Voting to ban members

More
4 years 9 months ago #339515 by OB1Shinobi
Ive been told that one of our members is going to be banned soon, based on a vote. Am i misinformed? Are bans being determined by popularity contests now? What happened to just having rules? If people are to be voted off the island, can the voting log please be made public?

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garm, Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
4 years 9 months ago #339517 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Voting to ban members
The member in question has a long history of launching personal attacks against members and newcomers alike....ever since failing to be knighted....

The council chose to let the knights vote on the matter because when the council acts alone, it's perceived as being too authoritative, and if the council doesn't act it's perceived as too lenient...

In this case the majority of knights have complained about said member's behaviour, habit of launching personal attacks, and making demands, so the council decided to let the knights vote on the matter with the council in agreement to act in accordance to what the knights decided would be best for the temple...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 9 months ago #339518 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Voting to ban members
I wonder if Kyrin actually took the time to PM members one by one, to see whom of us would play along and start this thread for her.

Regardless of methodology, the general question is valid. Why is she being banned?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, mkendall

More
4 years 9 months ago #339520 by Manu

RyuJin wrote: In this case the majority of knights have complained about said member's behaviour, habit of launching personal attacks, and making demands, so the council decided to let the knights vote on the matter with the council in agreement to act in accordance to what the knights decided would be best for the temple...

"Best for the Temple" is one of those catchphrases that is supposed to dignify the supposed sacrifice.

Let's be plain. People want Kyrin out because they can't handle her. Their annoyance at her antics and lenient disposition towards others' passive aggressive attacks is a clear double standard.

Well, if the vote is a done deal, it is a done deal. Just beware what you are shaping here. caveat emptor.

- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Amaya, OB1Shinobi

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 9 months ago #339521 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Voting to ban members
We are waiting on the knights to make a statement explaining their reasons.

We will publish the results of the vote as well.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, OB1Shinobi, Zero

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #339522 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Voting to ban members

Manu wrote: I wonder if Kyrin actually took the time to PM members one by one, to see whom of us would play along and start this thread for her.

Probably all three of us who would care lol
I have no problem starting this thread. Id do it for you, definitely. Almost anyone else, probably. Id have done it for Ari if his ban had just based on been peoples feelings rather than some pending legal action. Would probably have done it for Zenchi if i had been around when it happened or if i didnt see that he’s back, now. I think that people who invest years in the community are valuable, even if they need correction sometimes. Even if theyre hard to deal with. Community is built by the people who stick with it.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Amaya, Kobos, Rex, Zero

More
4 years 9 months ago #339523 by Manu

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Manu wrote: I wonder if Kyrin actually took the time to PM members one by one, to see whom of us would play along and start this thread for her.

Probably all three of us who would care lol
I have no problem starting this thread. Id do it for you, definitely. Almost anyone else, probably. Id have done it for Ari if his ban had just been peoples feelings rather than some pending legal action. Would have done it for Zenchi if id had been around when it happened or if i didnt see that he’s back, now. I think that people who invest years in the community are valuable, even if they need correction sometimes.

Awwww man, why do you have to take away the inflammatory edge off the thread, and melt my heart like that? :lol:

I agree with you. Our members are valuable. Life will take so many of them away. We shouldn't try to speed that up.

- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Rex, Zero, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 9 months ago #339524 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Voting to ban members

RyuJin wrote: In this case the majority of knights have complained about said member's behaviour...

Big mystery how a vote would go, lol.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Amaya, Zero

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #339530 by
Replied by on topic Voting to ban members
As one of the people Kyrin gave a heads up, I'll tell you all the same thing I told her:

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

The thing is, I saw this coming a long time ago. I even warned her. I told her that eventually people, especially those in positions of authority here, are going to get tired of her shit, and do something she won't like.

She laughed it off, more or less.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

I'll miss her, but if she doesn't learn from this it's just going to keep happening, and than who's to blame for that?

The leadership, who can't seem to do anything right in the eyes of the subject, anyway? Seriously, how much criticism levelled at them has been about transparency and accountability? They're talked about as though they were outright tyrants, but now they're the bad guys because they allowed a democratic process that worked out... about how one can reasonably expect it to?

I don't agree with it, but I get it. Democracy and meritocracy are two different things, and in a democracy, if nobody likes you, you're out.

Kyrin made her bed.

Yeah, yeah, with friends like me, who needs enemies- beat me, take my blood, whatever.

More
4 years 9 months ago #339531 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic Voting to ban members
I for one will miss kyrin, that being said ....IMO it was time for her to go. We can’t just keep allowing her to break rule after rule without a real consequence. She’s been temporarily banned over and over and over and over and over again. And I feel if the knights vote to ban her then it’s the right call. I know a lot of people will miss her unique ability to challenge ANYTHING we write, but I’m willing to bet we have lost a huge number of new members and a few who have been here for years, due to her actions. No one wants to post a new thought or idea when it’s gonna be torn apart by someone who refuses to use any form of tact when they are raining on your parade. Kyrin always has great thoughts of her own when she shares them, but 90 percent of the time her only goal is to prove anything that she didn’t write herself wrong. That’s not always a bad thing, don’t get me wrong, but it has to be done with tact. Name calling and making others feel bad about there own beliefs or thoughts is not what TOTJO is about...IMO anyways. TBH it’s why I haven’t posted in the forums in quite awhile even though I’m here every day. The constant negativity from her towards everyone is just too much. The worst part is that if she put that effort and great mind of hers to a positive use, she’d prolly be running this place. Just my thoughts.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentices: Khwang, Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol, Proteus, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,