Jediism in the news :{ this is not good

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #126277 by
stumbled upon this half an hour ago..... a sex ring in the Australian Defence Force called the "Jedi Council"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/20013817/jedi-council-ringleader-arrested/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 5 months ago #126280 by Jestor
Thanks Gaia...

It could always be worse... :huh:

Stories of this nature will always be detrimental to our way of life... But, other faiths have had scandals and survived....

This is just another reason why I like to limit our connections to other organizations...

If I remember right, they (or someone with a similar name in Australia) sent us a "follow us" message on facebook...

Even being careful, we only know of others what they show us... Either voluntarily or, as in this case, involuntarily...

Also, they dont call it 'Jediism', a small detail, but, hopefully a big enough one... lol...

And, for everyone else, I created a forum for 'News', and have begun moving posts of this nature to that forum...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Wescli Wardest, MCSH

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 5 months ago #126290 by ren
Couldn't watch the video... I don't understand, what crime are they being accused of?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #126292 by

ren wrote: Couldn't watch the video... I don't understand, what crime are they being accused of?

Sending lewd emails to female Soldiers.

More
10 years 5 months ago #126293 by Br. John
What does this have to do with Jediism? It was just a code name for their group. Or is there more to it than that?

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 5 months ago #126295 by ren

Vesha wrote:

ren wrote: Couldn't watch the video... I don't understand, what crime are they being accused of?

that's a crime?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #126342 by Avalon

ren wrote:

Vesha wrote:

that's a crime?

Since he's part of the armed forces, yes. It qualifies as sexual harassment, which is punishable under the UCMJ. Although, since this isn't in the US, it's not the UCMJ per se, but anyone in the US military to do so would have been charged under that. I'm sure Australia has an equivalent.

Still:

Recently the ADF discharged six soldiers alleged to be at the centre of the Jedi Council ring.

They are alleged to have produced and distributed offensive material and imagery including filmed sex acts, dating back to 2010.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/20012225/man-arrested-over-offensive-adf-emails/

another article for ya

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Avalon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #126344 by

Jediism in the news

This isn't about Jediism and the church. It's about sex abuse in the military. There is no connection. :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #126362 by Adder
AFAIK it is unrelated to Jediism.

This is just a bunch of idiot's who called themselves a 'special' name because they were power tripping of demeaning women. Unfortunately the media runs with it because it gets attention, and often with bizarre headlines.

The military here has a bad habit of attraction morons sometimes. There is a few cases like that at the moment with the Australian Defence Force (ADF) regarding sexual harassment, rape etc because they've just done a big investigation into sexual misconduct across the entire ADF.

I actually sent a polite email to one of the local major news outlets a couple of weeks ago pointing out some concerns I had with the usage of the term, and how it was an actual religion in the US and UK. Clearly they've chosen to call themselves Jedi, but calling an email recipient group a name does not a Jedi make. I doubt it made any difference.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Llama Su

More
10 years 5 months ago #126371 by Alethea Thompson
Yeah, this is completely fine for us, because the words "alleged" and "self-fashioned" are used. They are making it a point that it has nothing to do with the movement itself. But I'll let some of our Aussies know if they feel the need to segregate themselves publicly from the guy.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana