Desolous, Knight, Ceremony, 2013

More
10 years 4 months ago #125564 by Avalon

Adder wrote: as it makes the driver take their dominant hand off the steering wheel to change gears....

Who does that anymore? That's what automatics are for!

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #125566 by Adder

Avalonslight wrote:

Adder wrote: as it makes the driver take their dominant hand off the steering wheel to change gears....

Who does that anymore? That's what automatics are for!

Wait, doesn't everyone drive like they are on a racetrack!!!!

Even the fully automatics can be driven like a manual too, just not as well. Actually they accelerate quicker often because of faster upshifts, and since the downshifts can be manually commanded you can still drive an auto hard.... but overall its not as intimate as a manual. Engines also loose more power through an auto drivetrain then a manual one usually. So its a compromise. Of course these days you can buy cars with do both more effectively. Ooops I mean use the gearbox for more efficient and safer vehicle operation.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 4 months ago #125577 by RyuJin
I'm ambidextrous so it doesn't matter what side the shifter is on...I'll still be able to bang through the gears and smoke any automatic I race against :evil:

I'll take a good manual any day.... I miss that about my nissan sylvia....my mustang has the accursed aod tranny...granted it has a b&m stage 2 shift kit and hits each gear hard...but still it's an automatic :sick:

Btw grats again deso

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125594 by
Replied by on topic Desolous, Knight, Ceremony, 2013
Congrats, Desolous! Sorry I missed the ceremony.

-Luthien

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125597 by
^ It's tonight, I think? Hoping to pop in and lend my congratulations :)

More
10 years 4 months ago #125621 by Alexandre Orion
*screeeeeeeeeeeeech --- BAM*

(as opposed to Akkarin's wimpy 'bump') :P

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #125624 by

Adder wrote: It does not matter which side for 'commuting', but it's illogical to 'drive' on the right side!!! Well... until they got those flappy paddle gearboxes it was (IMO).

I've always thought it odd that since most people are right hand dominant that they'd put the steering wheel on the left, as it makes the driver take their dominant hand off the steering wheel to change gears....
versus
... putting the steering wheel on the right and driving on the left keeps the dominant hand on the wheel while changing gears, for better vehicle control!!!

LOL derail, bump for Des, congrats again and I hope I can make it to the ceremony tomorrow.

But that also allows for more careful shifting. If I attempted to shift with my left hand, chances are, I would hit the wrong gear. A good example is on the car my friend drives. When dropping from fifth to fourth, reverse is right next to it. If I had to use my left hand, I would probably have a likely chance of hitting the wrong gear and dropping into reverse. Wouldn't want that happening. Especially if I was on the highway!

And, congratulations, Desolous. I sincerely hope I can make it today.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 4 months ago #125625 by ren
Meh changing gears requires more dexterity than turning a wheel (it's not like it's going to start turning square on ya). I certainly prefer shifting with my right hand.

Besides Desolous drives on the right side so that's what we're going to do, and that includes you, [strike]australian people[/strike] Adder :P I don't want to hear any of that "oh yea but we drive upside down so right and left are inverted anyway" business! :silly: (< australian smiley :whistle: )

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125627 by
ahem...i think we got a bit off topic. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #125632 by
Is there really a topic? Haha

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi