If we had to change...

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #261987 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic If we had to change...
Why not simply change the spelling around if the time comes and we're forced to change it. Adding another d or an a before the I, wouldn't take much to fix it without something drastic such as changing it alltogether...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #261988 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic If we had to change...
Never mind. I'm changing my vote to Shadows of Zenchi.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Breeze el Tierno, Tarran

More
7 years 5 months ago #261991 by Carlos.Martinez3

Cabur Senaar wrote: Let us pretend that the Disney people come knocking on our door about our use of the term Jedi. Let us say that we are issued a cease and desist order and, for the sake of arguement, that Br. John and the Council agree without arguement.

So, now we have to call ourselves and what we do something else.

What do you feel that would change? What would those changes mean?

Disney is a funny creature big n powerful yet most of the "Walt" words are just words and names. Labels and liknesses have been tried and for some reason it hasn't worked, aka Disney tries to sue everybody . Take it for face value. Deadmau5 won his suite and countered sued AND won. Labels are labels. Hypothetical s lead down roads that dont exist.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 5 months ago #261997 by Breeze el Tierno
I don't mean to ask what new thing should we call ourselves, though I have my thoughts on that as well. (Order of Wayfarer Knights ftw!)

I mean what would change for the community, for each of us, if we were no longer legally able to use the words we do?

I think it would sting, but I think it might provide a profound growth oppurtunity.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #261998 by
Replied by on topic If we had to change...

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: People will learn of this path the same way any other spirituality grows, through word of mouth and through example and even through the teachings. Are you limiting this spirituality to the internet and subsequent google searches? Are you saying we should be advertising or recruiting and the only way to gain membership is through association with an imaginary universes fictional lore? If you are, you are missing the point of the faith in the first place and have hopelessly entangled what this path truly stands for with the Star Wars movies. They are not the same thing and I would suggest you rethink your approach my friend.

I think you're taking the point too far here. The teachings of Jesus Christ produce "Christians". People who follow the teachings have become easy to identify and associate with their faith. Jediism produces "Jedi". It is simply a matter of convenience while communicating. It's easier to use terms we are already familiar with than try to define and then adopt new ones. We are not trying to actively recruit people, but at the same time we don't need to be camouflaging ourselves either.

I agree that changing the name would have little to no impact on the actual teachings and the faith, but it would make it difficult for people to associate the faith with those who follow it until the new label becomes as familiar as the term "Jedi".

And for what it's worth, this faith is entangled with the Star Wars mythology for many here and it would be unfair to simply cast that aside. There are students here whose first lessons in spirituality came from Obi-Wan and Yoda. While we strive to move beyond the fiction and seek out the original sources, we can still acknowledge that the fiction has played a vital role in making this Temple and the entire Jedi community what it is today.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262007 by
I think it would scatter the community as a whole. The plethora of Jedi groups agree on very little, a name change would be possibly the hardest thing to get them to agree to, in my opinion. So I think each group would end up choosing whatever name they liked best and the groups would become as different in name as in teaching. That might not be horrible, honestly. I have no issues with the groups being different, but I know that the lack of cohesion is an issue for some. If we no longer shared the name then it wouldn't be a problem. Jedi wouldn't mean different things at different sites, each would have a different name for their unique meaning.

As a Temple we might get fewer people coming and asking if we practice telekinesis. Fewer discussions of "the dark side vs the light side." Fewer "Well Yoda said..." Less explaining the differences between the fictional Jedi and us. Fewer "Sith are bad people" threads.

I never thought I'd say this, but this isn't starting to sound like too bad an idea. :laugh: :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262015 by

Cabur Senaar wrote: (Order of Wayfarer Knights ftw!)

Haha, love the name! ;)

Cabur Senaar wrote: I mean what would change for the community, for each of us, if we were no longer legally able to use the words we do?

I personally wouldn't feel any different internally.

I'd of course be saddened, as the myth and its trappings are a reason all of this came into being, but no company can force me to not embrace that on a personal or private level. I'd be worried about the future of the temple / people fracturing / leaving, as well.

But I'd keep chasing my own path, and pursing my apprenticeship.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262022 by
I don't think it changes anything regarding beliefs or aspirations. The Star Wars Universe helps us by creating a sense of wonder and aspiration to be something greater based on visual, written, and auditory senses. The terms may change, but the stories, lessons, and values will not.

Language is a fluid thing. Stories are alive and always changing. Lessons, and the knowledge and wisdom contained in them will never change.

Another observation I've made (I'm very new here), is unlike most religions Jediism focuses on the values of the lessons, the progression to better oneself, and the dogmatic free support for all living things. We see the Jedi in the movies and read about them in books and we aspire to be like them. We see the balance they aim to create and feel that this balance is needed in a technologically advancing society. The way of the Jedi feels like a potential way of life, and that will never change.

More
7 years 5 months ago #262053 by Breeze el Tierno
I think Goken's point is well taken. Organization and finding each other gets tougher if we cannot agree on terms. And those bonds across the communiy are important. It provides a new avenue for silly ego battles. That will probably be pretty tiresome.

But, I'm not too worried. If anything happens, stay put and stick together. The names may change, but the project does not. And we can still study the example of Jedi regardless of any legal action.

And, again, the odds of us getting hassled seem unlikely.

Also, The Order of Wayfarer Knights is the best new name ever. Or, at least a close second to Shadows of Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Zenchi, , Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262056 by
Yeah well we can still become Knights , Knights of whatever :silly: its the actions that deternime the label , the label could be Jedi or Nurse or Forceuser , you would still be Knight and Deacon of the Order Cabur :cheer: