American Jedi Documentry

More
6 years 9 months ago #292203 by Alethea Thompson
(this got pulled to the split thread, so I'm reposting it where it makes sense)

Opie Macleod (34) turned to Jediism as a way to escape his days as a misguided, fledgling gangster, but his most difficult challenge turned out to be losing his wife to the “dark side of the Force” – a real-life Sith named Miles.

I didn't catch this part was in the description until just now, but since it's out in the public eye: I hope that Opie tells the truth of what happened during this situation. Because the way this trailer protrays it, it paints two very good people in the wrong light. So for any of you that were thinking "OH THE SITH ARE EVIL!" or "WOW SHE WAS A HORRIBLE WIFE!", you've got it wrong- you've got it soooo very wrong. (And that's all I'm going to say on the matter)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #292205 by
Replied by on topic American Jedi Documentry
"reposting where it makes sense.

Alethea Thompson wrote: I hope that Opie tells the truth of what happened during this situation

1.) You don't know the "truth" of the situation. Only three people know that (and truth never gets portrayed properly - people always try not to look the like the idiot of the situation). So for once in your life stop acting like you know. I understand that calling your gossip - gossip - may not appeal to you. But please, try to let go of the high school mentality for two seconds. Instead making snap judgments before you have anything to make judgments on. Your assumptions are telling.
2.) Why would anyone, especially a Jedi, jump to such awful conclusions about people they know nothing about? You threw that out there, not the trailer. Again, your assumptions are telling.
3.) I told the truth as best as a person can who is dealing with it. I didn't hide my idiocy or mistakes and my own issues. But that doesn't change facts.
4.) I have no idea how it plays out in the documentary because I wasn't involved in the process. Editing, Additions, all of that can change a lot. And if I don't know - then you definitely don't know. So how abut we wait and see what they do with it before passing judgment?

More
6 years 9 months ago #292206 by J. K. Barger
What was that symbol at the beginning?

The Force is with you, always.

More
6 years 9 months ago #292207 by Alethea Thompson
Yeah, sure. And yes, the trailer DID throw it out there. VERY clearly, where it directly calls out Miles as being some home wrecker. Kinda paints your ex in a terrible light too. I quoted the trailer information directly. But hey, since you're here- why not take an opportunity to tell everyone that the trailer's description of the whole thing isn't the whole story, why don't you?

And no, you're "I didn't hide my idiocy or mistakes" is not enough. You should see this as an opportunity to clear up the air before the film gets out. That way, if Laurent DID NOT represent this well, you can.

And for the record, I was asked to let people know this trailer is a poor understanding if it came up. Which it did- when Br. John posted the description.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
6 years 9 months ago #292210 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic American Jedi Documentry

J. K. Barger wrote: What was that symbol at the beginning?

That is the symbol of the for profit Church of Jediism which, as far as I know, had no members at the gathering where this was filmed. Someone has mistaken it as the symbol for Jediism.

If anyone knows better please correct me.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J. K. Barger

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #292211 by Alethea Thompson
No, there wasn't anyone at the gathering that was from CoJ. It's possible they were taking the definition from CoJ directly when they filmed this? We wouldn't know anymore since they redid their website. :/

Though, XD, funny enough, CoJ is all UK based, and at the time only had one Canadian on the team. Their only USAer left before the filming of this, as I recall.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Alethea Thompson.

More
6 years 9 months ago #292212 by Br. John
Before I forget, one of the main people (Hannigan?, Opie?) should remind the producer or associate producer that there is no listing in IMDB.com. I was looking for it and was surprised that nothing was there.

Even my little bit of this and that is there http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3035787/ so this certainly should be.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
6 years 9 months ago #292213 by Alethea Thompson
I could have sworn I saw it on there, not the 2002 one, but this one, today....Anyways, the information is passed on :) Hopefully that will get resolved.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
6 years 9 months ago #292219 by steamboat28

Br. John wrote:

J. K. Barger wrote: What was that symbol at the beginning?

That is the symbol of the for profit Church of Jediism which, as far as I know, had no members at the gathering where this was filmed. Someone has mistaken it as the symbol for Jediism.

If anyone knows better please correct me.

No, you're right. It would be easy to mistake it for a symbol for Jediism across-the-board, because two of the first four search results are that logo when you GIS for "jediism."

More
6 years 9 months ago #292222 by Br. John

Alethea Thompson wrote: I could have sworn I saw it on there, not the 2002 one, but this one, today....Anyways, the information is passed on :) Hopefully that will get resolved.

It's not there as of the time of this post. Here is the page for the director. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0538942/
It would show there if it was listed and the global site search only shows the short comedy film from 2002. They know now.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson