light saber: Art and Design

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #83740 by
Replied by on topic Re: light saber: Art and Design
Also the fact that all of you have come up with the reasons that it wouldn't work(which of course isn't true) is a perfect type of proof that I haven't discussed used anyone else's ideas to come up with this.

Would you rather I had affairs with republic senators and play computer games rather than quite obviously having my finger on the pulse about these things?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #83746 by Wescli Wardest
I don’t think that anyone said “it won’t work.” As with any new thing, there are always details and obstacles to overcome. ;)

I pointed out one of the concerns I would have with anything that relied on a device to reflect, contain or bounce back a beam. But that does not mean that I do not think that it could be possible at some point. Who knows, perhaps one of the first prototypes will resemble that very concept drawing?

One of the things I like about the Laser Plasma Emission technology is that it can create a beam which does not require a containment device. And it does have destructive qualities which could be altered to create similar effect as seen in the movies (given research leads it in that direction). Right now though, I do not know of any portable power source capable of sustaining any high energy output for any length of time.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #83748 by

Jackofalltrades wrote: Ok, then. If lightsabers already exist. And the force is real. What exactly about the star wars films is fictional?

I don't recall anyone claiming it was.

I made this idea up myself in 2005 without the uses of computer games, actually.

In fact, copy right laws state that No-one is able to steal my idea, even if they produce it first. In a sci fi compute game, lol.

That's great. If you had the copyright on that first, you control it. Especially if you filed your copyright before they started their concept work. Now all you have to do is take it up with them.

Would you rather I had affairs with republic senators and play computer games rather than quite obviously having my finger on the pulse about these things?

this seems like a pretty passive aggressive statement. Think very highly of this much?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #83756 by

Andy Spalding wrote:

Jackofalltrades wrote: Ok, then. If lightsabers already exist. And the force is real. What exactly about the star wars films is fictional?

I don't recall anyone claiming it was.

I made this idea up myself in 2005 without the uses of computer games, actually.

In fact, copy right laws state that No-one is able to steal my idea, even if they produce it first. In a sci fi compute game, lol.

That's great. If you had the copyright on that first, you control it. Especially if you filed your copyright before they started their concept work. Now all you have to do is take it up with them.

this seems like a pretty passive aggressive statement. Think very highly of this much?

Yes, that copyright for that exact picture is mine. I have never seen anything like it until you posted your computer games cartoon image. I have to take it take it up with who exactly? I don't think your really right about that, there are many other things that I have to do. Just to do this thing that is rather a small project, but is my life, Considering I am registered Jedi on the UK census.

That's not a statement, it's a question. not all questions are discised statements you know. Plus I know nothing about passive aggressive statemenets. Who exactly are you asking how very highly they think of it?

George Lucas call it fiction, and so many others. So take it up with them :)
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #83758 by
Uh... Good Luck with your endeavors! It would rock to have a lightsaber.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #83760 by
Haha, yeah, id have the most efficient landscaping tool and could revolutionize the market.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #83770 by

Khaos wrote: Haha, yeah, id have the most efficient landscaping tool and could revolutionize the market.

Just use ploughshares Khaos, that's all that you're good at ;)

Anyone got some ploughshare shaped Lightsabers for Khaos? :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #83773 by
Well as a weapon I see little use...as a breaching tool possibly. However taking a lasersword to a gunfight isn't much better than taking a metal one. As a last resort...better than nothing.

I mean, the force may be real, and lightsabers...but I don't think youll be able to deflect bullets.

I'm willing to help y 'all test it out though.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #83774 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: One of the things that would concern me with any design that uses a reflective surface propped at the end of the “blade” is deflection due to centrifugal force when in use. What I mean is that once it is swung the arm will flex and all the minute adjustments which held the beam in place would be rendered mute at that point… possibly sending the beam back at the wielders hand. Even if one were to build the rod for the reflective device along the center axis with the reflective device bouncing the beam all around it, any time it was swung there would be varying degrees of deflection.

This is one reason I think that the Laser Plasma Emission Technology could be the predominate precursor to Light-Saber technology. And if the beam is capable of knocking electrons off atoms in points in space, given enough development, it could knock apart the atoms of anything that crossed the emission stream. Further development will decide its overall capabilities though, not me! ;)

The real test at this point, as I see it, is what power source we would use. So far, the most “bang for the buck” comes from colliding anti-mater with mater. But we are currently very inefficient at producing anti-matter in any useable quantity. But scientist theorize that there is an amazing amount of it that naturally occurs in the universe… so how would we collect it and store it?

This may not be something that occurs in any of our lifetimes… but I think that it is fun to speculate about! ;)

What makes you so sure that it will actually produced? And what would we use it for? Would we hear about it's use? If you're not going to produce it. Then who is? I don't know anything about anti matter or plasma, those are quite new discoveries. Are you an expert on them Wescli?

As something I learnt and was fanatical about a long time ago, I can tell you that laser is an Anagram. Light Amplification by stimulated Emission of Radiation. Which is why it is not LasAr; with an A. Hell even my spell check is showing that up! :P

To be honest, I think we're all being lied to. The fact is that my first ever post on this forum told you the fact that every single government uses the hugest proportion of their budget on war. And for war you need technology, technology that is ingenious but not the newest thing on the market, Like a lightsaber. Take for example the valve system Sound amplifier. That's old technology. But it has been developed to an unbelievably fine level becuasse governments need radio systems that will not be taken out by EMP, Electro Magnetic pulse.

So there you go, it's all real. And we're all dying soon.

Also Father Christmas is real.

P.S. there is such a thing as monsters.

Bye now. /me slips out of the room and comes back in and everybody is laughing.

More
11 years 4 months ago #83776 by Wescli Wardest
What makes me so sure it would be produced? Well, I’m certain that there is someone out there with the resource and desire. I’m willing to bet that the only thing stopping it from happening right now is the technological barrier we have yet to overcome.

Am I an expert on plasma or antimatter? Nope! :P I do have an engineering degree and I’ve studied theoretical physics, off and on, for the last twenty years; but, I am by no means an expert! I just find it interesting. ;)

And I make a lot of spelling mistakes… especially when I do not use MSword or something to check what I write first. I could blame the keyboard (stupid thing) or my dyslexia, but I bet it has to do with the fact that I have never been good at spelling! :P

Hahahahhahha :D

Monastic Order of Knights

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi