Apparently my photo was used in an Upworthy article

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #263572 by
Upworthy is a slightly left-of-center news blurb site that gives short news reports on a variety of things, usually trying to emphasize the good in humanity.

Today I learned that Upworthy did a piece on the Human Library Project which I volunteer for. I somehow ended up being prominently featured in some of the photographs (I think they were taken from Human Library Chicago's website). If you can't tell, I'm the oaf wearing glasses with a clergy shirt and jean vest.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

You can see the article for yourself by clicking here .

As for me, I just want to say that people have told me that I need to focus on educating people, that I can't get anywhere by being angry all the time or making demands. The Human Library is one of those spaces where I do just that. It's a place where I encourage people, face to face, to ask the uncomfortable or awkward questions that they may not know how to phrase in the best way (usually I have to tell them, "just spit it out and we'll worry about how to say it later").

In case you're wondering, my book title is "transgender minister"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #263576 by Carlos.Martinez3
I love that idea! thanks Jamie!!!!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #263617 by
No books! What will all the librarians do now.. :blink: Thank you for sharing. :cheer:

More
7 years 4 months ago #263678 by Breeze el Tierno
Really excellent, Jamie. Thank you for your work!

More
7 years 4 months ago #264009 by OB1Shinobi
the human book thing seems really cool, im impressed by that

i sincerely hope that your influence can help increase the amount of compassion and respect and dignity in the world, for all of us

thanks for sharing this

People are complicated.