What Is Your "Champion" Cause?

More
8 years 5 months ago #209729 by Zenchi

CryojenX wrote: I thought I'd bump this by asking where you draw the line in feeling you've done "enough"? How do you choose what takes priority? It was easy to choose a few causes that mean a lot to me, but then life happens, a friend needed help and I helped. But it wasn't enough, she's still in bad shape and only one other person has helped. I've only got about 200 bucks to see me to the end of the month (I'm on disability, but living with family), but she's got a family to take care of and is in need. If I give more, it is would still only be about a quarter of the money she needs. Believe me I want to give her all the money I can, but having already done my part, would it even be wise with such limited funds. How does one turn down a good cause? There are more charitable causes than any of us could possibly donate to. How can one draw a line and still look at oneself in the mirror?

I feel overwhelmed by the needs of the many, not because I don't want to help, but because I do. :(

These are good questions, and I've asked them all myself while looking in the mirror. The answers I have will not satisfy you, nor will they serve as council. The world is a very cold place in many instances, we live in a society that is, for the most part, unawakened, and doesn't care. People gripe, bitch and complain about the possible refugees coming into this country, stating we should donate more time and resources to helping the homeless, only to days later, tell a homeless man to get a job.

First, you cannot not allow the problems of the world to swallow you in its often negative influence. You HAVE TO HAVE WALLS, and work on them daily. This doesn't make me cold, it keeps me sane. The world is a vampire, it wants to gobble you up, spit you out, and not think twice about the process unless there's either money to be had, or it'll convince others to watch the news, which is heavily filtered. I am an empath, and empaths must build there walls or they'll lose there sanity.

Second, you focus on whats of immediate importance, that which is of the highest priority, and which you can improve upon, and stick with that. Remember, you cannot save the world, you will only drown as a result.

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209734 by
Replied by on topic What Is Your "Champion" Cause?
The question of when do you know you have done enough made me remember something I learned in a coursera lesson.
It's what is called "otherish" giving.

Warning: Spoiler!

Link to full article.

The only person who can decide when enough is enough is the person giving. But I believe there is a limit and that it is perfectly fine to have one. If everyone was an "otherish" giver this world would look completely different.
Do what you can without harming yourself.

http://youtu.be/uaWA2GbcnJU
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

More
8 years 5 months ago #209766 by Skryym
I would like to thank Reliah for posting "The Unsung Hero". That is a beautiful video I watch every time I feel like I'm becoming overly dogmatic about my cause.

With that, I've always felt like my champion concerned environmental protection. Years ago I put nature on a much higher pedestal than humanity. Now I recognize the need for a mutual relationship. Because we are part of the ecosystem, no matter how much we deny it. In the words of Aldo Leapold, “Conservation is getting nowhere because it is incompatible with our Abrahamic concept of land. We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.

Environmental ethics and philosophy has always been a wonderful interest of mine. And some day be a good enough writer/mediator to help people foster this mutual relationship.

That would be my dream cause. What I'm aiming for as a career is responsible land management. I can't save forests by protecting them and telling people to stay out. But I can help them managing the ecosystem to the economic and recreational benefit of humans, while protecting wildlife and domestic habitat. It's all about the balance!

Throughout my life, if I care too much about any one thing, I end up with tunnel vision and loose empathy for everything else. For me, this has been a recurring problem with environmentalism, that's why I'm so grateful for content such as the "Unsung hero" that Reliah posted.

Our "Champion" cause should merely be being the best people we can, making life as happy as possible for those around us.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209779 by OB1Shinobi
my champion cause right now is my own life

i am pursuing a set of specific goals that will improve the quality of my life significantly

might sound selfish but its the right thing for me to do at this time

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209793 by

Tamlane42 wrote: The HR manager's reply was something like, "A terminator could have scored higher." I find it very hard to find sympathy for others, volunteerism isn't in my nature, but I have over the last couple years donated when I could to the Navy SEAL foundation and Troops Direct. I've also been told I'm an excellent teacher and mentor within my industry, even if I come of like a drill instructor most the time.

I think it is commendable to do the bet you can with what you got. Who knows what the future holds for you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209795 by

Dessel761 wrote: There isn't any one specific cause I champion. I am a volunteer firefighter and a union steward to help people however I can. I don't seem out causes and ways to change the "world", I let them find me. Even the smallest deed makes a difference.

Just peace.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209807 by

Skryym wrote: Throughout my life, if I care too much about any one thing, I end up with tunnel vision and loose empathy for everything else. For me, this has been a recurring problem with environmentalism, that's why I'm so grateful for content such as the "Unsung hero" that Reliah posted.

Our "Champion" cause should merely be being the best people we can, making life as happy as possible for those around us.

You raise a good point. Focus is an admirable trait, but to focus on one thing necessitates ignoring others. Perhaps this is an area where the concept of "receptive awareness" would be better suited.

Thanks for the insight. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209813 by
Suicide prevention, particularly among transgender people, moves me. I don't always do a very good job helping, but I try and that's more than nothing.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209902 by

CryojenX wrote: How does one turn down a good cause? There are more charitable causes than any of us could possibly donate to. How can one draw a line and still look at oneself in the mirror?

If you were to reflect on the dire situations that exist for hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, you would never get sleep, and no one person has the resources necessary to save them all. In a world where people spend more money on Starbucks than on charity, I find peace in giving what I can to those in more need than myself. My hope is that others follow the example.

I contribute to and volunteer for the American Cancer Society, various animal welfare groups, and work as part of a group to provide college scholarships to local high school seniors each year. I'm trying to set up a health literacy day where I have health professions students set up to provide free health screenings and info on various disease states.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209918 by
I am not sure about how to specifically put into words what I feel as my Champion Cause.
Well, I'll try to explain it.

I feel like a protector.
I know that I am a little bit obsessed with control that's my main problem. In fact I am very attached with my home and the safe space it represents. I have some problems when I move from one place to the other as I feel not 'at home' easily.

So, all of that just to try to explain that when I feel confortable with someone (I dont mind if I know him/her or not, just feel good vibrations) I have the need to protect that person. I deeply hate physical or psychological abuse and I would protect anyone from suffering that or being tortured in any way. The more susceptible a person is to suffer that (elder people, children or some woman) the most protector I feel about them.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by . Reason: Language retouching. :P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi