How we remember A New Hope vs. what it's actually like

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221787 by Brick
Funny how we remember things

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Manu, Ben and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221837 by
Yes , why did not Chewie get a medal ??

More
8 years 2 months ago #221838 by Brick

MartaLina wrote: Yes , why did not Chewie get a medal ??

No idea Marta, makes me very upset :(

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221865 by

If I remember right it was a production thing. Either the cost was too much to make a third or there was some trouble with the medal and the costume. I think that they explained it later in the fiction as Chewie viewing his actions as continuing to pay his life debt to Han, not something worthy of medals or recognition of any sort. I might be totally wrong though.

More
8 years 2 months ago #221867 by steamboat28

Goken wrote:

If I remember right it was a production thing. Either the cost was too much to make a third or there was some trouble with the medal and the costume. I think that they explained it later in the fiction as Chewie viewing his actions as continuing to pay his life debt to Han, not something worthy of medals or recognition of any sort. I might be totally wrong though.

I read somewhere that a new comic shows him giving it to someone, which is why we never see it again. As for where it was during the ceremony, the fiction is still silent.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221870 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Goken wrote:

I read somewhere that a new comic shows him giving it to someone, which is why we never see it again. As for where it was during the ceremony, the fiction is still silent.

Oh yeah! I can't believe I didn't remember that. It only came out a few weeks ago. Chewie crash lands on a planet and then helps a kid free a bunch of slaves there then gives it to the kid before leaving. It was a pretty good story.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221896 by
I love how Luke is like "You mean the crazy old hermit who lives in the desert by himself? Sure, I'll believe everything he tells me and join his crackpot religion I know nothing about because he has a cool laser sword that supposedly belonged to my dad. Let's get on a ship full of criminals to help him deliver a robot to some chick I've never heard of." :huh:

And then a PRINCESS is like "oh hey strangers who have never ever been a part of our rebellion. I was gonna wait for the republic to rescue me, but since you know the last remaining and now retirement aged Jedi Ben Kenobi, I guess I should take your word for it and lead you into the garbage shoot so I can get on your crappy criminal ship that may or may not escape the tractor beam of the giant weapon that recently murdered my entire planet." :dry:

And medals are for white guys, not angry space bears... :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221903 by
I always explained it like "the medal was for the crew of the Millennium Falcon, what were they gonna do, string it around both of their necks?"

Personally, I think R2 should have gotten one. He got freakin FRIED during the whole thing. The racism against droids in the films is simply APPALLING.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221915 by
I keep it simple.

Chewy was essentially naked.

So there would have to pin it to him(as opposed to on him.), or on that utility belt, but I try to keep in mind that chewy was naked, and that apparenly Wookies breed asexually, as no Wookie seemed anatomically correct.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago #221921 by Adder
Timely topic title. My critical eye over Ep VII (in the absence of other context around it) to understand it, has actually made re-thinking about Ep IV more interesting - looking at it in a new light!! Not quite like the comic strip though..

Chewie already sold his medal before he got it I reckon, he's just so way ahead of the curve in profiteering!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi