Nature of "the Force" (Light/Dark dicotomy)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #83167 by
@ Cronal-That's personal interpretation, and you're entitled to it.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #83182 by
I've just come across Gray Jedi in the "mythology" (what should I call it?) -even Qui-Gon was accused of being one due to his opposition to the Jedi council. I wonder if this is where the Jedi academy get their shadow path/council from

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 3 months ago #83215 by RyuJin
The force is energy....energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only change form....

Many confuse the shadows with greys... the greys are exactly that...they don't see either light or dark as a desired path for balance ....the shadows were lightsiders trained to hunt down and eliminate fallen jedi...at least according to the fiction..(I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've read up on it)

Look in the totjo library and read the descriptions in the great jedi holocron ;)

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #83222 by

RyuJin wrote: The force is energy....energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only change form....

To piggy back off of RyuJin stated, one can say the force is also the building blocks for matter. (See E=mc2). So therefore, the statement Obi-Wan Kenobi makes in ANH, "It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."
You could even generalize it a bit more and say that the force is an energy field created by all things. :)

And even on top of that Quantum physicists are noticing that matter (or parts of matter) seem to pop in and out of existence without (noticeable) precedence. My point being that Energy also pops in and out of existence (not necessarily destroyed; it just goes someplace else that we don't know about.):blink:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 3 months ago #83225 by RyuJin
And there's the exchange of energy between living things and mitochondria at the cellular level....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #83432 by
This may have been mentioned but I view it as a source of karma too. That the energy that the Force creates for us reflects the energy we put into it. If we put in darkness, we receive darkness...if we put in light we receive light. The Force itself is neutral but will reflect back what it is given. Just my two cents on that :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #106881 by

Iron Wings wrote: I've just come across Gray Jedi in the "mythology" (what should I call it?) -even Qui-Gon was accused of being one due to his opposition to the Jedi council. I wonder if this is where the Jedi academy get their shadow path/council from

Sadly this is where Star Wars canon started suffering from re-write after re-write as to what Grey Jedi or even Dark Jedi meant. In its original or 'classical' meaning 'Grey Jedi' meant a Jedi of the Order that did not follow the High Council or strictly follow otherwise Orthodox Jedi values. By the time of KotOR however this was rewritten to mean a Jedi who had possibly left the Order and was somehow able to harness both Light and Darkside energies.
By 'classical' definition a 'Dark Jedi' could be a Jedi who had simply left the Order either voluntarily or been expelled but not necessarily one that followed the Dark Side. The 'dark' in the 'Dark Jedi' title simply representing their complete seperation from the Order and the High Council. It was only later on that the term 'Dark Jedi' took on a purely Dark Side using, evil Jedi meaning.

With regards to the Force, the Force i feel is very much like the Tao and the symbol known typically as the 'Yin-Yang' symbol describes the Force perfectly. The Force is essentially THE FORCE. But the Force is made of two opposing yet complementary energies. You cannot have light without dark and vice-versa. Without one the other has no meaning.
A comparison i typically use in the Star Wars online roleplaying community i am a part of is to take the colour purple. It is after all a single colour but we of course know that is is made of two different colours, blue and red. It is through either calm, peaceful communion or the use of raw emotion and passion that either one of these sides or colours can then be distinguished and as such felt and communed with.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #106884 by

Azrael wrote:

Iron Wings wrote: I've just come across Gray Jedi in the "mythology" (what should I call it?) -even Qui-Gon was accused of being one due to his opposition to the Jedi council. I wonder if this is where the Jedi academy get their shadow path/council from

Sadly this is where Star Wars canon started suffering from re-write after re-write as to what Grey Jedi or even Dark Jedi meant. In its original or 'classical' meaning 'Grey Jedi' meant a Jedi of the Order that did not follow the High Council or strictly follow otherwise Orthodox Jedi values.

Calling the fiction from Star Wars "cannon" is the biggest problem with Jediism today, too many fans, and not enough Jedi...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #106888 by

Zenchi wrote:

Azrael wrote:

Sadly this is where Star Wars canon started suffering from re-write after re-write as to what Grey Jedi or even Dark Jedi meant. In its original or 'classical' meaning 'Grey Jedi' meant a Jedi of the Order that did not follow the High Council or strictly follow otherwise Orthodox Jedi values.

Calling the fiction from Star Wars "cannon" is the biggest problem with Jediism today, too many fans, and not enough Jedi...

When talking of canon i was refering to canon relating to Star Wars as created by George Lucas, not canon relating to Jediism. Apologies if this wasn't made clear initially.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #106892 by

Azrael wrote:

Iron Wings wrote: With regards to the Force, the Force i feel is very much like the Tao and the symbol known typically as the 'Yin-Yang' symbol describes the Force perfectly. The Force is essentially THE FORCE. But the Force is made of two opposing yet complementary energies. You cannot have light without dark and vice-versa. Without one the other has no meaning.

First off, I loved what you said about the Force in your post Azrael and I agree with you that the Force is like the Tao and it reminded me of a passage in the Tao Te Ching.

Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty only because there is ugliness.
All can know good as good only because there is evil.

Therefore having and not having arise together.
Difficult and easy complement each other.
Long and short contrast each other:
High and low rest upon each other;
Voice and sound harmonize each other;
Front and back follow one another.

Therefore the sage goes about doing nothing, teaching no-talking.
The ten thousand things rise and fall without cease,
Creating, yet not.
Working, yet not taking credit.
Work is done, then forgotten.
Therefore it lasts forever.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi