Replied by Gisteron on topic Understanding "Wisdom"

oblivion blockade wrote: experience Plus time plus knowledge equals wisdom

Just did the math. Didn't work out.
:silly:

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #223563 by Lykeios Little Raven

Proteus wrote: What do you believe about the nature of "Wisdom"?

Wisdom is a quality that cannot be actively sought with any amount of success. It "claims us," as you have stated, when we stop seeking it. Letting go of the search for wisdom is something I've tried to master. It's not too difficult to fake wisdom, but once reached is difficult to keep hold of, and grasping too hard can cause it to slip away.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223575 by
Replied by on topic Understanding "Wisdom"
Philosophers may distinguish different kinds of knowledge, that is, knowledge specific to a particular object. Experience is a kind of knowledge and there is the knowledge we have of particular activities, but even advanced knowledge of electrical wiring, writing or international travel is not considered wisdom. Wisdom does not seem to be cumulative. There is no threshold one crosses from just being really smart, or experienced, to being wise.

There is also, according to Aristotle, a practical wisdom of knowing how best to live in the world. Best as virtuous, and Aristotle thinks the best way to live in the world is as a philosopher. Philosophy means the love of wisdom. On the other hand, if the object of study is ideas, this is a different kind of knowing. This kind of knowledge is often associated with wisdom. Wisdom seems to have more to do with both a particular kind of knowledge, as well as, a way of knowing. Which leads to the philosophical question: How would one recognize wisdom unless one were already wise?

More
8 years 2 months ago #223586 by Carlos.Martinez3

Alan wrote: Philosophers may distinguish different kinds of knowledge, that is, knowledge specific to a particular object. Experience is a kind of knowledge and there is the knowledge we have of particular activities, but even advanced knowledge of electrical wiring, writing or international travel is not considered wisdom. Wisdom does not seem to be cumulative. There is no threshold one crosses from just being really smart, or experienced, to being wise.

There is also, according to Aristotle, a practical wisdom of knowing how best to live in the world. Best as virtuous, and Aristotle thinks the best way to live in the world is as a philosopher. Philosophy means the love of wisdom. On the other hand, if the object of study is ideas, this is a different kind of knowing. This kind of knowledge is often associated with wisdom. Wisdom seems to have more to do with both a particular kind of knowledge, as well as, a way of knowing. Which leads to the philosophical question: How would one recognize wisdom unless one were already wise?

I concur. I would choose the way of a philosopher to see some things, Same way as I would choose to see things from different points of view. lol being Jedi and all !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #227368 by
I always imaged Wisdom to the ability to use knowledge at the right time in the right context. Like worldly wisdom than would be knowledge of worldly things, with the ability to use them at the right moment. Wisdom in the matters of the heart are then maybe the ability to use ones knowledge of these emotions at the right time and place provided that one is honest about these of course? Wisdom also relies on the choice you make , it can be wise to run away from things , it can be wise to meet them head on. But if a problem presents itself , you can turn it into a problem or a challenge. Every time I think I am closer to becoming a little wiser I discover a lot more things that are not that wise tho ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281519 by
Wisdom said to Nothingness
You surely must be mine
Trouble came when Nothingness said nothing
And Wisdom fell back in line

Her fall broke her into three pieces
The second greater than the third
Yet both desired Wisdom
Whom knew nothing of their words

And once again a tremble
Found later from the dust
Still Nothingness does nothing
From the depths to calm the lust

In cycling oscillation
The "lesser" seeks the "great"
But Nothingness is no greater
Having nothing as a trait

Without Nothingness there is nothing
For which anything could strive
The more "lessers" seeking "greaters"
The more "lessers" will arise

As Wisdom is a circle
Each point knowing its own name
Nothingness is pointless
At which nothing can be aimed

;P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281526 by
Misused the word "whom" there, dang it.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281529 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Understanding "Wisdom"
i dont claim to be wise, but i do admit to being opinionated, so heres my opinion :D

MartaLina wrote: I always imaged Wisdom to the ability to use knowledge at the right time in the right context. Like worldly wisdom than would be knowledge of worldly things, with the ability to use them at the right moment. Wisdom in the matters of the heart are then maybe the ability to use ones knowledge of these emotions at the right time and place provided that one is honest about these of course? Wisdom also relies on the choice you make , it can be wise to run away from things , it can be wise to meet them head on. But if a problem presents itself , you can turn it into a problem or a challenge. Every time I think I am closer to becoming a little wiser I discover a lot more things that are not that wise tho ...

(((YOU!!)))
i think this post was very wise :-)

my understanding of real life wisdom:

to accurately understand yourself- to know the reality of your own character. know your capabilites, flaws, and limitations. clearly knowing your own personal values and principles

to understand the people around you:
recognize their capabilities, motivations, desires, intentions, and fears. recognize their deceptions, self deceptions, flaws and foolishness. but also recognize their strengths, their ambitions, the courage and virtues they possess. insight into people and into the "positives" and "negatives" of their characters

understanding situations and interactions between people. being able to predict outcomes in a wide variety of situations

consistently acting in ways that reflect your stated principles and that effectively produce the outcomes that you want to achieve (outcomes which are also consistent with your principles).

the first half of wisdom is in how well you understand people, including yourself, and the second half is in how well you behave: how deliberate (well considered and congruent with your ideals) your behavior is, and how appropriate it is to achieving the desired outcome. but it also has to do with what kinds of outcomes you desire and how well you understand the effects they will have in the long run

good reason to know your own values and principles, because outomes and consequencez always have an an element of unpredictability so if you stick with your principles then youll usually make a decision that you dont have to be ahsamed of, even if in retrospect it turns out to not have been the most strategic decision

also, wisdom is knowing when and being able to let go

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281910 by
Happy translating.. :blush:

L'extrême limite de la sagesse, voilà ce que le public baptise folie.
J. Cocteau, Le rappel à l'ordre (1926)

Le plus sage est celui qui ne pense point l'être.
N. Boileau-Despréaux, Satires (1666)

On hasarde de perdre en voulant trop gagner.
J. de La Fontaine, Fables (1668)

La faiblesse humaine est d'avoir/ Des curiosités d'apprendre/ Ce qu'on ne voudraid pas savoir.
Molière, Amphitryon (1668)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi