Sunlight and Sound

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #94498 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
It doesn't matter. It makes no difference to me what is a sound wave made of, or how much a particle of sunlight weighs. When I listen to music, it doesn't matter how am I hearing it - but I can womder at it's beauty, harmony and interpretation. The same is with the weight of a sun particle: I don't need to know anything about it, but when I feel sun's warmth and light on my body I feel genuinely happy. Science can give us the ultimate truth, but only the ultimate truth.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #94501 by

Kalkho wrote: It doesn't matter. It makes no difference to me what is a sound wave made of, or how much a particle of sunlight weighs. When I listen to music, it doesn't matter how am I hearing it - but I can womder at it's beauty, harmony and interpretation. The same is with the weight of a sun particle: I don't need to know anything about it, but when I feel sun's warmth and light on my body I feel genuinely happy. Science can give us the ultimate truth, but only the ultimate truth.

Great post.

I don't think we can find the ultimate truth. The is so much beyond us we are incapable of know ultimate anything.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #94502 by

Akkarin wrote:

Rickie The Grey wrote: Use terms of wonder and not science.

In fairness the words behind the explanation are both ;)

I'm not understanding this? Help me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #94510 by
Is the explanation not wonderful when given?

Warning: Spoiler!

More
11 years 1 month ago #94512 by Wescli Wardest
How many times have we personally tried to look at scientific matters from a philosophical stand point?

In the days of Antiquity, the great thinkers were trained in philosophy before mathematics or science. I feel this is what helped them to understand the universe in the unique way which helped them “crack”, or present solutions, that are still in use today.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #94513 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: How many times have we personally tried to look at scientific matters from a philosophical stand point?

In the days of Antiquity, the great thinkers were trained in philosophy before mathematics or science. I feel this is what helped them to understand the universe in the unique way which helped them “crack”, or present solutions, that are still in use today.

Now we're getting somewhere. Great post.

More
11 years 1 month ago #94530 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
Ultimate truths are not to be found through the scientific method, because falsification is its way and that way only helps discovering wrong ideas, not true ones. There are black swans, so not all are white. Nothing tells us there are no green ones.

Philosophy as a means to seek for truth? Perhaps in the past so. Today philosophy is more a thing of comparing the ideas the very same past brought to us and see how much we do or do not agree with, respectively. Sadly there is little philosophy practice today that would actually help find some wisdom for life. The only truths we find are those we intentionally choose to accept as such.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
11 years 1 month ago #94543 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
Here is a short interesting video on philosophical functionalism ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iBwptVCL-A

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
11 years 1 month ago #94559 by Wescli Wardest

science and maths were not separate from philosophy as they are today and it is no earlier than at the rise of science way after the Middle Ages, that a separation into the disciplines we know today could be made. Astronomy and physics before were studied by the very same people who taught philology, history, ontology and theology and all of it was equally science until the rise of empirism.

This is true. And I think the point I was trying to get to, but seemed to have failed at, is that they went together. Today, it seems that we are taught philosophy after we learn the basics of science and mathematics... and some never delve much into it at all. But in the day of Antiquity There was a blending of all schools of thought. We seem to toss aside the philosophical of nature and attempt to answer all question via empirical data.

One thing I use to illustrate this point is... who can show me the number two? Not two somethings or a symbol which represents the number, but the number. It is a representation of a concept. To the philosophical thinker, this doesn't "make sense", it is sense. And an idea like that isn't questioned because I can't prove the number two.

This way of thinking seems to be lost to some extent today. Yes there are those that still view the universe through the eyes of a dreamer; but not many.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi