A big ball of timey-wimey?

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 11 months ago #105932 by Jestor

For Jestor, there is perhaps an easy way of thinking about space-time and what that means...

What is 'time'? Why is there yesterday and why is there tomorrow? One simple explanation is that time is a sequence of events that have occurred...

Yesterday something happened and then something else happened and something else and so on... those things have happened and now this (my writing) is happening...

The future will be what occurs after lots of other events

What we call time is a way position events in relation to each other. This happened then this happened then this happened etc... and we apply dates or 'time words' to them such as 2012, 2013, yesterday, an hour ago etc...

OK...

Time...

We talk about living in the now, that the past is a memory, and the future is but a dream...

I understand "time", im not daft, but, in the "cosmic sense", I cant see where it exists....

I only brought this one comment over here, but ren said something like, "well, I exist, and space and time are greater than me"....

OK, show me time...

So far, all I've got is it is a way to measure the "now"...

In your example Akkarin, I can't hold the past, or future, so really, they are simply a man-made way to track the "now"?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #105934 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic A big ball of timey-wimey?
At a Quantum level I've read that time is a measure of the angular momentum, and that it relates to electric charge with negative being some net direction backwards and positive being forwards. I prefer to think of it as the drag on energy which turns it into matter by being the entangled with other energy. Space is probably the illusion of no data that lies between whatever geometry you use to determine the nature of matter.

:S :unsure: :) :(

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #105944 by
Replied by on topic A big ball of timey-wimey?
I remember the discussion but can you post a link? I never keep track of where stuff is discussed :P

More
10 years 11 months ago #105953 by Whyte Horse
Well you know time doesn't really exist. It's just a human construct... a thought, if you will. We all experience something like time. We all experience time differently. But to say it is something more than an experience is just us constructing things, imaginary things.

Some people like to imagine a line with time on it with the future to the right and the past to the left. These people tend to freak out when shown that the future meets the past when a straight line is put in a curved space.

My favorite time paradox is the one where you fly out into space faster than light and after you travel far enough, you arrive at the big bang.

Scientists like to use random emissions from atomic nuclei to define time. OK whatever...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #105982 by
i oversimplified this to my son this weekend when he asked about the 'tears' in the spacetime continuum that elizabeth was tearing in bioshock infinite (and before you ask, no, he was not allowed to watch much of it,if you know what i mean). and i specifically used the term space-time because they are related. iexplained that because there is a fixed and measurable speed at which anything in the universe can travel (taht we know of right now), and that being the speed of light, both distance and time can be measured in that quantity: light minute, light day, light year, so on.

so when elizabeth was tearing these holes in the space time continuum to another location, she was also travelling through time by moving instantaeously from one point to another, not bound by the speed of light constraints. this mechanism, i believe, is how the game also explained the interdimensional travel somewhat to different versions of the same locations.

i think.

edit: that game is confusing as hell.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by . Reason: game comment

More
10 years 11 months ago #106068 by Llama Su
Replied by Llama Su on topic A big ball of timey-wimey?
4th dimension is time.... although I have not studied this as much as I could...
or to some thinkers T.I.M.E. is truth I master equally...
although I tend to agree with whyte horse here...too..

to ponder perhaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Here_Now_(book)

or

John 7:6

funny too because in numerology 7 and 6 make 13 which in turn makes 4

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #106071 by
I tend to agree with both Jestor and whyte horse in this conundrum. Time is a man made construct, much as math, or science is. Time is simply a period that we have applied value to. It is a way to judge from how long, or how far it has been to or from the now. The now is essentially the only "time" that truly exists, with everything else being a measure of the distance from the now.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 11 months ago #106082 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic A big ball of timey-wimey?
Yes, I realize it...

But, I am testing to see if I am wrong...;)

Many of you seem more educated than myself, I have plenty of life experience, but little schooling...

+++++++++++++++
Akkarin-

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jediism/103576-so-space-was-born-how?limitstart=0

+++++++++++++

Ren wrote:

Jestor wrote: We keep hearing time doesnt really exist, there is only the eternal now, and that the past is a memory, and the future is a dream, so ok, that kinda removed time... And, I agree with this logic...

I don't know exactly what is meant by this... However I wouldn't call time or space "nothing". I'm not nothing and time and pace are greater than I. therefore they're not nothing.

Ren wrote:

There is only the eternal now, right?

That's what I'm not sure about. I can read it as "now is forever", meaning that every moment past and future is "now". that outside time, they all exist alongside each other.

Are you defining yourself by your past?

Are you able to realize that although your past helped to shape you, it did so when it was the 'now'? or, when you look at a situation, 'now' and consider how it played out?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #106087 by
Speaking of the "past", this forum looks just like my kitchen from WAY back in the seventies, different color scheme please!

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 9 months ago #113929 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic A big ball of timey-wimey?

This movie made me think about this thread, and inspired those songs in that other thread...:lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Wescli Wardest, Brenna

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi