The Force: "It Surrounds Us. It Penetrates Us. It Binds the Galaxy Together."

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #101806 by

This has clearly been one of my most favorite scenes from any of the Star Wars movies, and I'm sure many of you would agree as well.

However, have any of you ever realized this - something very peculiar and questionable about this scene?

Obi-Wan describes the Force: "It Surrounds Us. It Penetrates Us. It Binds the Galaxy Together."

Aren't these words very aggressive and malicious words? To surround. To Penetrate. To Bind.

I just realized this when I was re-watching the scene recently. I was so engrossed in its pure awesomeness that I never before dissected it. Then I thought...."Wait a minute, Is it me, or do these words sound awfully evil?

Do you think this was an intentional decision by George Lucas?
Or an unseen connotation?

Thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #101808 by
Going with unseen connotation/ script . I don't think that lucas put that much ... depth...into a line from obi wan, a jedi, to another jedi.

I'm not beinng clear, its late and I'm very tired. But to recap, I think its an unseen connotation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 11 months ago #101809 by RyuJin
Air surrounds us, it penetrates us and has no maliciousness, or aggressiveness to it...

Mitochondria surround us, penetrate us, binds us, again with no maliciousness nor aggressiveness....simply symbiotic....

I think in the sense obi wan used it in was to present it in a loving embrace sort of way....

One sees or hears what one wants at a particular time...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
10 years 11 months ago #101810 by Adder
Interesting questions!! Bouncing off my last post in another thread, it could be to cover different modes of thinking to express the message to a broader audience; Extroversive intepretation (surrounded) for extroverts, introversis interpretation (penetrated) for introverts, sythesis (binds everything) as neutral analysis.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #101832 by

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #101842 by
I think it was obi wan trying to simplify it for somebody who had no idea what the jedi or the force was. One theme I see at TOTJO is the question, we does the force end and we begin? we are one with the force, I think Obi wan was giving a simile like it is similar to it penetrating and surrounding us.

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
10 years 11 months ago #101845 by Whyte Horse
I think you're reading too much into being penetrated by force. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi