a fundamental part of who you are
[10:27:26] tzb...: but that doesn't mean you wouldn't take steps to rid yourself of it
[10:27:36] Alexandre Orion: is it deformed and deadly ?
[10:27:49] Alexandre Orion: like the soldier or the terrorist ?
[10:27:56] tzb...: indeed
[10:28:07] Alexandre Orion: why did it get cancerous ?
[10:28:46] Alexandre Orion: was the body as a whole nourished properly ?
[10:29:04] tzb...: exposure to radiation from atomic weapons, ergo we should ban the nukes :P
[10:29:08] tzb...: but yes
[10:29:09] Alexandre Orion: :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #213271 by

Omhu Cuspor wrote: A real war on terror would not involve guns, as terror lives within its host. The only way to overcome it is to foster courage, to not be afraid.

I agree

Fear is the greater enemy than the war on terror, if it is not the same thing.

More
8 years 4 months ago #213390 by Kohadre
I am personally responding to the increasing threat of terrorism by investing in casual armor products (bulletproof clothing and backpacks), as well as threat detection and resistance training.

Everybody has to take responsibility for their own safety, if you have to call for the police or military you are already up shit creek without a paddle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #213408 by
Hello again. It's been a while. The conversation between tzb and Orion gets to the core of the issue. The cancer analogy is accurate and the methods of prevention do indeed include proper nutrition and avoiding those things that corrupt the cells. The next obvious question is, "well what do you do with the cells that are already cancerous? How do you protect the cells that have yet to be corrupted?" This is where the analogy falters. Not because the analogy isn't sufficient, but because our methods are. The common answer to that question in analogous terms would be, "you cut it out," but that is only because, when dealing with real cancer, we don't currently have a method of curing it without hurting the cells and, in many cases, the rest of the body. We lack an understanding of the problem so the solution eludes us. So, in that way, discussing the roots is useful. There are many roots, so it will be a long discussion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi