EPISODE II-C3PO

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #56997 by
EPISODE II-C3PO was created by
In the second episode we see that Anakin has these visons/dreams about his mother
in danger, or something like that, so he flies of to Tatooine and watches her die....

Anyways Threepio is owned by his stepfather when he arrives on the planet, but when he leaves
he in Anakin's ship? Did he just take the damn droid?

I guess it would make sense that the Stepfather gave it to him because his mother died, but is this specified anywhere?

To me it would be have been a strange scene if the Stepfather, I don't remember his name I think it was Lars, went up to Anakin and said "Well, your mom's dead so you can take my droid to kinda make up for me letting your mom get kidnapped and tortured by Tuskan Raiders....sorry kid, but hey free droid!"

Sounds like me just nit-picking, but it was just one of the flaws I saw in this film.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #56999 by
Replied by on topic Re: EPISODE II-C3PO
C3Po belongs to Anakin since he built it. What i find strange is that Owin didn't recognize C3Po years later after he bought him of the jawas. :dry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #57001 by
Yes but in rebuttal. Obi-Wan also neglected to tell Luke about his father, perhaps he withheld info so that Luke could forge his own path. Then later reveal what needs to be revealed

More
11 years 11 months ago #57002 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: EPISODE II-C3PO
Yeah it was Anakin's droid, and then technically Shmi's droid, so it wasn't like C-3PO really belonged to Lars. I hardly think that if Anakin said "hey, I made this droid and gave it to my Mum!", Lars was gonna be like "well it's mine now, you can't have it!"

That's a good point though Daniel - hadn't occurred to me before but you're right - surely Owen would have recognized C-3PO? Hmmm. Plot error alert...

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
11 years 11 months ago #57004 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: EPISODE II-C3PO

meatloaf wrote: Yes but in rebuttal. Obi-Wan also neglected to tell Luke about his father, perhaps he withheld info so that Luke could forge his own path. Then later reveal what needs to be revealed

Ah, and Daniel was talking about Owen, as in Owen Lars, Luke's Uncle.

But you're also right, and I have wondered that before - why did Obi-Wan not seem to have any flicker of recognition when he saw the droids again? He may have wanted to keep the past a secret but you definitely got the feeling that he absolutely had never seen them before. That's one of the inconsistencies that annoys me the most when I watch episode 4 (although of course that was the first movie, so it can't exactly be blamed on ep4...but even so, it's annoying that there's no explanation!).

B.Div | OCP

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #57013 by
Thanks for the responses.

I just thought it was strange for Anakin to want/ask for Threepio when his mother died just days ago.

I would be grieving, not really worrying about what around me, much less a droid that I have not seen in ten years.

But yes, it makes sense that since he built it he could keep it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #57497 by
why would owen have recognised C-3P0 he was just another droid to him and as we know there are countless amount of protocol driods all over the galaxy, one thing that gets to me os the fact that obi-wan can't remember owning R2-D2 (yes i know he didn't own him but still they were on countless missions together) so he would have know the little driod through Anakin.

More
11 years 11 months ago #57506 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: EPISODE II-C3PO
Droids can be reprogrammed so Obi-Wan probably treats anything as unknown until otherwise. He seems to react deeply when reminded of the name Obi-Wan so perhaps he had long forgotten his task to watch over Luke.... maybe busy waiting to sense Vader but ignoring Lukes other perils - in which case his discovery of Luke might have been fate.

Regarding D2's ownership, if you consider ownership as attachment, perhaps Obi-Wan was just making an underhanded point about Jedi philosophy.

Also R2D2 isnt introduced by his name to Obi-Wan (though once finding C3PO you'd reckon he'd guess its R2D2), as Luke was just calling it the 'little droid' - unless you count R2D2 itself chirping an introduction to Obi-Wan upon first contact.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #57513 by
I always saw Obi-Wan's failure to recall owning droids as his way of saying they were friends, not property. Or does that sound too Disney to everyone?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 11 months ago #57522 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: EPISODE II-C3PO
possibility: Lucas is not very good at writing cohesive scripts. Let's be honest he likes to revisit his past decisions, first padme was a queen, then an ambassador, then leia remembers her except she died during childbirth, anakin skywalker is a damn jedi master sitting on the council who just buys into some lame story that he has to join the dark side to save padme because of a vision of her not being dead he had? Give me a break.

Han shot first? No Han shot, greedo didn't.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi