Knights of Awakening: Jedi Safe Spaces (Charles McBride)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #251871 by Jestor

basically im saying it is not appropriate to hold "defending the system" against anyone, but that this is a charge which applies to everyone if you really want to start throwing it around

how dare you!

:P

Thats what people think here when they defend our way of doing things!! THey have drank our Kool-aid, and not 'tow-the-line'...

Biggest bunch of hogwash ever, but, it makes the accusers feel better, lol...

the american system was designed with the intention that it could essentially be "self correcting" by its citizens. we have acknowledge that the idea of who was a citizen was different then, no doubt, but you can choose to see that as evidence of the "evil empire" or you can choose to recognize the progress that has been made, and choose to see that as evidence of the fact that our country is capable of making healthy progress and healthy change over time, whch means that the empire isnt entirely evil after-all

which is how i choose to see it

I too choose to see it that way...

I feel ANY system can be changed, but, banging on the gates, demanding it from the outside is doomed to fail, most of the time...

Just as in working on our own self improvement, if someone becomes a part of the system to make changes from within (its how I did it to TOTJO), then I feel it is more productive, and less bang-your-head-on-the-wall-ish...

But, its hard to tell that to some people, lol...

We each have our 'ways'... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #252255 by OB1Shinobi

Jamie Stick wrote: ...
3. That personal suffering means there is no ethno-cultural suffering or is equivalent to ethno-cultural suffering.
In response to the idea that personal suffering negates ethno-cultural suffering or is equivalent to ethno-cultural suffering. This one ties into my conception of what racism means, but stated another way I would say, "just because white supremacy exists does not mean you are incapable of suffering hardships. It only means you do not suffer hardships because of being white."

keeping in mind that this was a response to my previous posts, i think i should clarify something that i said which i believe to be the source of this point - i didnt previously, and do not currently, deny the reality of what you are referring to as "ethno-cultural suffering" (but, for the record, i think that phrase is pretentious a.h.), what i said basically was that 1) not every person of any race has the same cultural experience as every other person of that race; factors other than race, such as socio-economic status, education, location, social and commercial networks, upbringing, and even personal attitude, all make a big difference in the overall experience of any individual over the duration of a lifetime

and that 2) it is a very small percentage of individuals within any race who identify with all other non white races simply on the basis of not being white

in other words, i dont see a lot of hispanics and asians and blacks looking at each other and saying "yeah, we all have the same cultural experience"

im no longer young however, and the millennial generation might feel more disposed towards this, but i have witnessed racism and prejudice from every race and have not met any asians anywhere who identify with blacks at all, nor blacks who identify with asians, nor mexicans who identify with either: "POC" is not a race

it is a generalization of several generalizations

definitely i recognize that individuals of minority races are typically (read: statistically) going to be more likely to experience more suffering as a result of their race than whites will: afaik, thats not being disputed by any serious, competent observer on any side of these arguments, and i would dismiss out of hand anyone who suggests that there is no more racism in america or that racism isnt still a problem

my understanding is this: a black kid born to a drug prostitute in the slums of chicago has got quite a different experience of what it means to be black in america than will/do the grandchildren of Colin Powell

Warning: Spoiler!

the main points of my position are these:

1) Colin Powell's generation faced less racism than the Tuskegee Airmen but greater racism than millennials do, (probably without ever thinking he was so traumatized that he should demand his white allies to leave the room) and 2) the key to decreasing racism in the coming generations is for the current generation to further succeed in important cultural fields such as medicine, technology, science, politics, law, law enforcement, military, art, entertainment, and what can be generically labeled "business" or "entrepreneurship"

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/07/the-myth-of-the-millennial-entrepreneur/490058/

and that every white person is NOT personally responsible for the entire history of racism, (just as every white person is not equally responsible for the abolishment of slavery) and shifting the focus of the conversation in that direction takes it away from where it needs to be, which is how to open up social and economic access to those who dont have it (and i mean to the poor in general, much more than to any specific race)

it is literally the exact same kind of thinking to label "white culture" as being fundamentally violent and oppressive as it is to label "black culture" as being fundamentally violent and criminal: it is a skewed and resentful view which is more interested in hurting the enemy group than in building ANY group

the solution is the same today as it was 50 years ago: promote the idea that all individuals should be judged, "not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character" and the racial maturity that americans need to develop is that which comes as a natural result of accumulated experiences of cooperation and success - we need to see each other and be able to treat each other as friends, partners, and allies

we need to invest in each other, all of us

thats always been the right message, and those who work in that direction are the ones who are helping to make society better, and those who work to oppose that basic message arent

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.