Free Thought or Dogma?

More
8 years 11 months ago #191633 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Free Thought or Dogma?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Kit, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191944 by
Replied by on topic Free Thought or Dogma?
Thanks everyone for your posts!

The reason why I haven't responded sooner is because I was reading through your comments and I want to avoid seeming like a prude I really love how this community is so caring, sharing and honest. If you want to be a Jedi then that is an admirable trait and something which isn't bad it's in fact commendable. Inspiration comes from many places stories told around camp fires the human tribe has a good imagination and entertainment or culture influences every aspect of our lives.

For a long time I had lost my moral compass I was scared, alone and confused this site TOTJO has been a refreshing reboot of my childhood purity and idealism. I also don't want to create enemies on here by being rude or inappropriate because I care deeply about your views and who you are as people.

Jediism is an idea and it has humble origins.

Thanks for your time.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago #192062 by Cyan Sarden

OB1Shinobi wrote: every religion uses fictional characters from made up stories to express moral truths

Didn't want to offend anyone, but my thoughts exactly. I fail to see the difference between reading the fundament ideas behind the Star Wars myth and those found in, say, the Bible. Other than the Bible's being around a lot longer, obviously, and often accepted as fact rather than mythology conveying implied meaning.

Jediism has the advantage of being based on fiction - this fact makes it a lot easier to concentrate on the messages behind the myths represented in Star Wars, than, say, Christianity - where a lot of precious time is wasted on discussing whether the Bible is meant to be read implicitly or taken for fact.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
8 years 11 months ago #192091 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:Free Thought or Dogma?
I was talking about fictional religions with a good friend of mine a little while ago. We both agreed that some fictional religions feel more genuine than real ones. The stories and morals are the without all the bickering and rutting.

I forget his example but my favorite is a magic system called "the Wild Magic" from the Obsidian Trilogy. Yes, it's found its way into my personal practices haha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi