Is Lord Vader accountable for his actions Morally?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 days ago #279005 by
Something I have often wondered... is Lord Vader actually accountable morally for his actions? He was a young man who actually stated out doing the right things as a jedi Knight, But was mislead by the Emperor. I actually submit he is NOT accountable for his actions as he has simply forgotten who he was as a result of being manipulated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 days ago #279006 by
Lord Vader would be accountable for his actions, no matter if he was being manipulated. Every man makes his own decisions. He slaughtered the Sand People out of anger and the selfish desire to get his mother out of there, rather than leaving in peace, knowing his mother had become one with the Force and therefore would always be there with him. He made bad decision from the start, such as marrying Padme.

One can argue that the cinematic Jedi should've allowed marriage, but they did not and he knew that. It caused undo stress and led him down a dark path to keep this secret. He made this decision knowing what would come of it. He went against the Order. It is a slow decent, but a decent nonetheless. This eventually ended up being the crux of his pain as it led him to the darkest of paths all for the sake of someone he should have never allowed himself to love. If he could not control his actions around her then she is a poison to him and he should have separated himself from her.

So yes, he was accountable. He made his bed, and he got to sleep in it.

Perhaps there was hope for him, and in the end we see this, but he was his own man and no one forced him to do anything.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 days ago #279014 by
Agree totally, Anakin knew what he was doing from the start, he always had a certain arrogance that he could accomplish more than the Order and chose to go down his own path in more ways than just Padme and his marriage. Yoda was right about him in his initial assessment 'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.' ... The order were right, he should not have been trained... It was certainly not helped by the Clone war and the fact that Jedi became warriors, not peace keepers... Barriss Offee was also right... Sad really...

(Note: As you can see from my profile, I'm an Anakin fan... :-) )

More
7 years 4 days ago #279016 by JamesSand
The same way we are all accountable for our decisions, even if we "may not have made them if we had all the facts" or they only "seemed like a good idea at the time"

They might be mitigating factors in judgment, but the responsibility is still there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, J. K. Barger,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #279852 by
Suppose you are all correct, now that you mention it..... Lord vader would be accountable for these actions. Still I must admit to something of a "Soft spot" for this rather tragic Fictional person... He did seem to mean well....

More
6 years 11 months ago #279854 by Adder
To be honest, in the movies it looks like he was taught pretty much nothing except to keep his mouth shut, keep things bottled up, and swing a saber......... either he was taught nothing, or he learnt nothing.

So I see your point, if because of his prior experiences as a child slave he was unable to be jolted out of his childhood worldview then ultimately the Jedi have a lot to answer for in allowing him get so qualified, and indeed in a position of so much power to be abused. But I don't think the young Anakin as acted was so damaged, so I'd have to assume what he experienced during the Clone Wars must have fueled an inability to have a more appropriate attachment to his Mother, such that her brutal end should not have caused his fall. Still, at the end of the day his actions were his own no matter the subterfuge involved, as that doesn't pardon him but rather just additionally makes those who aided or abetted culpable. Blame need not be transferred, when it is more accurate for it to be shared.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #279856 by
On Vader, Anakin will still be the Jedi that destroys the Sith. Maybe the will is hard to accept sometimes but if you're going to talk about it so comfortably when things are beautiful , you have to be ready to talk about it when things get ugly. If you're going to relate Anakins plunge into darkness to your own life , and see how it was secrets, hatred and anger that lead little Ani to darkness. His crush on Padme , his hatred for slavery, and his feelings of inadequcies for not saving his mother. You'll see he wasn't punished for his actions, but by his actions. A noble truth the Buddhists have also observed.
But because the force had willed him to be born a slave, to have been introduced to Padme, and to have had his bound Mother die in his arms, we are allowed to govern our own part of the force , and Ani governed his down the dark path. What the sith don't tell you is that passion can be corrosive, and the thirst for power is unquenchable.

More
6 years 11 months ago #279858 by Archon
This seems like a matter of point of view.

You do not understand the perspective of the antagonist until you understand how he or she views the world as the protagonist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger,

More
6 years 11 months ago #279862 by Manu

Brother Barbarian wrote: Something I have often wondered... is Lord Vader actually accountable morally for his actions? He was a young man who actually stated out doing the right things as a jedi Knight, But was mislead by the Emperor. I actually submit he is NOT accountable for his actions as he has simply forgotten who he was as a result of being manipulated.

He is not accountable, given that he is a fictional character. It's Lucas' fault. :laugh:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger,

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #279863 by OB1Shinobi

Archon wrote: This seems like a matter of point of view.

You do not understand the perspective of the antagonist until you understand how he or she views the world as the protagonist.

this is true as a matter of fact so long as people dont confuse "understand" with "excuse"

it is definitely helpful to understand ted bundy and how he viewed the world, rather than ONLY judge and condemn him as a sexual predator and a murderer

sure, he was the protagonist from within his own frame if reference, but that his frame if reference was one which allowed him to be a sexual predator and a murderer, so even though we understand him, that doesng mean that we excuse his behavior or talk about it as if it werent the right thing to do to capture him and keep him in prison

or as if his frame of referrence was equally valid to those of us who are not sexual predator/murderers

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi