Inspired by Star Wars

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133534 by
Inspired by Star Wars was created by
I thought I'd start a new thread about all the new technologies that are or seemingly inspired by the most visionary epic of our time. This first item is a new oxygen rebreather that I believe was inspired by that used by Obi Wan and Qui Gon in the Phantom Menace. Way cool!

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread992866/pg1?utm_content=bufferc332a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #133539 by Wescli Wardest
That is incredibly interesting.

I wonder if it has undergone trials and been tested?
If it does work, to what depth could it be used before water pressure overwhelms the membrane?
What are the time limits for filter function before the membrane is “clogged”? (saturation of impurities in the water blocking pores in membrane)

I don’t doubt that technology will exist one day that I cannot even begin to fathom how it works. And I hope I get to live to see it and its use. =D Whether people realize it or not, science fiction has been the Oracle of technology. Sometimes it is amazing, marvelous and awe inspiring! Other times it can be downright scary! =P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 3 months ago #133561 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Inspired by Star Wars
I tried designing something with the same principle when I was a teenager, but I couldn't get past a certain design flaw that would've required blood-interface. Mostly because I'm not a proper scientist.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133563 by
Replied by on topic Inspired by Star Wars
Uhmmm.....

:whistle:
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by . Reason: changed link to inserted picture

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133572 by
Wow, that's interesting...

I wonder if I ever try it :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133579 by
How about the most coveted of all Star Wars technology, the light saber? Check out this link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/physicists-one-step-closer-to-creating-real-life-lightsabers/

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133580 by
LOL

Axiom Eleven wrote: Uhmmm.....

:whistle:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133581 by
I think because you would then be breathing pure oxygen rather than normal air, which is mostly nitrogen, it would only be good in shallow waters. Anything deeper than 200 ft would induce oxygen toxicity.

Wescli Wardest wrote: That is incredibly interesting.

I wonder if it has undergone trials and been tested?
If it does work, to what depth could it be used before water pressure overwhelms the membrane?
What are the time limits for filter function before the membrane is “clogged”? (saturation of impurities in the water blocking pores in membrane)

I don’t doubt that technology will exist one day that I cannot even begin to fathom how it works. And I hope I get to live to see it and its use. =D Whether people realize it or not, science fiction has been the Oracle of technology. Sometimes it is amazing, marvelous and awe inspiring! Other times it can be downright scary! =P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133586 by
I think the point is....

I WANT ONE!!!!!! :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133711 by
By being first on the scene Star Trek tends to get more kudos for inspiring technology. Now if Disney can come up with something no one ever conceived of before, that might change.
http://mashable.com/2013/10/11/star-trek-technology/

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi