Who's your favorite philosopher?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174287 by
My favorite philosopher so far has to be Niche. Especially since his work with the genealogical method has helped me in forming my own (in progress) model.

I'm putting up this thread mainly to see any philosophers I have not been exposed to and partially to get a feel for the philosophical climate hear in the philosophy subforum.

Go.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174289 by Alexandre Orion
Nietzsche :S

I don't have a favourite. Many have been insightful.

As says Iain McGilchrist, "Nietzsche in small doses can be illuminating ; too much is 'intellectual death'."

:laugh: (I just find that funny, that's all ...)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174293 by
Replied by on topic Who's your favorite philosopher?
My grandfather. I just didn't know that for a very long time.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174295 by
I desperately need to learn to actually spell Nietzsche. I fail at that too often being he is my favorite philosopher. To Rickie, I am glad you found a connection like that with your grandpa.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 4 months ago #174298 by Jestor
I can't say I have a favorite either...

It like saying your "favorite food" of "book"..

We all run through phases, through times where we find a favorite X, and gorge ourselves on this thing....

Then, after so long, we move onto other things which we base all other comparisons on....

And, all pizza is now compared to a "white garlic pizza in Ottawa, Illinois", in case you were wondering.... lol...

I would also recommend Marcus Aurelius, as a hero of mine... Lao Tzu, Eckert Tolle, Dr. Suess, Douglas Adams, and so many more....

Sometimes, the gem is hidden....:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Edan

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174299 by
Never heard of Marcus Aurelius, or Eckhart Tolle, so thank you for pointing me there. I'm a little bit of a philosophy fanatic so I love to find new voices. I wish there was more job security for people majoring in philosophy but since i don't intend to be a professor I chose my second greatest passion which is psychology.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174300 by

Veran_Seawolf wrote: I desperately need to learn to actually spell Nietzsche. I fail at that too often being he is my favorite philosopher. To Rickie, I am glad you found a connection like that with your grandpa.

I think a lot of philosophers tell us what we already know. We just need it told to us over and over before it sinks in. If it ever does.

We are surrounded with people that are wise philosophers. We just don't listen to them because we know better, that is until of course we get experience ourselves. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174306 by
Albert Camus... though I've never pronounced his name properly...or intend in doing so ;)

More
9 years 4 months ago #174315 by Edan
I'm totally all for Marcus Aurelius; 'Meditations' is a book I have at almost all times.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #174322 by
Mine is probably Alan Watts. As for the reason- he makes me laugh through his explanations that seem so simple and evident afterwards that you wonder why you didn't think of them before, :p

I'm interested in learning about other philoshopers/philosophies as well- something you might like to check out for brief summaries of several well-known philoshophers is this youtube channel- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwxNMb28XmpeypJMHfNbJ4RAFkRtmAN3P called School of Life. Maybe you'd enjoy it?
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi