What Is Your "Champion" Cause?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207238 by
As Jedi, we all want to do good in the world, and we do through every compassionate action change the world for the better. But I'm curious, what is your signature cause that you like champion or feel most strongly about than any other. Do you have one?

Personally, I get involved in a lot of petition stuff, but when it comes to a cause that is very personal and will get my donations every month it would be Covenant House . They do a lot of work sheltering homeless teens and fighting human-trafficking, among other things, and are currently running a bed and blanket drive for the coming winter.

So do you have a "Champion" cause? If so, what is it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #207239 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic What Is Your "Champion" Cause?
Improving mental health in prisons... a group I do like is the Phoenix Prison Trust , who bring meditation and yoga to inmates.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207240 by
Replied by on topic What Is Your "Champion" Cause?
Helping and shielding others.

(Oooh, such a deep and original reply!)

I know, I know. Generic. But, as someone who came from a history of abuse and has PTSD due to it, I strongly feel no one else should suffer like that, if I can do anything about it. So I'm drawn to the way of Jediism, and the way I carry myself in life, because I want to offer safety and protection to those in need.

If I can improve the life of even a single person, from making them smile, to preventing a suicide or other harm, then I have been successful in my life.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207241 by

Cayce wrote: Helping and shielding others.

(Oooh, such a deep and original reply!)

I know, I know. Generic. But, as someone who came from a history of abuse and has PTSD due to it, I strongly feel no one else should suffer like that, if I can do anything about it. So I'm drawn to the way of Jediism, and the way I carry myself in life, because I want to offer safety and protection to those in need.

If I can improve the life of even a single person, from making them smile, to preventing a suicide or other harm, then I have been successful in my life.

I know what you mean, and I feel for you; I have my own history of abuse and PTSD as well. And for what it's worth, you made me smile. :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #207247 by Alethea Thompson
"Let's Regroup: Building Stronger Citizens" is my champion cause. :) I'm also the only one really running it at the moment.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #207251 by
I volunteer at a local homeless shelter for the charity WNSMK. This season I've been made a team leader. I take night shifts, sleeping alongside the guests and resolving any issues which come up overnight. We do a lot of work monitoring health issues, mental and physical, addiction and supporting people into housing and work. I've also done winter night sleepouts and that kind of thing to raise awareness and funding.

I've never been personally affected by homelessness, but it seems disgusting to me that in a comparatively rich western democracy we can allow people to sleep on the street. So I guess you could say homelessness does affect me.

I'm also a passionate supporter of my local food bank and support political campaigns and movements which suggest that in a country with a £300,000,000+ pa space programme, people shouldn't be going without food to eat.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207260 by

CryojenX wrote: I know what you mean, and I feel for you; I have my own history of abuse and PTSD as well. And for what it's worth, you made me smile. :)

Awww, well thank you, that truly does mean the world to me!

More
8 years 6 months ago #207261 by Tarran
I have a few that tug at me, and I fly towards with all me heart. I cannot stick to just one. I love to serve in whatever capacity I'm able, for things that involve combating homelessness, hunger, aboriginal/first peoples' issues, all worldwide... all of which I've suffered from myself, in various points in my life... not the least of which is another, which plagues me constantly, and to no end, no depth unreachable. Depression.

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #207289 by
Sounds like the question is "Why are you a Jedi?" Maybe?

Well, my cause (or reason for being a Jedi) is to spread wisdom. Knowledge and understanding are the foundation of society. What do we believe? Why do we do what we do? It's the questions that lead to the level of understanding of a particular civilization, which then determine the problems, or lack thereof, in that society. More wisdom means less problems, as I see it. So I do my best to take what wisdom I've learned and pass it on to whoever wants to listen.

I don't push it on anyone, but I offer it when asked what I believe.

More
8 years 6 months ago #207290 by Alexandre Orion

“But you were always a good man of business, Jacob,” faltered
Scrooge, who now began to apply this to himself.

“Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind
was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity,
mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.
The
dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive
ocean of my business!”

~ Charles Dickens, 'A Christmas Carol', December, 1843

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Zenchi,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi