TOTJO on the front page of the Beaumont Enterprise!

More
8 years 4 months ago #214215 by Br. John
It's amazing what they'll use and not use. The interview was over an hour and a half and the photographer took at least 100 pictures. He stayed long after the reporter left. Then he kept taking more pictures. Alright, I know - some of you are thinking what an idiot I was to pick up a Lightsaber. Fine. Next time me meet you can hit me on the head with a spoon and I'll eat a bug. And dammit - it was only for a few of the gadzillion pictures and just for fun to put online. Look what happened. There needs to be a training class on interviews. I've learned plenty and I'm still learning.

In the Dallas Morning News article I explained how being selfless did not mean not taking care of yourself first. I told the story of if the air masks drop during a flight you should ignore your children, spouse, friends and everyone else until you get your mask on. They won't die or be hurt by a moment with low air pressure. But if you pass out while fiddling with someone else's mask then you are no good to yourself or anyone else. The article has me saying the exact opposite of that.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Brenna,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #214223 by Breeze el Tierno
None of these articles is going to be anything but a snapshot. It's just a limitation of the medium. Nothing to be done about it.

That said, nice snapshot, Br. John, Brenna, and Clint!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214231 by
As long as you use the name "Jedi" and fictional associations of Jedi (IE: Jedi Code - Initiate - Apprentice - Knight) all media coverage will reflect the fiction strongly over your "Realism" point of view - because it is a good story, it is a subject of spiritual investment into the Myth and creative/new age expression.

Don't want those star wars references.....get rid of the words "Jedi" and so forth...

Just my thoughts anyways.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 4 months ago #214236 by Brenna
And yet all our media coverage has respected our take on it and portrayed our point of view and the differentiation perfectly :)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214238 by
Completely agree :) Simply saying Robes and Lightsabers are just part of the parcel ;)

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214240 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote: Completely agree :) Simply saying Robes and Lightsabers are just part of the parcel ;)

As a personal preference yes, as we have reiterated again and again with the media, personal preference maybe but its not a part of Jediism.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Zenchi

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
8 years 4 months ago #214245 by Brenna

Br. John wrote: It's amazing what they'll use and not use. The interview was over an hour and a half and the photographer took at least 100 pictures. He stayed long after the reporter left. Then he kept taking more pictures. Alright, I know - some of you are thinking what an idiot I was to pick up a Lightsaber. Fine. Next time me meet you can hit me on the head with a spoon and I'll eat a bug. And dammit - it was only for a few of the gadzillion pictures and just for fun to put online. Look what happened. There needs to be a training class on interviews. I've learned plenty.

You make a very good point about that. Recently I asked Jestor if we had media kits and branding and this sort of thing is a part of that. Dealing well with press requires clear key messaging, consistency and an understanding of their agenda vs our agenda. Maybe some guidelines and training is a good idea. Im sure Akkarin and I could come up with something.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Zenchi,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 4 months ago #214251 by Jestor

Alright, I know - some of you are thinking what an idiot I was to pick up a Lightsaber. Fine. Next time me meet you can hit me on the head with a spoon and I'll eat a bug

It was great john...

We push hard on the lightsabers and robes just so folks know there's more to it than that... :)

I would begrudge no one a talisman... ;)

Keep on truckin'... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna,

More
8 years 4 months ago #214265 by Alethea Thompson
Good article- SOOO glad they put "most people" are Star Wars fans and not all of us ;) Though I'm told this movie will change that for me. lol.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214275 by
You will most likely enjoy this one, Ally.