IP Q and A

More
6 years 1 week ago #319138 by Kit
IP Q and A was created by Kit
I know there's been a lot of concerns about things going on lately. Please ask your IP questions here and I will answer them for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 week ago #319141 by
Replied by on topic IP Q and A
Dear Kit,

What are the policies on IP submission?

I feel if there are some, we should know.

More
6 years 1 week ago #319142 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic IP Q and A

Twigga wrote: Dear Kit,

What are the policies on IP submission?

I feel if there are some, we should know.

Policies on submission itself? Or how we check things? The submission is simply the Novice going to one of the POCs and saying "I'm done". Then the checking process is started. I can lay that out if you'd like :)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 week ago #319144 by
I would love you to lay out the checking process! Yes please Kit! ... Oh and a PoC is a point of contact? And that'd be Adhara for seniors and... I dunno who for Minors...

More
6 years 1 week ago #319146 by Kit

Twigga wrote: I would love you to lay out the checking process! Yes please Kit! ... Oh and a PoC is a point of contact? And that'd be Adhara for seniors and... I dunno who for Minors...

Eep sorry! PoC is Point of Contact. Adhara and Madhatter are both the POCs for journals. I think the Youth Officers might be for our youth.

When one of the POCs gets the message, they make a new thread in a special section of the Knight's Forum for IP Checking and title it "(Name) Journal Needing Checked"

This is what's posted:

spoiler for brevity

Any Knight who is available will read their way through the Novice's journal and reply back to the thread with something like this:

Spoiler for brevity

The Novice has as much time as they wish to complete the pieces that the Knight had described. Once they are done, the Knight then checks the new posts and posts in the IP checking thread that it was done to their satisfaction. At that time, a second Knight will review and either approve or bring up points that the first Knight may have missed.

It's also checked that their journal was started over 60 days ago.

Plagerism is usually checked by the IP Team while the Novice is still doing the Journal. But since they're short on Jedipower at the moment, it doesn't happen sometimes until the journal checking process. but here's how we do it:
  1. Choose a journal entry at random (Do not test Lesson 0 (Temple Structure) those are fine as copy/paste)
  2. Highlight two or three sentences in a row, from anywhere in the post.
  3. In the top menu of TotJO click Forum then Search
  4. Paste the sentences into the keyword section
  5. Under the Search Options change the “Search for posts from ‘A Year Ago’ to ‘Any date’
  6. Click Search
  7. Additionally, please check Google or another search provider for at least five of your checks. When you do, place quotation marks around the quote (this will search only for that specific phrase exactly instead of using key words within your search)

we also utilize web resources like https://searchenginereports.net/plagiarism-checker and they return with a percentage that the text is original or copied and what websites it's from. I do remember (but I can't find where) Madhatter said that if the matching percentage is at 20% or lower, he'll remind the Novice to utilize quotes and citations.

We do not consider quoting the doctrine as plagerism. In that section we'd be looking only at the replies to the lines.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 week ago #319148 by
Is the Initiate made aware of which Knights are checking their journal before they begin?

Is it possible for them to request an alternative reader if they feel uncomfortable with the judgements of a particular person being passed on their journal? (unfortunately, personality clashes do happen, and we are all human...)

More
6 years 1 week ago #319152 by Kit

Twigga wrote: Is the Initiate made aware of which Knights are checking their journal before they begin?

Is it possible for them to request an alternative reader if they feel uncomfortable with the judgements of a particular person being passed on their journal? (unfortunately, personality clashes do happen, and we are all human...)

Not usually unless the Knight tells them. It's kind of a "I'm free, I've got this" kind of thing.

That's part of the reason for the two person checks is to ensure fairness. There's not an official policy in place about having someone else check out a journal but depending on the circumstance, it could be done. Typically with the way we record and share how we check and what message we sent to the Novice, there's oversight on the process.

But say you feel I'm being unreasonable in my requirements on your journal because I'm holding a grudge that you wouln't share your last mint with me ;) . You are welcome to go to any Knight and bring it up with them. They already have access to your journal, and the IP checks section of the forum, so can see the requirements I'm making of you (provided I'm reporting them but then you can submit screen shots and all that and that's a bigger deal than just butting heads over the IP)

If you don't feel comfortable with any Knight, you could either start with your IP Team Sponsor (if you have one), the IP Team Lead (MadHatter) if you're comfortable with him, or you could even reach out to the Clergy too. If they're not Knights themselves, they'll know who can help you. But anyone else can look into it and see if I'm being fair and just holding up the standards, or are trying to keep you from making Initiate. (because mints are worth fighting for!)

I suppose this is all a kind of unnoficial process... that a new Novice wouldn't know. I think we need to find a good place to put something like this. *puff*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 week ago #319154 by
Next question: My journal is FAR from tidy. It's not just that I have stuff in there that's out of the IP order, but I have stuff in there that really isn't IP! However I think much of it is informative on who/what/when/where/how... it's appropriate for a TM or the clergy to read; but probably not necessary if my only intention is to attain Initiate rank (Like my super heroine greeter-of-all-newcomers elizabeth). Is it better for me to make a separate "Read this for passing IP" journal, or am I better off just leaving it all for you guys to comb through? I have insights on "Jediism to me" in posts that I didn't stick a title on :unsure: but on the other hand, I value your guys' time and it may only be necessary for a future TM or the seminary folks to read the WHOLE thing.

More
6 years 1 week ago #319157 by Kit

Twigga wrote: Next question: My journal is FAR from tidy. It's not just that I have stuff in there that's out of the IP order, but I have stuff in there that really isn't IP! However I think much of it is informative on who/what/when/where/how... it's appropriate for a TM or the clergy to read; but probably not necessary if my only intention is to attain Initiate rank (Like my super heroine greeter-of-all-newcomers elizabeth). Is it better for me to make a separate "Read this for passing IP" journal, or am I better off just leaving it all for you guys to comb through? I have insights on "Jediism to me" in posts that I didn't stick a title on :unsure: but on the other hand, I value your guys' time and it may only be necessary for a future TM or the seminary folks to read the WHOLE thing.

You journal is your journal to arrange as you see fit. It just needs to include all the lessons! When I was doing the IP I wanted to watch my growth and mindset along with the IP so I posted my non-IP stuff right along with my IP in the same journal. My IP had separate posts and were titled with the lessons and that's really all we'd ask for. If they're not titled, we might miss it but that's a simple fix. All you''d have to do is send the link to where it is. We do have some standards were looking for (listed in the IP lessons themselves) but beyond that, the journals are for you, not for us. Do what helps you learn best. We can work around you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #319160 by
We can link to individual posts?!? I don't know how to do that! Can you show me? I keep referring people to "fourth page in, third down"! :laugh: I think it could save everyone some spoons... In fact, that might be a nice way to get my journal in order for ease of reading - an "Index" with the links in... Some of my posts are well past the 1hr edit duration... *ponders*

The guidelines for the IP are pretty clear; however we all come from vastly different backgrounds. One person's best efforts will look quite different from another. Some will have given their all, but not have met requirements. The heart can be true Jedi, but the writing skills are just an insurmountable effort; particularly where English is a second language, or Specific Learning Difficulties are involved. How are those cases handled? On the other side, some of us may have met the guidelines, but it's clear to a knight-reader there's potentially more juice left in us. Do we, as Initiates, gain the benefit from all that reading and reflective work the knights do, and actually get questions for consideration and feedback on items, even when they are "Done"?
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by . Reason: more musing

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi